View Full Version : To dye or not to dye, that is the question - Just for men

mona lot
28th Feb 2009, 20:29
I am posting this question on behalf of a friend.

Gray hair creeps up on you — sometimes literally.

A little grey can make men look distinguished and give them gravitas. Some ladies even seem to like grey haired men, look at George Clooney, Richard Gere and Philip Schofield aka The Silver Fox.

According to the teachings of Buddha “grey hairs are like angels sent by the god of death”.

So is it better to let nature run its course and go for the distinguished salt and pepper look or invest in Just for men/Back to Black?

I draw the line at syrups and comeovers.

Standard Noise
28th Feb 2009, 20:45
Go grey gracefully, never worry about it.

Oh sorry, tell your friend 'go grey gracefully, never worry about it.'

oopspff7
28th Feb 2009, 20:46
Surely looking at Paul MacCartney answers this question.:ok:

Ken Wells
28th Feb 2009, 20:56
Many years ago I worked for L'Oreal. Products like Grecian 2000 contain lead acetate and eventually with every day use it destroys the hair root and you will go bald, as the loss is gradual, people think it is natural but it is not.

There is no such thing as grey hair only transparent and pigmented.
The grey look comes from some hair still retaining pigment and shining through the transparent hair.

Do not use Hair dye! You will retain your hair a lot longer, if you just wash and condition it.

Better having grey hair than a complete slap head anyway......
:eek:

Pause

Waits for the slap heads to reply!!!!!!!!:ooh:

Howard Hughes
28th Feb 2009, 20:57
Some streaks maybe, but don't ever die your hair one colour, it just looks wrong!:eek:

Ooops I mean 'your friend'...;)

Parapunter
28th Feb 2009, 21:03
Better a bald head than no head at all. As no doubt Charles the 1st amongst others, pondered.

con-pilot
28th Feb 2009, 21:08
Ah hell, my hair has been gray so long I can't remember when it was dark.

(Got some pictures around here somewhere that shows me with dark hair, can't find them though. :()

Parapunter
28th Feb 2009, 21:10
I started going grey in my twenties. My mates all went bald in their twenties. I feel lucky for that.

bnt
28th Feb 2009, 21:17
I'm pretty convinced I'd look better grey than with my current very-dark brown. At 40, my beard's getting there first with some salt-and-pepper, but full-on grey doesn't run in my family AFAIK.

I had a flatmate who turned totally grey in her 20s - but never found out until she spent some time recovering from surgery and couldn't be bothered to keep up the façade.

Parapunter
28th Feb 2009, 21:27
Just wait BNT, won't be long before it heads south & I'm talking the Antarctic here.:{

Mr Chips
28th Feb 2009, 21:36
I'm grey at the temples, looks awful with longish hair, looks fine when i have the sides shaved

I call it my ex Marine Colonel look :E

CR2
28th Feb 2009, 21:37
Started getting grey hair at 21. Never bothered me.

Michael SWS
28th Feb 2009, 22:09
If you're going to dye your hair don't use Just For Men, which seemingly only comes in colours you might polish your boots with. Use L'Oreal Excellence or something similar, and select from the huge pallette of gorgeous colours available. And don't forget to use the pre-colour serum and post-colour conditioner to counteract the effects of the peroxide.

I've been dying my hair since I was 16. Not because I was grey (although I probably now have more than a few grey hairs somewhere beneath my Natural Dark Blonde locks) but simply because... well... who wants to be stuck with the same colour hair all their life?

Once, in Guatemala in 1991, I was stopped in the street by an American woman who just wanted to tell me what a gorgeous colour my hair was. And it was.

Don't ever try to dye your eyebrows to match, though. Trust me on that one.

mona lot
28th Feb 2009, 22:12
Thanks for all your replies, I will pass them on to my friend.

Who would have thought hair dye could make you loose your hair and turn you into a;

http://www.time4toys.com/images/bubblegumcolourpix/42.gif

Anyhow, is it true, do ladies find grey hair distinguished?

Ken Wells
28th Feb 2009, 22:17
excellent!

I was working in New York years ago, and I remeber this rather attaractive girl saying she loved grey hair on men, as all Americans dye theirs black and looked silly like Burt Reynolds. I pointed out he actually wore a wig, which she thought was even more stupid.

Glamgirl
28th Feb 2009, 22:41
Yes, grey hair can be distinguished (sp?).

However...

If the hair in question is long, no (actually, long hair on men is wrong, full stop, such as Stringfellow, Michael Bolton and Rod Stewart)

If you're going bald, shave it all off, or at least cut it short-short.

You'd be surprised as to how many girls like the short-short hair at the back of your neck to stroke. Purrr....

Go natural, girls can spot it when you're not ;)

Gg

Beatriz Fontana
28th Feb 2009, 22:57
Real men don't dye...

hellsbrink
28th Feb 2009, 23:04
I can't answer the question, my hair don't stay in long enough to turn grey

Gordy
28th Feb 2009, 23:06
I posted my escapades on the subject a few months ago:

A Rush of extreme highlights (http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/352122-rush-extreme-highlights.html)

eticket
28th Feb 2009, 23:06
You'd be surprised as to how many girls like the short-short hair at the back of your neck to stroke. Purrr....

Well mine's short and curly!:E

Beatriz Fontana
28th Feb 2009, 23:08
I do know someone who - many moons ago - had highlights, a bad chemical reaction, hair turned green, was ordered to get it cut... :uhoh:

tart1
28th Feb 2009, 23:49
comeovers

Comeovers? :confused:

Sounds messy, especially in hair.

Bullethead
1st Mar 2009, 00:53
Comeovers?

Sounds messy, especially in hair.

Looked alright on Cameron Diaz! :E

V2-OMG!
1st Mar 2009, 01:18
Bullethead, lol! I was thinking same.

But to get back to the question, go salt 'n pepper, then grey, A solid block of colour on anyone over 40 is harsh and aging!

Is there anything worse than long grey hair on a man or woman???

I think bald/partially bald with a goatee is sexy, as long as the hair is short and the goatee is tidy. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......pant, pant.

brickhistory
1st Mar 2009, 01:21
Twice in two minutes!?

Is the subject still grey hair?

Otherwise, I'm out.......

To quote Toby Keith: I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

Well, in my mind anyway...

G-DAVE
1st Mar 2009, 01:23
Just accept what is happening.

My girlfriend loves the 'silver fox' look, thats great because when I don't shave, my stubble shows the signs of 'silver'!

My advice (not taken by many), is accept what you have got, and make the most of it.

But, NEVER, EVER, attempt a comb over, only ever worked for Bobby Charlton, and he WAS/IS a ledgend! :ok:

Loose rivets
1st Mar 2009, 01:45
My hair is strange, when it's wet, it's almost black, when it's been out in the Texas sun and dust, it's near to white. So, I walk round with a filled goldfish bowl over me head.:}

Was up me S-I-L's house and a tad worse for wear.

"Why don't you colour your hair?" says she. I look at the box that she's plonked on the table...there's a handsome young chap on it, with masses of dark brown hair.

"Will it make me shlooook like him?" I slur.

"Yes, of course it will."

"Yeah, brilliant! Go for it."

Sil sticks me head in the sink and sets about knocking 20 years off my age. Vague images of looking like Tom Cruise and of being plied with another bottle of plonk. Rivetess drives me home.

Next day I have no recollection of the proceedings, and make my way to the bathroom.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh! WTF!!!!!!!

I look like that politician that's just been busted for selling seats in the Senate.

After days of hiding I go to get the kids from school. The law of Sod has a lot to answer for. For the first time ever, I meet some friends. They can't speak. They can't keep straight faces either. Then my neighbors..."Gee, you look so young!" also said with teeth locked together to stop the laughter bursting out.

but, I got the last laugh. When back home I got a really hot date, and she kept remarking how I hadn't changed a jot in years. So...all's well and all that.:rolleyes: