PDA

View Full Version : Work Experience in aviation

doogle92
1st Mar 2009, 15:55
Hi all.
didn't really know what topic this thread would come under but i'd guess here.
Where would you suggest a 17 year old interested in becoming a commerical pilot should go for a weeks compulsory work experience? I've already tried several RAF bases and they're all either full or only take people living near the bases. BAA at southampton doesn't have any placements so i'm really out of ideas. Looks like i'm gonna be sitting in an office watching someone else do they're job. :hmm:
Any ideas?

1mag1n3
1st Mar 2009, 19:18
Well, my suggestion would have been an RAF base, since I went to RAF Leeming, and it was an absolutely fantastic week and I got to sit in tornadoes, hawks and got a flight in a tutor doing aerobatics. I would recommend you to try as hard as possible to get a placement at a RAF base, in ATC or something. I did mine in ATC and it was so good. I learned so much that week.

Other than that I could say trying local airfields, and perhaps gliding clubs. Just try everywhere. Thats what I did, and it paid off. :ok:

Flintstone
1st Mar 2009, 19:32
doogle.

I take it you're in the south west, how about Farnborough? TAG have given work experience in the past.

arpansingla
2nd Mar 2009, 08:27
I also found it very difficult to find anything aviation related. However I managed to get a week at London City Airport in September 2006. PM me for details

Halfbaked_Boy
2nd Mar 2009, 09:23
Hi,

I did a couple of weeks work experience at Bonus Aviation Engineering at Cranfield when I was 16 - personally I'm glad I went there as opposed to working in some airline office somewhere - very practical, I learnt a lot about the workings of light aeroplanes that the PPL/ATPL theory never teaches you, and overall how useless us pilots are at preflighting an aircraft!

Just another idea for you - especially if you're a practical person :ok:

corsair
2nd Mar 2009, 16:08
Have your toured all the local airfields with flying schools or maintenance shops and asked. I saw a young lad do that recently when in taking a class, and I'm pretty sure he got one. They can usually do with another slave......sorry trainee.