PDA

View Full Version : Scotland Da42 Group

techboy
28th Feb 2009, 09:07
As there are NO suitable Multi Eng a/c in Scotland to hire,
Looking at setting up a members group on the DA42 Twinstar a/c
Open to suggestions for a base.( Cumbernauld/Prestwick/Perth/Dundee )
I have been in contact with Diamond regarding lease arrangements.

(there is an seneca 1 at PIK although not certified for icing conditions and not cheap)

Please contact or PM me for more info.

biggles7374
28th Feb 2009, 22:17
Hi Techboy

It is encouraging to see that GA goes on in Scotland despite the economic crisis and the constant pressure to close down GA.

I lived in Scotland for a while but now am living in Australia.

I don't know whether this is a climate related thing but my local flying college currently has 4 DA42's and they are all grounded, and this is not the first time they have been grounded for extended periods. I am lead to believe that this is a national issue and that CASA are involved somewhere along the line and that it is something to do with the engines.

Thielert who produce the engines went bust last year and this cause all sorts of problems with gettin spares, technical support etc.

Don't know if any of this is relevant to you but it may be worth considering making a few enquiries.

Biggles

Domi
28th Feb 2009, 22:55
Getting parts from Thielert is not a problem any more. It is just a question of money. The bankruptcy of Thielert stopped the warranty and made the operationnal costs increase beyond limits. Do not underestimate the maintenance costs which were experienced around 190€/FH :{

My 2 cents.

MIKECR
1st Mar 2009, 06:47
I thought the seneca at Dundee(Tayside Aviation) was available for self hire if it wasn't being utilised for IR training.

Karl Bamforth
1st Mar 2009, 09:34
Hmmmmmm sounds like there are some cheap DA42 going in Australia then.
If they are grounded it is probably by choice.

OwnNav
1st Mar 2009, 18:23
Techboy

I've just sent a PM

techboy
1st Mar 2009, 21:50
Thanks for the PMs guys...
Really need the number of people interested before the monthly pennies can be calculated...
Also looking into Sub leasing the a/c for hire to local clubs although there will be implications on the operating category and insurance.
If interested please indicate your preference for base and licences/ratings....

Say again s l o w l y
1st Mar 2009, 22:05
Have you looked at the no-equity DA 42 group in Blackpool and how they do it?

Good luck with it by the way.

Pilot DAR
2nd Mar 2009, 01:22
DA42L, approved with Lycomings is on the horizon....

Saint
16th Jul 2009, 11:12
It seems that the new diesel is approved:
Diamond Aircraft (http://www.diamondaircraft.com/news/news-article.php?id=95)

Is anybody currently operating a DA42 in scotland?

MaintainYourHeading
16th Jul 2009, 13:40
hello all,

indeed the Austro engine has been approved and just as a heads up Diamond will not deliver the Thielert engine starting january 2010... every new airplane will come with the Austro engine... I also know the Austro engine has much better performance ! I would suggest to get the airplane with the Austro engine right away !!!

As having quite a lot of experience on the DA42 myself I will say with no hesitation that the DA42 is an amazing airplane !!!! besides the fact that these 2 diesel engines will burn just about 12 gallons an hour total !!! However I don't find the Thielert engines reliable enough... I am certain the change of engine can only be better (otherwise Diamond would not be doing that change) on all aspects: financial and with regard to safety...

cheers

Pilot DAR
17th Jul 2009, 20:09
every new airplane will come with the Austro engine

Not every new airplane....

Scott Diamond
17th Jul 2009, 22:58
Should fly from Fife Glenrothes - very cheap! :ok:

Pilot DAR
18th Jul 2009, 00:24
Diamond has announced the alternative engine approval, which was granted this morning:

Diamond Aircraft (http://www.diamondaircraft.com/news/news-article.php?id=101)

Having done some flying in this aircraft during certification testing, I can tell you that it is a winner. In many respects this is the best IO-360 installation I have ever flown. The engine controls are a work of engineering art, and the engine indication system is wonderful to use. The mixture of the well known engine, with a truly delightful and innovative aircraft, blends the best of new and proven wonderfully.

I have no doubt that the DA42L will be very popular. My complements to the people of Diamond Aircraft Canada.

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo252/PilotDAR/Jims%20DAR%20Testing/File0258.jpg

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo252/PilotDAR/Jims%20DAR%20Testing/File0273.jpg

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo252/PilotDAR/Jims%20DAR%20Testing/File0262.jpg

baguette
10th Nov 2009, 16:18
Hi Guys,

I completed my CPL IR on the DA42 with CTC back in April. Funds allowing, I'd be very interested in taking part in a joint venture in Scotland (Dundee's my nearest airport).

Some of our guys had their share of fun with the old Thielert engines - cracks in the cylinder heads leading to coolant leakage and engine failure. A programme to slowly upgrade all of our engines was about half way through by the time I left. All in all though, a pleasure to fly.

Garry

Flyingmac
11th Nov 2009, 07:44
Is that prop feathered?

techboy
21st Feb 2013, 23:40
looks like the interest is flaring up again on private club again...
would be interested to know if folk still want to fly modern piston multi out of Scotland.

I have also just posted in the light aircraft forum.. new group starting up at either PIK or Cumbernauld and North weald flying LSA or LAA???

rokospol via 600kg sports aircraft. google flyrokospol and you will see they sell the aeroplane on there... dont think there is a site setup for the flying group yet...
that could also be interesting? very cheap to fly

A and C
23rd Feb 2013, 10:26
The wings come off the DA42 without much effort so importing an aircraft such as the ones mentioned above in Australia can be done by surface freight rather than an expensive ferry flight half was around the world.

This option might increase your prospective buying targets

vetflyer
23rd Feb 2013, 17:42
yes

just PM ed you

techboy
24th Feb 2013, 18:03
This is the mobile twitter link for the potential group

https://mobile.twitter.com/FlyRokospol/status/305135409829117952