PDA

View Full Version : Cadet assesment for Air Astana

Tima84
27th Feb 2009, 15:53
Hello, everybody!
In the middle of march, I am supposed to fly to Amsterdam for Air Astana's cadet screening.
I already passed their COMPASS test and basic english interview, so the next part of screening, as I heard is going to be on how good I can work in a team and the simulator test. I have no clue what the simulator test consists of. Can anybody help me out? Maybe somebody here has already passed a similar screening for another airline? I will apreaciate any help! How should I act on teamwork tests? What kind of tasks will they require me to acomplish in the simulator? I use my computer Flight Simulator X as training aid. Will it help Thanks a lot in advance.

PilotBerg
2nd Mar 2009, 09:08
I am sorry but I can't help you out with the questions, but how did you get into the cadet screening??

captain.weird
3rd Mar 2009, 20:56
I have a question, do you have to be an Kazak citizen to take part of the cadet scheme?

abhi88
4th Mar 2009, 08:51
:}You have to be something like BORAT to get into the cadet scheme...

Reluctant737
4th Mar 2009, 09:16
Now that's a scary thought!

Captain Borat and First Officer Azamat :E

Tima84
6th Mar 2009, 07:07
Yeah yeah, heard enough of that, come up with something new.
Anybody got some grown up thoughts on the screening I am about to go through or all you guys do is watch that Ali G show?

skyhighbird
6th Mar 2009, 14:05
Yagshemash!

perhaps they may have taken you a little more serious if you didn't mention Flight Sim X. Because that really did make me think of Borat.

Good luck anyway.

High Five!!!

Tima84
6th Mar 2009, 19:20
Yakshemash:)
Well, I have nothing better to use as a training aid other than FSX. Do you have any suggestions?
Maaaan, these Borat jokes are getting old, really. I used to love them too, but there comes a point when they are not funny anymore. Please, at least say them in context of real help. If you have nothing else to say dont spoil the topic. That is just inpolite, in my opinion.

Captain weird, yes, you have to be a Kazakhstan citizen in order to go qualify.

Jet Cockpit
6th Mar 2009, 22:59
Well done so far. If you have logged enough hours on FSX! it shouldn't be a big deal. The sim check should only assess your hand-eye co-ordination or pilot aptitude. They won't expect you to fly like airline captains or to apply airline cockpit procedures. You should usually be given a brief on what is expected of you: medium and steep turns, turn onto heading ... , descend/climb to this altitude.
Just remember that attitude controls speed and power your rate of climb or descent. I would suggest you learn the very basics of flying manoeuvres (practical part of it). PM if you require additional help.

All the best.

Tima84
7th Mar 2009, 06:31
Thanks a lot!
I will PM you.

fernando1
16th Oct 2016, 13:05
Hello

Can anybody help me out? In the end of this month, I am going to Amsterdan for Air Astana's Capitain screening.

Maybe somebody here has passed a similar screening. What kind of tasks will they require me to acomplish in the simulator? I will apreaciate any help! Thanks a lot in advance.

ShamrockF
17th Oct 2016, 09:15
Tima84,

Most of these cadet assessments are looking for Pilapt skills. If you use a joystick with FSX it'll help you in that area, especially for the 2D and 3D skills. Another useful resource you might consider is the Skytest or PilotAptitudeTest.com. These will get you comfortable practicing the more basic pilapt tests that most cadet assessments use.

For the group exercise, don't be overly dominant. Make sensible comments and observations during the exercise. You'll often find some people jump straight in and want to show their leadership skills. They often lose marks as they're speaking before considering the options properly or listening to others. Keep your mouth shut for a few minutes and let everyone speak. Also, keep a close eye on the time and tell the group you'll keep an eye on time. This shows you're observing the group exercise time requirements and will score you a few points.

In the last two minutes, call the group together and say "Ok, let's just summarise here and get a final answer Mr. X, you made a good point about this topic, Ms. Y, you also made a good point about that topic. Can we agree these are good ideas and go with them?" Even if they disagree with what you say, the team observing will notice you're pulling them together to get to an answer, which is what they're looking for.

Whatever you do, don't argue during these exercises. Keep calm.

Hopefully this is of some help.