PDA

View Full Version : Pac750xl

the wizard of auz
1st Mar 2009, 03:16
I am in need of a PAC750XL endo. Looking for an aircraft and endorser. The closer to WA or direct flights the better.
Cheers, Wiz.

Jabawocky
1st Mar 2009, 03:45
There is one at YRED doing meat bombing..... they might be able to help you out. Not that far from you......;)

J:ok:

UnderneathTheRadar
1st Mar 2009, 05:05
Skydive Nagambie near Mangalore - a little bit closer?!

Remember that it's Cresco class endorsement so if you might find one of those a little closer.

Don't forget a cushion - the seats are rivaled only by the airvan for lack of comfort - and a warm clothes - PAC didn't feel it necessary to provide a heater for an a/c designed to fly in the FLs

UTR.

Clear to drop
1st Mar 2009, 09:57
UTR,

PAC have 3 heater options for the 750XL. Details are in flight manual supplements 8, 14 and 25.

Unfortunately the machine i know is fitted with the supplement 25 version that cannot be used in the climb or descent.

CTD.

the wizard of auz
1st Mar 2009, 11:17
Case of having to. even though I have a few hours in them, I never got the endo.... and now I require it.
Seat was a bit utilitarian when I flew the PAC....... thats one thing that stands right out in my memory.:sad:

UnderneathTheRadar
1st Mar 2009, 13:09
Unfortunately the machine i know is fitted with the supplement 25 version that cannot be used in the climb or descent.

With your monkier, I'm guessing that leaves you about 2 minutes worth of heat available per flight? The one I know doesn't even have that option.....

And that peice of sh!t storage area that you put your foot through every time you climb into the bloody school chair seat

Agreed - that is bloody terrible isn't it!

While we're at it, how about the rudder - it's like they built a plane then at the last minute realised they'd forgotten something and bolted one on. It certainly serves no useful aviation purpose and explains the rather limited crosswind limits.....

tinpis
1st Mar 2009, 18:48
You should have tried a 260HP Fletcher.Then you would understand.:uhoh:

NNB
1st Mar 2009, 18:57
morning Owen
long time
NNB

Tinstaafl
1st Mar 2009, 19:04
I flew a Fletcher once. It had been re-engined from a Continental 520 to a 300 HP Lycoming 540. Interesting watching it being done with jigs made to make sure all the bits rear of the firewall stay in the correct relative position to the prop. while the between bit is removed & rebuilt. Rather slow & tedious work, I thought.

I was struck by the large, fairly heavy control movements needed to effect just a small & slow response. Wouldn't fancy a day of ag work in one. Don't suppose Messrs Britten & Norman had a hand in the design of this one too, did they?

Brian Abraham
1st Mar 2009, 22:46
Don't suppose Messrs Britten & Norman had a hand in the design of this one too, did they
Down to one John Thorp who also gave us the Lockheed Neptune, T-18 home built and everyones favorite the Cherokee. Also the very sweet looking Wing Derringer.

the wizard of auz
1st Mar 2009, 23:11
I managed a flight in a 720 powered feltcher. It was alarming to see how much fuel it used for a quick ten minute maintenance flight. :eek: It was a fairly lively take off though. :E

HarleyD
2nd Mar 2009, 03:26
Ginger Meggs will do an endo on the Skydive Nagambie one by arrangement. PM me if you want contact details.

Used to sperad super in Flitchers, they have wonderful soft riding oleos (when they stay up), were hot as hell in the summer and deafeningly noisy all the time and had a rudder that may well have only been painted on the fin.

It is actually possible to operate them at about 80 litres an hour if you pull the levers back progressively while on a load, other company pilots used to get up to 100 or more litres per hour by just leaving the levers at 25/25 all the time. One pilot explained that if you are a bit short of strip on take off just pull the prop right back into full coarse for a second or two! it apparently jumps into the air, but you need to prompt getting it back up!

Had the evevators lock in the full up position on takeoff one time on a down hill one way strip, pulled all the levers back jammed the brales full on and slid down the hill through a couple of fences, luckily not trees, big groundy before the dam and pulled the tyre off one rim and the brake caliper off the other wheel! It was flying again the next day.

You caould aways pick the fletcher pilots as they are like a crab with one big thick muscly popeye arm for the stick and a smaller left arm for everything else.

HD

slackie
2nd Mar 2009, 03:43
Watched much of the flight testing of the XL750 at NZHN, and funnily enough a lot centred around the rear fuse and rudder...many iterations were seen, and they all seemed to get bigger and further back...makes you wonder what the first ones were like....I'd be guessing "NOT FLASH".

solowflyer
2nd Mar 2009, 07:11
Done a few hundred hours in the fletchers to they are great fun but are designed for apes (long arms and short legs)

Clear to drop
2nd Mar 2009, 09:27
And that peice of sh!t storage area that you put your foot through every time you climb into the bloody school chair seatI've got two small tab steps up the side to get in through the side window, still have to be a bit of a gymnast. The other option is through a narrow forward cargo barrier and negotiate the storage area.

I'd like to see PAC create a larger rudder trim tab, or increase the deflection of the current one. I think my right quadricep is 25% larger than the left.

Cross wind landings can be fun, I'm told the additional surface of a cargo pod makes it more enjoyable.

The guys in the back complain about the lack of cabin ventilation, only an issue up the front while taxiing.

Whiskey Oscar Golf
2nd Mar 2009, 11:21
Wiz, I'm pretty sure UTS still have a few Fletchers about and I heard they had some 750's. As for an endorsement, I don't know who the AOC holder is these days but Reidy in Scone used to be the man. Anyone here flown his "Stallion" Fletcher conversion?

Fugro still have the Cresco but again unsure of endorsements. They are the only ones I know of in WA.

I sort of like and hate the beasts at the same time myself. Too much time either squashed against the windscreen or being bashed down the back on comp flights.

ZEEBEE
2nd Mar 2009, 15:54
The Fletcher etc will NEVER replace the aeroplane.

Brian, Indeed, Thorp was the progenitor for the design, but it went sadly wrong somewhere as compared to his other sweet designs.

In fact hard to believe how wrong it got!

Wiz, the only ones I know for endorsments are over on the East Coast.
However, UTS are pretty quiet these days, and might be willing to get some utilisation from theirs.

Flying Crescos, Fletchers et al must be the ultimate in masochism.