PDA

View Full Version : Nigerian Harmattan

Foxcotte
27th Feb 2009, 10:37
Does anyone out there have uptodate information on what its like to operate a turbine aircraft in Nigeria at the moment? I believe its the season for their harmattan winds - and before putting my precious turbine engines anywhere near this, I'd like to know more if there's anyone out there who can help give advice such as how long does the harmattan last, what altitudes, what weather reports are there about it, what is like to operate in etc etc

Any information would be most appreciated...

LongJohnThomas
27th Feb 2009, 10:57
Foxcotte,
Experience is usually the best teacher.
There are others flying much more complex turbines than yours in Nigeria i assure you and they're not dead yet, at least not due weather!
I see you are in Masai land? The weather patterns are not too different from what you know, just dust in the lower altitudes and it also depends on where in the country you will be operating your precious turbine.
Good luck and have fun mate!:ok:

Foxcotte
27th Feb 2009, 12:08
I quite agree, but Experience doesn't have to pay for the engine overhauls!! Its a bit different being a line pilot flying through abrasive dust, or being an owner/operator watching pennies disappear along with your turbine blades and TBO extensions!

What I understood is that the Harmattan is a prevailling saharan dust that blankets the area, with low visibility and high quartz content. Web browsing reveals airports closing in extreme conditions, and NOTAMS or local knowhow cautioning against operation on bad days. It'd be good to know a bit more about it as it sounds like it might be worth delaying the deal until after the Harmattan has passed - but local knowledge would be good if there's anyone out there listening?

unstable load
27th Feb 2009, 13:57
It's been a while since I was there, but isn't the Harmattan almost over by now, LJT? If not then soon, anyhow.

TonyWilliams
27th Feb 2009, 16:16
Not excessively dusty now, raining season coming.

verreaux eagle
28th Feb 2009, 06:34
:ok: Foxcotte, you should be able to launch your turbines! Harmattan should be in the past untill December! Solenta should be able to help you with turbine wear as they operate PT6's in Algeria, where conditions is much worse than what Nigeria can dish up! Good luck anyway with the red tape to start operating with foreign registered AC!

J LeDeels
28th Feb 2009, 19:19
There was only about 5 days of Harmattan this year. It all finished at least 8 weeks ago

Choppie
6th Mar 2009, 09:28
Fugro has a C406 operating in Kaduna quite regularly. Enugu seems to be a bit tighter when it comes to the weather now. But it isn't that bad appartently now.