PDA

View Full Version : Pre-CPL Course Reading

speedbird001
27th Feb 2009, 08:13
Hi All,

I've not long passed my ATPL exams, well over a few month now and i'm going to start my CPL course, most of the stuff i've read and passed is almost forgot about :eek:, can anyone think of a good book etc that would be good to read prior the CPL course ?

Cheers

SB001

Rugbyears
27th Feb 2009, 08:21
Rather then forking out unnecessary expenditure, I would suggest you maybe look back over previous notes, possibly re-sit a number of the original progress tests to identify which areas you are most weakest at and address those areas appropriately.

speedbird001
27th Feb 2009, 09:16
Hi Mate,

I was thinking more along the lines of the flight training side of it ?? I.e to read up on the actual flight excercise(s) before i jump in to the A/C

Cheers

SB001

Whirlygig
27th Feb 2009, 12:38
As Rugbyears said, look over your previous notes except that it'll be your PPL flight training notes/guide/manual. If you didn't have one provided by your school, then Trevor Thom Vol. 1 might help.

Cheers

Whirls

speedbird001
27th Feb 2009, 13:06
Cheers guys :ok:

SB001

BigGrecian
27th Feb 2009, 15:15
http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/355564-cpl-syllabus.html
http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/359612-jaa-cpl-practical-training-syllabus.html

Rugbyears
27th Feb 2009, 16:20
There you go...:ok:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG_FCL_03_A.PDF

Best of luck

speedbird001
27th Feb 2009, 18:26
Thanks again guys, good luck to you all as well.

SB001

Obs cop
28th Feb 2009, 20:11
Just started my CPL so my tuppence worth.

Fundamantally most of the manouevers are taken straight from PPL, after all you can only take off, turn stall, land and navigate in so many ways. There are no new secrets to be discovered, it is simply a question of how you apply yourself to the evolutions.

For example, at PPL level, a straightforward recovery from a stall would be adequate. As a CPL, you will be expected to stall and then recover to a height and heading you had previously nominated.

Your airmanship is expected to be spot on, your flying accurate and your R/T up to scratch. I've had a few slapped wrists for verbose R/T!

Again, you are expected to provide briefings prior to take off and landing for rotate, climb out speeds and emergency considerations.

In short, for the manouevers and navigation, a high level of refreshment of PPL stuff will help no end. I have yet to find a book specific to the CPL, but I may be wrong,

regards,
Obs Cop

speedbird001
1st Mar 2009, 09:55
Cheers Obs Cop,

Thanks for that, funny as thats exactley what one of my mates said to me at my club yesterday, it's just a PPL but you have to tighten up on a lot of things, was reading my PPL flight training book last night, funny how a lot of things stick isn't it ?? after all like you said there are only so many ways you can take off land etc.

Thanks all for the info.

SB001

Obs cop
2nd Mar 2009, 22:10
SB001,

No problems,

The other big thing for CPL is captaincy. There is a far greater emphasis on finding information from documents yourself and whilst the instructor clearly makes the final decision, they clearly want to hear your decision first.

On a Nav trip of mine all I got was "check the met and tell me if we are going to route to the West or plan an alternative route".

Much less spoon feeding which is clearly the purpose of the course.

However, I would thus suggest suitable reading will include,

Performance (look at ATPL level reading and PPL particularly for Class B performance TODR,LDR etc......)
Met (predominantly weather associated with the country you are doing the course in)
Air Law (VMC/IMC criteria, privileges of PPL, CPL, IMC and IR and rules concerning paperwork and carriage of passengers, classes of airspace and associated rules)

If you already know which organisation you will be training with, see if they will lend you a copy of their aircraft checklist (there are variances so don't bother unless it's the one sanctioned by that school) and learn the immediate actions for emergencies until they become second nature. They may want to see the colour of your money before hand, but you can always ask if you can have a copy of their CPL student manual and Flying Order Book for some light reading before the course starts.

Just some thoughts,

Obs

speedbird001
3rd Mar 2009, 11:53
Hi Obs,

Thanks for the more detailed Info etc, funny i keep on looking at my Performance CD-Rom thinking i should just have a look, as i sat the remainder of my exams in Dec just gone i've forgot a lot of it, good points i think i will brush off the dust from my manuals again:(

The documents you mention, sorry if it sounds a dumb:mad: question but which will they be as i can start having a look at those as well, oh sorry i will be doing the training in the U.K and i've not really made up my mind as to who with yet.

Cheers

SB001

Rugbyears
3rd Mar 2009, 16:41
Obs Cop - Excellent post!:ok:

Obs cop
4th Mar 2009, 15:05
Speed bird,

No problems,

For reference my reading over the past couple of months has included (list is not exhaustive).

1. Going back over my ATPL books for:

Performance TORR, TODR, TORA, TODA, LDR and LDA. Factorisation for transport ops (CPL assumes you are flying a single pilot public transport flight). Factors affecting performance density altitude, airfield characteristics.
Airlaw airspace and VFR minima, wake vortex spacing. UK variances eg. quadrantle rule.
Powerplant Piston engines, C/S props, carbs and ICING!!!!
Airframes and systems control systems and ICING!!!!
Met Things what be particularly dangerous at lower levels! Frontal systems, cumulonimbus and associated hazards, causes of turbulence, wind sheer, ICING.

2. Going back over PPL books (in my case Trevor THOMS):

Navigation Visual navigation techniques particularly track correction techniques and amending ETA's.
Flying techniques indicators of approaching stall, stall recovery techiques, APT, PAT, steep turns.

3. Going through my Oxford Met DVD Rom again, just ignoring anything which classes as climatology or over 10000' for the moment.

4. CAA website,

Safety sense leaflets List of Safety Sense Leaflets | Publications | CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=list&type=sercat&id=21&filter=2)

Everything from flying twins to wake vortex.

LASORS, contains vast amounts of info for operating in the UK.

CAP 413 self explainatory

5. NATS | AIS (http://www.AIS.org.uk)

Aeronautical information circulars

As you will see most of this is very inexpensive and also promotes the self help approach to learning. An approach which I personally believe encourages a more professional aviator in the long run.

Likewise rapid and available knowledge of factors which may directly affect your aircraft operation be they weather, airspace or regulatory decreases pressure in the course markedly (or at least so far it has:}).

As I say there is no harm asking the training organisation if before you start you can have a copy of the flying order book and a copy of their checklists.

Oh, and once you know what you are flying read the aircraft manual!!

Obs

Information is useful as a get out as well!

Question ; why were we climbing at 90 kts instead of the recommended best climb speed of 73?

Answer ; I'm using a cruise climb speed as we are heading towards our navigation start point, so I minimise track time enroute to that point, have a lower climbing attitude to aid visibility and increase cooling to the engine.

Questioner ; Okay

speedbird001
5th Mar 2009, 11:49
Hi Obs,

Many thanks for the extra info, some really useful links as well :ok:

Thanks again for taking the time to reply etc.

SB001