PDA

View Full Version : Aerobatic Permit A/C

Unusual Attitude
27th Feb 2009, 11:56
Looking to make my first outright purchase of an Aerobaitic Permit aircraft having had shares in the usual Cessna sort of aircraft for about the last 10 years.

The two types I'm seriously considering are the Tipsy Nipper with a Jabiru engine and the Rans S10 (which also has the benefit of 2 seats). The aircraft will be hangered and strip length is not a factor.

Can anyone offer any advice or a comparison of the two aircraft (flying, running costs etc) as I've yet to fly either? I'm pretty aware of the Nipper costs and handling / weight pitfalls as there is a lot of good info on the net but I cant find much on the Rans.

Any advice on either of the two greatly appreciated, either that or any other possible candidates in the sub £20k price range though that could be stretched if required.

Kind regards

UA

Croqueteer
27th Feb 2009, 18:15
:ok: Pitts S1c with 150hp. By far the most bangs per buck, should be able to get one for £12-18000. look in the USA but with care.

Them thar hills
27th Feb 2009, 19:09
UA
You may do better on the LAA website with regard to the Rans S10.
Bolkow Juniors are (or were ) classed as semi aerobatic (+4.4 / -1.76) like the Beagle Pup. But the Bolkow is on an LAA Permit-to Fly.
A Nipper with an Acro 1834 would be better than the Jab powered Nipper. Barry Smith is the man to talk to regarding Nippers.
tth

Mad Girl
27th Feb 2009, 19:17
Bolkow Juniors are (or were ) classed as semi aerobatic (+4.4 / -1.76) like the Beagle Pup. But the Bolkow is on an LAA Permit-to Fly.

Just because two aeroplanes have the same G rating doesn't mean that the POH clears them for the same level of aerobatics...

I've looked at both and had copies of POH's sent to me.... drastically different. Bolkow Junior is good for LAROSA only... The Pup has a much better repertoire.

DB6
27th Feb 2009, 19:39
MG, WMYTTAHAFCW LAROSA means?

Them thar hills
27th Feb 2009, 19:46
LAROSA = Loops and rolls on a Sunday afternoon.

EKAT !

(= Everyone Knows About That !)

tth

Mad Girl
27th Feb 2009, 19:54

Sorry.... I hate 3 letter acronyms so I really shouldn't have put LAROSA up - apologies. :sad:

Unusual Attitude
28th Feb 2009, 16:38
Thanks all for the Info.

TTH - Had considered the Bolkow but cant find one for sale at the moment. Am aware of the Acro engine Nipper but they are apparently rarer than hens teeth and I also need one with the extended seat mod since I'm a bit of a tall chap! There is a nice Jab engine one for sale at the moment -(G-CCFE) if anyone knows it which I'm seriously considering as it pretty much ticks all the boxes.

Croq - didnt realise the Pitts came into my budget however imagine the shipping costs will add another few £K to that for starters?

MG - If nothing else at least I've learned what LAROSA means !! :)

Regards

UA

18greens
28th Feb 2009, 17:37
Its got to be the pitts. No Question. Nippers are novel but the pitts sets the aerobatic standard.

In these sraightened times I would imagine a pitts for 20 k in the UK is quite possible.

Zulu Alpha
28th Feb 2009, 18:45
There's a Bolkow for sale in this months Free Pilot magazine.

I do agree that a Pitts would be the most bang for your buck. However they are only single seat so no taking your mates for LAROSA.

I'm sure that you will get bored with the limited aerobatics capability of the RANS etc. The Pitts will last the longest until you get bored.

Have you thought about getting a share?

ZA

Unusual Attitude
28th Feb 2009, 19:52
Cheers for that ZA, would indeed consider a share however I live in Aberdeen where GA is all but dead now so aircraft options are very limited.

There is a Pitts at Longside and I've been asking one of the group members for a share for about 18months.The aircraft has however had engine problems for the last year or so and they don't want to expand the group to allow new members.

Must admit the Rans is bottom of my list and looking less attractive the more I find out. Bolkow might suit, does anyone have the details of that add?

Regards

UA

Zulu Alpha
28th Feb 2009, 20:50
The phone number is 01604 770191/720023.
1966 Bolkow Junior 2450hrs
£10,000
650hrs engine.
It is EASA C of A not permit.

Good luck

ZA

usedtofly
1st Mar 2009, 07:03

Nevermind LAROSA .....WTH does WMYTTAHAFCW mean?

:sad:

DB6
1st Mar 2009, 12:02
What Makes You Think That Anyone Has A F*%&ing Clue What.........
annoying isn't it?

will5023
1st Mar 2009, 17:23
Some other mounts to consider, Smiths mini plane, Stolp, Curry Wot 2, Fournier, Cassutt(think they have aero's clearance ?), Andreasson BA4B, Acrosport 1, Jurca Tempete and Baby Lakes....boy that made my head hurt thinking of that lot !

VictorGolf
1st Mar 2009, 17:42
And the Victa/Glos Airtourers. The 100/115 hp versions are a bit limited but the 150/160s are much better. There's a 115 for sale. PM me if you want details.

Unusual Attitude
1st Mar 2009, 21:43
Sweet jesus !! Never even heard of half that lot ! Just looking at whats avaliable at the moment as will be looking to purchase in the next 4-6 weeks once the hangerage is in place. Doesnt seem a huge choice of aero types in the sub £20k range via Pilotweb and AFORS just now though.

Main criteria will be something easy and cheap to maintain and run, happy to do engine services etc myself so Permit A/C ideal.
Quite happy with a tailwheel as have 50 or so hours on those, aeros will indeed be LAROSA to start with as I'll have to get my hand back in. Last thing I did regular aero's in weighed 3.5 tonne and had entry speeds to some manouvers in excess of 300kts so will be taking it easy for starters!

Aero capability with 2 on board would be a bonus but not essential, something with a decent turn of speed would also be a real bonus though 100mph cruise upwards is fine.

Quite like the Pitts idea as always fancied one of those, will keep scouring the ads....

Zulu Alpha
2nd Mar 2009, 07:33
One other nice thing about a permit Pitts is that all the parts are easy to get or make yourself. With an aircraft Spruce catalog you can fix almost anything if you are good with your hands.

Not sure whether thats as easy with aircraft that were factory built such as the Bolkow etc.

Also if you get a good Pitts and look after it you will get your money back.

Rob Millinship is the man to talk to if you want a Pitts. If you are passing Leicester then drop in because there are quite a few there. You will be able to see the differences between the types and also between the same type as they are all homebuilt.

ZA

Croqueteer
2nd Mar 2009, 07:39
:ok: Another consideration is that the best way to sharpen up at aeros is to compete, so a machine that is capable of standard level competition would be sensible. Again, an S1c.

bingoboy
2nd Mar 2009, 10:53
Don't think anyone has mentioned the Isaacs Fury