PDA

View Full Version : Ferry Flight Experience

Private Partz
1st Mar 2009, 08:07
I've heard about a flight school that does ferries from the USA to Oz who will take student pilots along for the experience.

Any Prooners ever done this whose able to relate thier own experiences and advice costs involved? Does any of the time count towards your logbook?

LambOfGod
2nd Mar 2009, 07:41
Seems a little shifty...:confused: My parents might get a little worried...

edite: I think (not sure) but SPL's need to be on the LHS to get time. Although if it's through a flying school I guess it might work being on the left. But now i'm understanding your post more and thinking this reply is a bit dumb... With all these elipsis and all... But do students need to be in the training area:confused:

VH-XXX
2nd Mar 2009, 09:12
It really depends on the aircraft type. Many a ferry aircraft are operated with specially fitted ferry tanks and are operated at or over MTOW so there's lots of if's and butts.

Mach E Avelli
2nd Mar 2009, 09:29
Under the FAA system, you don't need a type rating (endorsement for we out-of-step Aussies) if its max AUW is below 5700 kg. But you would need an instrument rating, multi rating etc as applicable to the operation to log time.

For anyone brave enough to ferry a single, I suppose you could log the time as either x-country dual or ICUS, but it would have to be under the auspices of a recognised flying training organisation, controlled somehow by a CFI. I don't think a student pilot can just jump into any old ferry situation with a non-instructor in a non flight school operation and log the time.

On the other hand, an unrestricted PPL could probably log the whole lot as command, or ICUS depending on the mood of the ferry pilot. Who could challenge it?

If the aeroplane is tanked for an overweight ferry, not many light twins or singles would be able to carry two pilots anyway. Sounds a bit suss to me, so don't send money!

Cloud Basher
2nd Mar 2009, 17:34
I don't believe PPL's can log ICUS, only CPL's and ATPL's.

Cheers
CB

WannaBeBiggles
2nd Mar 2009, 19:24
Mate the company you are thinking of is Clamback and Hennessy (Clamback & Hennessy (http://www.clahen.com.au))... though 10 seconds with the search facility searching for "ferry" would have given you that result :ugh:

I have heard that they do give some of their commercial w/MECIR guys and gals experience ferrying, though not sure of the legal implications as the risks of ferrying aircraft are real, Ray has ditched twice and Lyn once. (through no fault of their own)

But from all accounts C&H are a good establishment and will teach you to a high standard.

tnuc
2nd Mar 2009, 20:13
A ferry flight is usually conducted on a special flight permit.
The conditions of imposed by the permit will decide is a second pilot can be on board the aircraft
conditions as "essensial crew only" - hard for a SP to be deemed as essensial to the flight, and permitting flight at say 130% MTOW but the extra weight is only for fuel

Jay Bo
2nd Mar 2009, 21:01
I don't think you can log time unless you have an FAA licence as the aircraft leaving the US is still registered as an N number.
They fly VFR so there is no requirements for an IR but I think they would require someone with more experience than a spl.
Also you have to pay your own way there and your accomodation and be prepared for delays as necessary. On one ferry they were stuck in the us for a month waiting for repairs before they could set out.

VH-XXX
2nd Mar 2009, 22:16
C&H certainly are the guru's when it comes to ferrying of aircraft. If they were offering it publically then I would consider that as gospel.