PDA

View Full Version : Ethiopian MD 11 jobs

DMN
1st Mar 2009, 06:11
Hi guys,

Does anyone have any info on Ethiopian MD 11 positions? I currently fly it and wouldnt mind a change of scenery. What is it like for an expat in Addis? Rent for a western standard apartment? How safe is it?

Thanks

wonderdog
2nd Mar 2009, 20:17
I spent a few weeks there last April/May messing around with a UN airlift. As African countires go it's not too bad at all. A coptic Christian country mostly.It is safe and friendly, with a few decent bars and restaurants. Mobile phone charges are extremely expensive. Best coffee in the world, truly, apparently there are 10,000 different species of wild coffee plants growing there. Lots of ancient sites to visit around the country.Scenery is spectacular.Addis is very green and if you like horse riding, you can get them from the Italian Embassy and clear off into the mountains for a few hours....if you fancy a change for a while you couldn't do much better.

...enjoy.

DMN
2nd Mar 2009, 22:31
Thanks for the reply, sounds nice enough. Yesterday I received the contract and the money is on the low side so I probably won't be pursuing it any longer.

cheers

hetfield
3rd Mar 2009, 05:16
@DMN

Enjoy it, I like ethiopia as well.

But be carefull, HAAB can be demanding, specially for "fast" ships like MD11.
:)

davidaz68
3rd Mar 2009, 11:29
true, md11 is definetly not the perfect plane for addis ababa.
Anyway, the payscale is not so bad if you add everything and living there is very cheap.
They have already the crew for the first a/c, the second is scheduled for august and they are still interviewing through parc aviation.

DMN
3rd Mar 2009, 11:36
It sure would be an adventure. Moneywise Im making a little less but days off, staff travel and cost of living right now more then make up for that 10% pay difference. Perhaps if I really needed a job I would go full throttle for this position.

Good luck anyone applying.

hetfield
3rd Mar 2009, 11:43
AND

Ethiopians are nice to work with. I flew a lot in Kenia, Kongo and Nigeria, but Ethiopians I like best.:)

wonderdog
4th Mar 2009, 05:49
Hetfield is right, I too have been around most of Africa and Ethiopia beats them all, although not hard in the case of Nigeria,can't speak for the DRC though, although the other Congo north of there I've been to a lot.

Good on you DMN for at least having a choice,I let my career slide after getting my CPL many moons ago (1992),women and all that !! Ended up flight managing and loadying and finally several stints managing ops in currently active ME and Asian war zones. Been current since last Aug and would love a trawl around sunny climes flying something small/med and bush before I go to seed or out to pasture, whichever comes first ;)

Stay out of the trees whichever way you choose to go...

...wonderdog :cool:

b377
4th Mar 2009, 14:11
.. with a few decent bars and restaurants. ... Best coffee in the world, truly, apparently there are 10,000 different species of wild coffee plants growing there ..

:* for the best coffee in the world you must go to Colombia and pick it straight off Juan Valez' mule pack. :ok: