PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair Charge for toilet use

classic-hunter-
27th Feb 2009, 07:27
Whilst watching MOL discuss his reasons behind everyone using on-line checking, a new idea of his also came up. Every passenger o/b having to pay up to a pound/euro to use the toilet!?

Is this even legal? Fair enough they do this at train stations but there are other places to go. Up there, your choice is pretty limited!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
27th Feb 2009, 07:29
Thank you, but I prefer to use my own bucket or go out of the window..

captplaystation
27th Feb 2009, 07:31
If he said that, I would imagine it was tongue in cheek. . . . . . surely ? :confused:
well then again :eek: := :{ :}

ppvvmm
27th Feb 2009, 07:33
He was dead serious, Ryanair are looking into it!

He compared railway stations, where you have to pay to 'go', and felt it is a way to increase what he called discretionary expenditure.

ppvvmm

kms901
27th Feb 2009, 07:38
This one could bite them on the bum. There would have to exemptions for small children/disabled/medical conditions, and everybody else would stop buying their overpriced coffee so they didn't need to use the toilet.

Just though. Is an aircraft the only place where women don't go to the loo in pairs

classic-hunter-
27th Feb 2009, 07:39
100% serious. One of his (many used) reasons was again to keep the costs down, as well as if train stations can do it, so can i!! Not his exact words but close enough!

Captain_djaffar
27th Feb 2009, 07:40
and soon it shall be a few pounds for using the life jacket....:}

INNflight
27th Feb 2009, 07:41
Just bring a bottle!!! :ok:

captplaystation
27th Feb 2009, 07:43
How many "tokens" will the crew receive a day ? 1 per sector ? 1 per day ?
pay your own (like everything else )
The wonderful thing about Ryanair is the mind expanding bare faced cheek of it all.
If someone used this in a comedy sketch, people would laugh and just go Nah := our beloved MOL believes however that it is reasonable :ugh:
Guaranteed to boost passenger figures.
For years pax have been disgusted/perplexed when/if they felt unwell and were told if they wanted a glass of water they would have to pay.
I am looking forward to the first court case when some hooligan with a vindaloo tummy dumps in the aisle with the perfectly valid excuse "sorry mate I had no loose change" (only something else loose :yuk: )
For the moment I have to say unbefeckinglievable, but I stand-by to be corrected. :oh:

hardcase
27th Feb 2009, 07:43
Michael O'Leary the enemy of aviation!!!
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

poss
27th Feb 2009, 07:54
I'm sorry but how does he justify pay to go in aircraft by saying train stations do it... surely the correct comparison would be between trains and aeroplanes and trains do not charge to go. If you need the toilet this can be an immediate health and safety issue, it is quite possible to rupture a bladder if anything happens. If he is allowed to charge someones ass seriously needs to be kicked.
Does this guy get off over the world hating him?

Stupidbutsaveable
27th Feb 2009, 07:56
His rants on the TV usually just pass me by but this mornings was something special. He even had the front to defend the £5/person/sector charge just for using a debit card! Claiming that using VISA/Electron is free is bad enough but forgetting to add that it needs to be a Ryanair Visa card to avoid the charges is misleading at the very least. Shame the interviewer wasn't properly armed!

fivegreenlight
27th Feb 2009, 08:03
MOL is such a banker.

If this happens I bet the crew have to pay too.
Can you imagine the state of the aircraft after a flight, I can imagine there are people who would happily just use the rear galley as a toilet ?

Something should be done about this company, is there no limit to the depths that they are prepared to sink ? They are the laughing stock of aviation in europe.

I know of at least one major UK airline that will not use ruinair for crew positioning. Says' it all really......

Boeing Pilot
27th Feb 2009, 08:15
Captain_djaffar wrote:
"and soon it shall be a few pounds for using the life jacket"

It would not surprise me if this happened.

wingzakimbo
27th Feb 2009, 08:22
In those train stations I pay to use the toilet, there is always an attendant making sure the facilities are kept clean, tidy and somewhat safe.

Vems
27th Feb 2009, 08:24
Is this some kind of joke?!

I think they're going a bit too far!

27th Feb 2009, 08:25
Assuming they stay as an Irish registered company, he'll find that under Irish law, if he wants to charge for toilet facilities, he'll have to cease selling food and drink on board.

airborne_artist
27th Feb 2009, 08:27
and soon it shall be a few pounds for using the life jacket....http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/badteeth.gif

And a £1/€1 coin in the slot to feed oxygen to the mask when they drop down :E

Doug the Head
27th Feb 2009, 08:29
As I've said before: if you want to see the future of aviation (including terms and conditions for the employees!) look no further than trains or buses.

When will the first punch clocks appear in crew rooms? Oh wait, those are already there, they're just disguised as computers to check for emails, OM updates and print out flight plans. :E

BizJetJockey
27th Feb 2009, 08:30
You can guarantee those wee closets are still going to be as disgusting as they are now, even if you do have to pay. You think the hosties are gonna get commission every time a passenger uses the lavatory in their section of the aircraft?

I'll take the train!:ugh:

AAKEE
27th Feb 2009, 08:32
The oxygen mask won´t come down until payed for...and each minute costs a coin.

U can take the life jacket on, b ut it wont inflate until feeded with coin...:bored:

fivegreenlight
27th Feb 2009, 08:34
Doug, you're forgetting one important point. The level of training and skills required are just a tad more than a bus or train driver. :rolleyes:

wakeup
27th Feb 2009, 08:34
Surely if you don't want to pay for the use of a toilet, food onboard, baggage, checkin etc etc etc...Then don't fly with the airline. I used Ryanair once and never again. Until people vote with their feet things won't change.:E

Spunky Monkey
27th Feb 2009, 08:40
At first he smirked and then thought he had got away with it.
Then the interviewer thought he was serious.

Personally I don't have a problem with airlines trying to save money. But this is just taking the piss...

I don't believe that these BBC muppets should be allowed to conduct interviews with business people and politicians. They are badly prepared, unable to press home a valid point and would far rather interview somebody about feeding squirrels in the Blue Peter Garden.

Final 3 Greens
27th Feb 2009, 08:40
The level of training and skills required are just a tad more than a bus or train driver.

Have you got a reference to justify that statement, e.g. a professionally authored report or academic research?

BladePilot
27th Feb 2009, 08:43
Yawn Yawn Yawn.. The big orange floated the idea of the easyLoo way back as far as 1995. Discussion was along the lines of; well on a flight of less than one hour surely people can 'hold' on, the question was should we remove the toilets and squeeze in more seats to generate more revenue or would we make more money by charging passengers (not crew) to use the toilet (would require a lot of dumps to make big £!). Common sense prevailed and the aircraft were left as they were with toilets but the idea never went away completely. Another consideration was that any such move would drive passengers to other carriers, it was also argued if the revenue from toilet use was calculated then it would be a better idea to just add a few pence to each ticket to achieve the same claw back.

It's all in the perception, wouldn't promote good customer service to charge for a 'comfort stop' would it? but then what do FR know/care about customer service:ouch:

Flying_Frisbee
27th Feb 2009, 08:45
Today 09:54
Does this guy get off over the world hating him?
Probably isn't too bothered either way, but he sure knows how to generate publicity. :rolleyes:

Dysag
27th Feb 2009, 08:45
I now avoid aisle seats because it seems the occupants of middle/window seats enjoy squeezing past when the table is down and I'm trying to enjoy my (paid) beer.

They can't resist the desire to go powder their noses, even on a one hour flight.

I support anything MOL does to discourage them.

Avman
27th Feb 2009, 08:50
Precisely Wakeup. Which is why I have never, and will NEVER fly that joke of an airline. There are still low cost operators around that treat their clients with more respect. They will get my business. MOL is now taking a big gamble with his business plan (I don't mean the toilet issue in particular). His success will depend on how long the recession lasts. If it goes on longer than his cash reserves can support, RYR will be one of the largest airline collapses in a long time.

fivegreenlight
27th Feb 2009, 08:51
Finals 3 Greens

"Have you got a reference to justify that statement, e.g. a professionally authored report or academic research?"

Are you serious ?
I bet you're one of those people that insist education levels are improving every year and exams aren't getting easier :ugh:

PENKO
27th Feb 2009, 08:52
The potential pitfalls are very great, I would severely doubt that paying for toilet use will ever happen. Just think of alll the soiled seats because daddy tells his child just to wait a little longer.. people exposing themselves whilst peing in bottles. And the toilet is an MEL item, you cannot charge for that.

This will not fly.

ian16th
27th Feb 2009, 08:57
Ads by Google

Potty Training Made Easy (http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/iclk?sa=l&ai=BcTD5D7enSbWAG6PUVuyW0fAFyILqGayNor8CwI23AZChDxABGAEggZKM EDgAUMnMrY4DYMeFgY6EJqABmIir_QOyAQ53d3cucHBydW5lLm9yZ7oBCTcy OHg5MF9qc8gBAdoBSGh0dHA6Ly93d3cucHBydW5lLm9yZy9ydW1vdXJzLW5l d3MvMzYzOTc3%20)

Potty Training In Only 3 Days Fast & Easy - Guaranteed Results (http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/iclk?sa=l&ai=BcTD5D7enSbWAG6PUVuyW0fAFyILqGayNor8CwI23AZChDxABGAEggZKM EDgAUMnMrY4DYMeFgY6EJqABmIir_QOyAQ53d3cucHBydW5lLm9yZ7oBCTcy OHg5MF9qc8gBAdoBSGh0dHA6Ly93d3cucHBydW5lLm9yZy9ydW1vdXJzLW5l d3MvMzYzOTc3%20)

3DayPottyTraining.com (http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/iclk?sa=l&ai=BcTD5D7enSbWAG6PUVuyW0fAFyILqGayNor8CwI23AZChDxABGAEggZKM EDgAUMnMrY4DYMeFgY6EJqABmIir_QOyAQ53d3cucHBydW5lLm9yZ7oBCTcy OHg5MF9qc8gBAdoBSGh0dHA6Ly93d3cucHBydW5lLm9yZy9ydW1vdXJzLW5l d3MvMzYzOTc3%20)

.........when I accessed this thread :ok:

CargoOne
27th Feb 2009, 09:02
40 years ago everyone would think it is a bad joke about non-smoking flights.
30 years ago everyone would think is is a bad joke about meal for purschase.
year 2015 - everyone claims that charge used to be only 1 EUR when Ryanair first introduced pay toilets in 2010, now BA is charging 5 quid on shorthaul and 10 quid on longhaul...

year 2020 - now you can use your Frequent Flyer miles to pay for toilet on all OneWorld alliance flights! :}

Phil1980's
27th Feb 2009, 09:03
That was quick to get on the news...
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20090227/tod-oukoe-uk-ryanair-toilet-d987f7f.html (http://uk.yahoo.com/?fr=fptb-)

Well If I travel on them...I'll be doing it in the seat...

@Cargo I suppose having thought about it...It's the pretending to be cheap...then bombarding you with pay this for that...It's hard to tell until you can put 2 airlines side by side on the same route...and see what each offer...
In some cases Ryanair is £60 to poland...where as Virgin trains might be £66 From Manchester-London

I also saw LOT £1300 to Gdansk and £60 Ryanair to Krakow...

Why? I dunno

interpreter
27th Feb 2009, 09:05
Shortly the Irish maniac is to introduce a Choice of Arrival Method - CAMs for short. At the beginning of the descent passengers will be asked if they wish to land with the aircarft for a £10 fee or rent a parachute and bale out at 5,000 ft for a £2 fee (£100 credit card held for return of chute)

Just think of all the fuel he will save on that last stage.

Good man for intelligent ideas MOM.

A disgrace to the whole industry - but lets face it cheap and nasty if you want to travel that way.

Todders
27th Feb 2009, 09:06
NO such thing as bad press has always been his stand point,

therefore this very thread is just playing into his hands is it not???

I mean the guys doesn't even have to do any of these hair brained ideas of his all he has to do is imply he might and he gets all the intrest he needs.

Tooloose
27th Feb 2009, 09:07
MOL is quite right. The vast majority of toilet visits on aircraft are totally unnecessary. Disturbing the two people outside you when you are in a window seat, traipsing up and down the aisle disrupting the passenger service, just to adjust hair or fix lipstick. The potential savings are considerable, for instance, Aircraft weight would be significantly reduced since less water would need to be carried for flushing and hand washing, less ventilation air would reduce bleed air requirement and less use of the lavatory lights would all reduce fuel burn. I understand that what is about to be proposed is £1 for no.1, £2 for no.2 and £5 for nothing at all. PTD is to be used to differentiate.

Phil1980's
27th Feb 2009, 09:09
To Be honest Todders, at the end of the day...I'll always look at prices...if Ryanair was £20 cheaper than a large friendly airliner...I am going to go with the friendly airline...

Phil1980's
27th Feb 2009, 09:11
@Tooloose
I'm not sure what a PTD is but I heard a Urinal in the cabin in front of the passengers would be 50p :)

hum
27th Feb 2009, 09:12
I'm surprised they don't charge fat people extra...

captainspeaking
27th Feb 2009, 09:14
What's the problem? Cattle don't have lavatories (as my mother insisted I call them). Why should pax?

classic-hunter-
27th Feb 2009, 09:15
charges
I'm surprised they don't charge fat people extra...

Thing is, he did also mention this, all be it that that its worked out on averages like most airlines. Wonder if the thought has crossed his mind though, surely?!

Halfbaked_Boy
27th Feb 2009, 09:30
but lets face it cheap and nasty if you want to travel that way.

What's so nasty about it exactly? Not having a go, but I've travelled with FR a fair few times and never had any problems. I take my seat (which is comfortable enough), politely decline any inflight service, admire the view out the window (only downside, have to rush to guarantee a window seat!), then off at the other end.

Ok, it's a bit dry in the cabin (we all know how they use the bare legal minimum setting on the cabin humidifier to save fuel), but hey, you get exactly what you pay for, which aint bad considering.

I've heard all the rumours, but my personal experience leaves me very impressed at what you can get for a few euros...

Just my opinion, Jack

Teddy Robinson
27th Feb 2009, 09:30
... and publicity is cheap.

It's a fine principal, used to great effect by Ryanair, and of course the Chairman of Virgin group.

In this case though he may have miscalculated IMHO.

I'm presently half way through a working trip around Europe, and because I'm paying I leave no stone unturned to find the most practical and economical way to do it.

As always FR get their fares checked as they claim to be on the cutting edge of low cost air travel, suffice to say that they do not appear on my (flexible) itinerary because they are not competitive on price for the sectors I am flying.

You can fool some of the people some of the time but ..... :=

srobarts
27th Feb 2009, 09:44
What's the problem? Cattle don't have lavatories
Yes but cattle p*ss and sh*t on the floor - is that the future of Ryanair flights?

cats_five
27th Feb 2009, 09:46
<snip>
Just though. Is an aircraft the only place where women don't go to the loo in pairs?

We don't at my gliding club.

Ten West
27th Feb 2009, 09:47
This is precisely why I wil NEVER fly with Ryanair. I'd rather flippin' hitch-hike that make that arrogant B****d any richer.

What's the legality issues of curling one out into a piece of clingfilm like the military do and leaving it in the gash bins? :E

Frankly Mr Shankly
27th Feb 2009, 09:52
Yeah all well and good whether he is serious or not. But one thing MOL knows is that the great British/Irish/general public WILL put up with this lark as long as they perceive they are getting a cheap flight!

Oh sure, the public might write letters to the Daily Mail, signed Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells, they'll moan to their mates in the boozer, swearing that they would never fly with such an outfit, moan moan and moan again, AND YET, next time they need to go from A to B, if on paper FR are significantly cheaper than the next airline, these people WILL go with them.

Memories are short, cost is everything, moans make them feel better about it to themselves, but at the end of the day, SOMEONE is flying with Ryan, whether they admit or not, and they will continue.

MOL doesn't give a rat's a$$ whether people complain or not! It's marketed on volume of passengers, not customer service. If you can continue to get the punters in based on cheap fairs, who cares if even alot of them swear never to fly FR again??? There will always be others to take their place. And those that swear not to, yeah right, until the next time..........

Look at those Airline type progs on TV, when the lo-co's first started, punters who missed flights expected to be put in hotels, reclaim expenses, blah blah blah....Now, the public, maybe begrudgingly, know to expect sweet FA if it all goes t!ts up, they might not like it, but they've accepted it over time, the opportunity cost of cheap flights, we've traded all the old "priviledges" of air travel, for the 30 quid ticket and hope nowt goes wrong.

I'm no MOL fan, but he knows the public always like a bargain, and until the sheep vote EN-MASSE with their feet, it will continue and he'll continue to smile.

Super VC-10
27th Feb 2009, 09:52
As an EU based operation, Ryanair will be subject to various legislation which makes it illegal to discriminate against people with disabilities. Bladder and bowel problems, in legal terms, are disabilities. He may get away with charging for loos, but they will have to be free for those who have a medical need for toilet access. What price a RADAR (The Royal Association for Disability and Rehabilitation) lock on each loo?

raffele
27th Feb 2009, 09:56
I've not seen a link yet for this story so here's one:

Ryanair may charge for toilet use on planes - Yahoo! News UK (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20090227/tod-oukoe-uk-ryanair-toilet-d987f7f.html)

We all knew this day was coming to be honest. I wouldn't be too impressed if I got on the aircraft and found out that I had to pay £1 - 70p more than Network Rail-managed stations, 80p more than attended loos in town centres - to go to the toilet whilst flying. Do they intend to do this when (or if perhaps) they start cheapo transatlantic flights? Making people on an 8 hour flight pay to use the toilet would definitely not be acceptable...

I will say one thing though - if they're going to make passengers "spend a pound to spend a penny" they better invest the revenues into keeping the toilets spotless - I don't just mean clean, I mean spotless! *grumble grumble*

Ten West
27th Feb 2009, 10:04
...And those that swear not to (Travel with Ryanair), yeah right, until the next time..........

Not me squire. I'd rather shove wasps up my bottom than fly PikeyAir. :*

Never have. Never will. :ok:

captainspeaking
27th Feb 2009, 10:04
YET, next time they need to go from A to B, if on paper FR are significantly cheaper than the next airline, these people WILL go with them.

I'm not sure which group of people you're speaking for, but I can assure you that I take into account more than just the price of the ticket when I travel in an aircraft I'm not flying myself. For most destinations we have a choice of carrier - a point not lost on customer-orientated airlines.

Sallyann1234
27th Feb 2009, 10:06
As poss said earlier but seems to have been ignored, the analogy between aircraft and railway stations is flawed.
Aircraft equate to trains. Airports equate to rail stations. There is no charge for use of toilets on trains in any country where I have used them.

Nashers
27th Feb 2009, 10:06
wonder if you can pick up frequent user points.....

as soon as he starts this, they will charge for each piece of toilet paper you use as well. wonder if you get discounts for "lighter deposits"....

pineridge
27th Feb 2009, 10:07
Super VC10 said.........

"As an EU based operation, Ryanair will be subject to various legislation which makes it illegal to discriminate against people with disabilities. Bladder and bowel problems, in legal terms, are disabilities. He may get away with charging for loos, but they will have to be free for those who have a medical need for toilet access. What price a RADAR (The Royal Association for Disability and Rehabilitation) lock on each loo?"

Perhaps one way around the legislation would be to put a coin operated lock on the inside of the washroom door-----free to enter, pay to get out. Are you reading this, Mr. O`Leary? Can I have a job?

Frankly Mr Shankly
27th Feb 2009, 10:10
Yes, I've no doubt you guys won't, and don't get me wrong, I assure you I wasn't aiming any of my comments at anyone on this thread.

So there's two who won't fly Ryan, but that's why I said the public en-masse...

The sample group on here will generally probably not fly FR, and I don't blame 'em. But we're not talking about a group of prooners being his market, it's the "great" public, and there are more than enough who will continue to. Come on we see them at the Ryan desk everyday.

manrow
27th Feb 2009, 10:12
Since there is more legroom in the loo, at £1 a trip I might stay there all flight?

hbscouse
27th Feb 2009, 10:12
I would gladly pay a pound to spend the whole flight in the loo at least the leg room would be better:O

captainspeaking
27th Feb 2009, 10:13
Just wondering how long the Mods will let this pile of poo accumulate before it gets shunted off to Jet Blast ....

jackharr
27th Feb 2009, 10:17
I would love to be a fly-on-the-wall at a meeting between Michael O'Leary and Fred Goodwin.

People get awarded knighthoods for public service. Is there the opposite of a knighthood?

Jack Harrison

manrow
27th Feb 2009, 10:18
It is obviously of great public interest captainspeaking as the media are making quotes from this very thread right now!!

Pjlot
27th Feb 2009, 10:20
What a Jackal and Hyde one week he wants to SAVE Aerlingus because it our beloved flag carrier. He came over all father like and said he would even accept the union and current contracts.:eek:

He even said he would give Aerlingus 35 bran spanking new aircraft that were due to be delivered to Ryanair. Such a noble act of kindness to slow Ryanairs growth and expansion and help out Aerlingus. (reading between the lines does he need to offload new aircraft from his order that badly?) May be MOL FU**ED up in a the same way he did with his fuel hedging program. He hedged fuel at a ridiculous price and was locked into the high price for months after the other airlines were paying the reduced rates.

Then he turns from this caring father figure and his personality does a 180 degree spin and think up a crazy method of screwing people for more money.

If this is not a publicity stunt and he intends on going ahead with this charge I think it screams of desperation. He F**K*D up on his fuel hedging plan and locked in a ridiculously high price for fuel when other airlines were playing a much lower rate (arrogance, because he knew best) He obviously needs to claw back money in any way he can to try and make up for his F**K up over fuel.

maxpaxfax
27th Feb 2009, 10:21
I'm with MOL on this one. A washroom takes up space that could be used for 2 more seats. And there's also a cost associated with cleaning and equipping them. Of course the pax should pay. And how is it discriminatory? Everyone has to pay - or are you suggesting people with medical/special needs have no access to money? Most people can manage a short haul flight without using a washroom. If you can't - get your quid out. And if you don't like it use a full-service airline and pay hundreds of pounds to use the washroom for free. Get over it.

racer09
27th Feb 2009, 10:21
Surely if you don't want to pay for the use of a toilet, food onboard, baggage, checkin etc etc etc...Then don't fly with the airline. I used Ryanair once and never again. Until people vote with their feet things won't change.http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/evil.gif

Yep fair point - I flew Ryanair last week as they were the only airline flying to my destination and decided to save some pounds as even with the extra costs [the paying per passenger per sector card fee really winds me up!] it was cheaper and significantly quicker than flying to the nearest main airport and hiring a car. I suspect they'll end up bringing the toilet charge in, because it's just another way of them making money

Yes it was cheap, yes it got us to and from where we wanted to go on time, but on both sectors they had run out of food [and I was prepared to hand over my €4 as was starving!], the plane was disgustingly dirty [they could at least have picked up some of the rubbish on and under the seats, but then I guess that would take time] and I was rather surprised to see one of the cabin crew just walk into the flight deck in cruise with no curtain / anything [do other airlines do this?! I know we don't....].

All in all, yes it was cheap, yes it got us where we were going on time [you can't forget this due to the horrid fanfare PA played after landing] but would I fly them again? Probably only if nobody else flew near where I was going.

peter we
27th Feb 2009, 10:26
Yes but cattle p*ss and sh*t on the floor - is that the future of Ryanair flights?

I for one will take great pleasure pissing on the floor of a Ryanair bus.

Thats still free, isn't it?

racedo
27th Feb 2009, 10:27
I wonder do they have a sweep each time he agrees to go on TV and make a statement knowing full well it will never happen.

Idiots will salivate at the idea that it might and scream blue murder and Ryanair gets lots of free publicity.

MOL seems to catch bigger bigger fish each time he goes on TV.

Halfbaked_Boy
27th Feb 2009, 10:30
I flew Ryanair last week as they were the only airline flying to my destination

There's another good thing I've found with them - if for some reason you need to get to the arse end of nowhere, you can guarantee they fly there!

I have plenty of times...

:p

Selfloading
27th Feb 2009, 10:36
To most passengers (me included) the flight is just a way of getting away to your holiday destination, all that is needed is a seat on a safe aircraft, you're on and off in two or three hours and its a minor part of the holiday, that's why a vast number of people will continue to fly with Ryanair, people just want to get to their destination the cheapest possible way (even if you were to add a couple of quid each way for the dunny) that's what you get with Ryanair, M.O.L is giving people what they want, passenger numbers don't lie.

flugangst
27th Feb 2009, 10:38
I do wonder why they still have seats in their planes... I am pretty sure you could fit a few more passengers in if they'd have to stand up. quicker turnaround times as well.

Facelookbovvered
27th Feb 2009, 10:43
I think i will have to amend my welcome aboard pre-amble today to let our guest (punters in Ryanair terms) know that the toilets are freely available at any time the seat belt sign is off.

I have seen too many big empires fail over the years to believe that somehow Ryanair can walk on water

Exxon
MGM (Maxwell)
RBS
HBOS
Woolworths
Sebena
Signet

Running On Empty
27th Feb 2009, 11:01
When reading about this alleged possibility of charging to use toilets on board aircraft, two thoughts come to mind. The first is now would seem a good time to approach the accused company with my adult nappy idea. The second is, apart from sacraficing all human dignity, what would be to stop all passengers simply choosing to pull down their slacks and curl out a slippery otter onto the floor of the aircraft? I'm sure we could find 170 odd passengers willing to take up this protest.

passy777
27th Feb 2009, 11:01
Wow - those cabins are certainly going to be 'aromatic' towards the end of the flight with people nipping the cheeks of their ar$e$ and squeaking out the odd blast rather than forfeit a 1 Euro 'relief charge'.

Seriously though, there are health and welfare issues and although I am unsure as to any specific legislation in relation to the provision of free suitable facilities for the performing of ones ablutions on an aircraft, I suspect that this action would be unenforceable - although MOL appears to be a law unto himself anyway.

Having never flown with this lot, I am assuming there are still free sick bags, therefore I would like to suggest that these could be utilised into a personal 'urinal' with the 'finished article' left under the seat for future disposal.

Sorry that this post is somewhat lavatorial, but as MOL seems to be taking the p**s, I though I would redress the balance by suggesting a way of leaving it!

Selfloading
27th Feb 2009, 11:15
I am assuming there are still free sick bags

Well Ryanair aircraft don't have seat back pockets so sick bags are not provided in the usual way, you may be able to request one, as to the cost :rolleyes:

WidebodyWillie
27th Feb 2009, 11:20
This is a great way to get pax flying with other airlines! Thanks MOL :ok:.

Nobody with any sense would fly with Ryanair if you have to pay for a wee. This will backfire on MOL, as he watches pax numbers fall away. Is he too blinded by the obvious?

Selfloading
27th Feb 2009, 11:25
You really think paying an extra pound would make any diffrence?

MPH
27th Feb 2009, 11:26
I think we will see a lot of high speed approaches!!!¨Capt could you hurry up, I am dying to go and I can´t afford the toilet¨!!!!!

gdiphil
27th Feb 2009, 11:31
Never flown with your mob but it does sound fun. Put human beings in inhuman conditions, make them pay for it and laugh all the way to an insolvent bank. I wish I had thought of that. But, I do have some more ideas for you to make money. On your aircraft I assume you supply air for passengers. Now why don't you have a slot for passengers to put a coin in above their heads so they can have the extra air blowing on them. You could require pilots to have as a priority a hot cabin so that passengers will only be too happy to pay for that nice cool air. In the summer in most places your mob go to you could require pilots turn off the air-con so passengers will immediately put money in. Have the occasional delay and bingo, you are quids in, or Euros in or whatever. Even better why not have credit card slots so passengers pay for the air and get charged an extra sum for using the credit card?

I really think MOL that you and I would make a great management team, you take the p*ss and I'm full of hot air! What do you think?

passy777
27th Feb 2009, 11:40
Well Ryanair aircraft don't have seat back pockets so sick bags are not provided in the usual way, you may be able to request one, as to the cost

Well that has scuppered that plan then!

Well, how about replacing all of the fleets seats with commodes and incorporate a 'relief charge' into the cost of the ticket?

The benefits of this would be manyfold.

1) No more disturbing fellow pax when bowel or bladder relief is required.

2) The removal of the toilet cubicles would allow further rows of seats which would enhance the revenue of each sector.

3) Old copies of the Daily Mail could be used for 'wiping residual waste' which I am sure would keep the tree huggers happy.

4) Selling the generated waste to provide fertiliser furthermore enhancing the green credentials and profits of Ryanair.

5) Sell raffle tickets with the winner receiving a roll of Andrex Quilted.

No Michael, no thanks or profit share required - just my suggestions to save the planet!

Almondgrove
27th Feb 2009, 12:09
:O:O:O:O:O

FLY RYANAIR - TRULY BOG STANDARD !!!

:O:O:O :O:O

(how about this for an advertising slogan?)

starling60
27th Feb 2009, 12:25
You really think paying an extra pound would make any diffrence?

Maybe not but added to all additional charges? Taking into account that particularly at peak times -school hols etc- their bare flight cost is same if not higher than other carriers, and I have come across this lots and lots of times, all the additional costs make their "cheap" flights actually more expensive than competitor airlines.

It's also a metter of principle, there has to be a limit to everything.
When will SLF have to pay to receive a token to insert in the appropriate slot and release seat belt buckle?
Technically very feasible......

MOL I want copyright fees if you implement this ok? :ok:

MikeyO
27th Feb 2009, 12:52
Will just another pound, or Euro make the difference?

As a passenger or, rather, a potential passenger, possibly yes.

I've flown Ryanair with decreasing frequency, each time saying "Never again". It's true that they do fly to some places that other airlines can not reach and out of necessity I've succumbed in the past.

Now, however, when looking for flights, I don't even bother to look at Ryanair unless it's the very last resort.

Each new charge is a new nail in the coffin of customer loyalty, or even customer indifference.

So - will another pound really make a difference??????
Cumulatively - YES - eventually

What will be left as the Ruinair (saw that earlier - very good) passenger base will be the the dregs of passengers who, actually, I'd rather not travel alongside. These people probably don't have the intelligence to work out that Ryanair isn't cheap anymore - it just feels cheap.

Selfloading
27th Feb 2009, 13:00
Me and the Mrs are off to Bratislava for less than £20 each return, if anyone can find a way of doing the journey for less than that I'd like to hear about it, as to other airlines being cheaper than Ryanair, no doubt that will happen from time to time, probably because the Ryanair flight is almost sold out and all the cheap seats have gone :ok:

anyway you'd have to be mad to fly with the budget carriers if you could get a cheaper deal elseware, if you don't shop arround you deserve to be ripped off.

as to a matter of principle, there's only one THE PRICE :}

Mrs SLF
27th Feb 2009, 13:25
You get what you pay for - if you want cheap nasty airlines like Ryanair then put up with the way you are treated and stop bleating. I would personally prefer to travel less often with a decent airline then frequently with 'Ryan-crapair'.:mad:

BladePilot
27th Feb 2009, 13:27
SF
When you get back from your trip please update us on the real cost of the flight after you've been hit by any of the extras. Did you include the credit card charge in your £20 posted?
Will you be taking your own catering with you? and how far from your actual destination will you be when Ryanair deliver you? will you still need to pay out for a long coach/taxi (or car hire) to get you to your final destination?
Fair play to you if you can really do it for £20 per head or less, you can't argue with a bargain basement fare like that.

Wedge
27th Feb 2009, 13:41
Pilots aghast at Ryanair toilet charge - and it's legal -Times Online (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/news/article5815088.ece)

This thread has made The Times! :ok:

Abusing_the_sky
27th Feb 2009, 13:49
Captain Playstation, you're famous!!!!:ok:

Doug the Head
27th Feb 2009, 13:53
I wonder when employees have to brijg their own toilet paper (http://www.redorbit.com/news/oddities/136710/employees_bring_own_toilet_paper_to_work/) as the latest cost savings initiative...

Low-cost: the cancer of aviation! :yuk:

XV490
27th Feb 2009, 14:37
A different slant on it here (http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/business/ryanair-planes-to-smell-strongly-of-urine-and-faeces-200902271609/).

HALFPINT
27th Feb 2009, 14:54
http://s2.b3ta.com/host/creative/38688/1235740297/card.jpg

TightSlot
27th Feb 2009, 17:46
I think we've covered all of the more obvious toilet jokes now, so could those of you that are in love with your own wit take a short break.

This is a subject that merits discussion which is why the thread remains here and not in Jet Blast: Please let's try and raise our game a little from now on...

:cool:

Michael SWS
27th Feb 2009, 18:01
as to a matter of principle, there's only one THE PRICEIf price were ever the only factor then Ryanair, Lidl and McDonalds would have their respective markets to themselves, whereas in fact many people will happily pay more for the superior quality of product offered by the likes of BA, Waitrose and Pont de la Tour.

If this is a serious suggestion by MOL - and I don't believe for a moment that it is - then it merely puts even more clear blue water between Ryanair and full-service carriers, which I think is more likely to benefit the full-service carriers than his own.

XV490
27th Feb 2009, 18:23
Whatever the truth, once again MoL proves he is a past-master of publicity (of which, they say, none is bad). If you don't like 'em, don't use 'em. You get what you pay for.

Michael SWS
27th Feb 2009, 18:31
If you don't like 'em, don't use 'em. You get what you pay for.Exactly. And, as someone on another forum put it so beautifully earlier today,Ryanair is good for one thing only: driving down the cost of flying on other, more courteous, more comfortable airlines. Long may other people fly with them.:)

Seat62K
27th Feb 2009, 21:20
I've never quite understood the "you get what you pay for" argument, most recently cited a few posts above.
For the routes and dates I travel, legacy carriers are considerably more expensive than Ryanair (I know that this is not always the case; a month or so ago I spotted a Ryanair fare that was, at that time, more expensive than BA Club Europe).
For those who believe that "you get what you pay for", please explain what extra I'd receive for, say, paying twice as much to fly with a legacy carrier. I can think of at least one of the latter where, in my experience, you pay much more and get less.

lomapaseo
27th Feb 2009, 21:58
I don't plan on using the toilet when I board a plane, I just use it in a emergency, like before I wet myself and my seatmate.

I certainly don't carry change in my pocket due to the extra time it takes to negotiate security (remembering that it's in my pocket). So if I really need to have the proper change in an emergency then you can expect that there is going to be a messy plane at the end of the flight.

I'm afarid that Mr O'leary has turned over the lamp again and set fire to his own house.

No amount of back peddaling will get him and his airline out of this.

Lawn Mower
27th Feb 2009, 22:08
Why would O'learey do this for publicity if he did not really mean it? Why would he aim to escilate the hatred for his airline without good reason?
Only a fool would deliberately generate bad publicity for no good reason.

I will never fly with this foul operation, but if I did I would piss in a bottle or **** in a carrier bag, and then subsequently empty it on this gob****e's door step.

KENNEDY TOWER
28th Feb 2009, 06:17
Hi,

Some interesting posts in reply to MOL new idea yesterday. Just heard on radio 2 that his statement is all over the newspapers. Boy MOL sure knows how to get free publicity for his airline, I think MOL likes to float wild ideas and see what the reaction is like.

OH by the way toilet paper will be extra!!!!:D

Super VC-10
28th Feb 2009, 06:26
Selfloading, you provided the answer with your smiley.

:ok:

Use your thumb to get as many lifts as it takes. You should be able to get across the Channel as a foot passenger for less than £20. :)

Final 3 Greens
28th Feb 2009, 06:36
Once again, everyone falls for Michael O'Leary's genius for publicity.

The practical considerations (if you stop to think about it) are too many for this to work, how do you deal with £/€ other currencies in the same slot?

And the pax will simply hold the door open for the next person, just avoiding any need to insert a coin :}

Whilst the CAA may not have a rule against the scheme, I would be very surprised if there isn't something out there that prohibits it.

But credit to the man, he's talked Ryanair into the news again.

And to those who talk about the negative impact on the business, Ryanair pax don't care about stuff like this.

I really don't like the airline or the way it is managed, but this was a smart piece of PR.

LongJohnThomas
28th Feb 2009, 09:13
What's really disappointing about all this is that the geeks making all these statements are not the ones who have to eventually deal with the individual passenger.
The Pilots and Cabin Crew are the faces of 'EVIL' that the PAX can see and will be treated thus.
Its not just the cheek of it, it all ball's down to where do we all stop being human?
I agree with Final 3 Greens when he says that MOL has made himself a champion @ publicity by sending any sort of Panic Attack on the unsuspecting Joe Public!
I think MOL likes the sound of his own voice and loves reading about himself in the dailies.
Where does this all stop?
What relevance have crew in the decision making in Airlines these days?
It's surprising how all the decisions seem to be made by owners and lawyers and administrators regardless of the real time consequences of these out of mind constructions of imagination.
Unfortunately, since MOL and his cohorts don't have to deal with Joe Public on an individual basis, its ok to sit in a comfy office and spout any idea that comes to mind!
SAD!!:yuk:

zerosum69
28th Feb 2009, 09:36
ok, clearly this will never happen, but it has generated publicity and got a few people wet on here.

Yep Ryanair is a bus service and you're a number, but on a short haul flight, thats what i want. £30 quid all in to get the alps and back on a shiny new jet. Amazing. If that isnt good enough for you, what is?

To the people moaning about the hidden costs - even if i pay an extra few quid to take a bag or get priority boarding or whatever, so what? 95% of the time its still far cheaper than your precious and not so great as in the good old days legacy carriers. Am i really going to fly BA or BMI instead and pay much more because they give me a sandwich and a gin for 'free'?

The AvgasDinosaur
28th Feb 2009, 11:22
What a monumental PR coup for the wicked Irishman. How many publics have seen and heard all this hullabaloo and picked out the repetitive mantra "Ryanair" and "lowering fares". Got to give the grasping b@stard his due he can work the PR trick. It's like your council tax November = significant rise, December = 12-15%, January- February= 13%, March = 7% April = phew only 7% we did quite well out of that.
It is nothing to do with loo charges it is about getting everyone to look away while he punishes those passengers without internet ( the elderly) by scrapping check in desks ( reduction in staff as well) and tightens the thumb screws on passengers with baggage ( cabin ) and luggage ( hold). He must at this moment be trying desperately to find some revenue use for all that empty space under the floors. Perhaps individual pee tubes at a £1 per shot and extra seats where the loos used to be.
Not catch me with an RYR flight number in my log book.
Be lucky
David

P.S. Please may I nominate Ryanair's New Safety Card - Yours to read for just 2.50by halfpint for the PPrune post of the year award.
Thanks

OFSO
28th Feb 2009, 12:57
A far-eastern based friend commented as follows:

There was shock and horror on the radio today about him thinking about charging passengers to use the toilets on his planes, it kind of amused me, I would love to see all those women who hog the toilets on long haul flights charged !!
I got caught once in a queue of about 10 of them, each one spent about 15 minutes in there, some returning wearing different clothes to when they went in. There should be a timer on the door so it springs open after a reasonable time....
Of course on the return flight from places like India and Bali the airlines could make a killing by charging due to the number of passengers with stomach complaints !

Guest 112233
28th Feb 2009, 13:25
The publicity has worked - I beleive that the Bearded one was on R4 the other day - Is it a bit of "Me too" from the chief executive of Rryanair - Imagine the effect of the trumpet sounding another on time arrival gingle on all those bursting bladders as the reverse thrust is applied after a energetic landing. His statement; by even considering the inhuman idea, belies a contempt for his customers that means that the company is going one way and its not up.

CAT III

Plasticvicar
28th Feb 2009, 14:48
Surely, if he wants to go on serving food and drink on his aircraft, then he has a legal requirement to provide free toilet facilities?

Surely the lost revenue from refreshments would far outweigh that gained from toilet use, given the short-haul nature of Ryan's flights.

Seat62K
28th Feb 2009, 18:29
What do Ryanair's shareholders think about this latest episode, I wonder?

sail4evr
28th Feb 2009, 22:32
everyone just block the door open after they finish using and leave

Selfloading
1st Mar 2009, 08:50
SF
When you get back from your trip please update us on the real cost of the flight after you've been hit by any of the extras. Did you include the credit card charge in your £20 posted?
Will you be taking your own catering with you? and how far from your actual destination will you be when Ryanair deliver you? will you still need to pay out for a long coach/taxi (or car hire) to get you to your final destination?
Fair play to you if you can really do it for £20 per head or less, you can't argue with a bargain basement fare like that.

Hi, yes I did include all charges, the airport is 9 Km from the city centre, we rarely eat on short flights anyway but I added £6 for a coffee and chocolate bar, I've removed my personal details for obvious reasons but here you go.
http://i40.tinypic.com/243i688.jpg

Seat62K
1st Mar 2009, 09:32
If MOL wants to do this he should allow passengers to buy loo credits in advance of flying (on the website when booking). If one credit in each direction were the "default" option many would end up buying them without realising. Those who chose to opt out could get a pop-up asking them "Are you sure you won't need to use the toilet?", much the same as happens now if you opt not to take Ryanair's insurance. Anxious passengers who are worried that they might need to "go", passengers with prostate problems etc. would be a lucrative source of additional income. Paying in advance would, of course, be cheaper than paying for "going" when onboard. Passengers who pay could be given a PIN to use. This would have the benefit of the airline not having to collect coins from toilet doors. (Moreover, having to remove coins once the coin boxes became full might have an adverse impact on tight turn-round times.) People who pay in advance but do not need to "go" would be like the airline's no-shows. There would be a problem ensuring that these passengers did not give their PIN to someone else. I'm not sure how this would be policed. Perhaps cabin staff could ensure that the person using the PIN was the person named on the confirmation printout. After all, all passengers will have photo ID on them.

Taking the idea further, since Ryanair's aircraft have three toilets, one could be designated as a "premium" loo, with upgraded facilities (and fee) to match.

The more I think about this the more promising it looks.

dicksorchard
1st Mar 2009, 23:37
Hey Self loading ...I'm flying from Manchester to Dussledorf next Saturday with Ryanair and it cost me 2 pence return !

So i'm with you mate ,,,If the price is right and when i fly Ryanair it usually is ..
Im booking with Big Mikes mob !

As my other half has a Halifax visa electron card ...2 pence was all that i was charged , no tax's nuthin and if ya want proof i will show you all .

Also flying from Liverpool to Ibiza £16.50 return end of march .

Then a triple flight Liverpool to Palma ( £10 ) then Palma to Gerona ( £5) then Gerona back to Liverpool ( £12 ) .

In 5 years of flying with Ryanair i have had 3 cancellations of which 2 where weather related and the other Strike related .

So if it saves me , my family and my business money especially with the credit crunch a £1 for a p--s aint going to break the bank ...but seriously i can't see it happenin because of health & safety regs etc etc

besides most people would'nt pay on principle ....

if it happens i will have to eat my bookings !

Sober Lark
2nd Mar 2009, 09:59
I'd have thought we would have seen a Stag & Hen party vomit and soiling charge before a pee charge. Automatic deduction of soiling charge from credit card used to pay for the ticket. Slight reduction if you pay online before you travel of course.

zapzap
2nd Mar 2009, 10:30
Whilst there are other options at similar, or less cost, I wont be flying with an airline that openly treats its customers with such contempt. At least carriers such as Easyjet give a modicum of customer service.

Selfloading
2nd Mar 2009, 17:02
dicksorchard, good going mate, Ryanair have allowed me to travel to so many places I would never have been able to visit when the rip off airlines had the monopoly :ok:

BladePilot
2nd Mar 2009, 18:12
SF Well done and thanks for sharing the info with us, fair play to you I'm very happy for you:ok:

The devil is in the detail though isn't it amazing that MOL is charging you more to use your card than he is for the seat! and I wonder just how much actually goes to the CC company?

Have you read 'Ruinair' by Paul Kilduff? you'd love it, all about a guy trying to do the whole FR network for less than £300.:)

Selfloading
2nd Mar 2009, 18:37
SF Well done and thanks for sharing the info with us, fair play to you I'm very happy for you:ok:

The devil is in the detail though isn't it amazing that MOL is charging you more to use your card than he is for the seat! and I wonder just how much actually goes to the CC company?

Have you read 'Ruinair' by Paul Kilduff? you'd love it, all about a guy trying to do the whole FR network for less than £300.:)

No I have not read that, sounds interesting I'll have a look for it, yeah the CC fee is a rip off, there is away round it if I could be bothered, but I probably won't be using Ryanair much in the future, Virgin Blue and Jetstar will be where I'll be trying to find my bargains :ok:

Take care and happy landings.

fendant
2nd Mar 2009, 20:57
Is seating still free on mol estair?

Need to go to London next week

rmac
2nd Mar 2009, 21:17
Gave them a try recently on BTS-EDI route as all other options, including from VIE are via somewhere and make it a very long trip, and it was a very short weekend. The trip was OK but to be honest way below the standard of many other lo-co's that I have tried. Cattle class truly would be an apt description.

Had to smile at the small print in the ticket which would test a well qualified corporate lawyer. Particularly the "extra-bag" fee which incidentally doesn't come with any extra luggage weight, i.e just gives you the original 15kg divided by 1/2 or 3 bags at 10/20 or 40 Euro, strikes me as being deliberately misleading with intent to catch out unwary travellers to be billed excess baggage allowance at fees which are often higher per kilogram than the the fare per person per seat. It comes very close, but not close enough to "theft by deception". I did ask a Ryan air staff member if they got many takers willing to spend the equivalent of a full seat fare to divide 15kg in to three very small bags, she assured me that this happened quite often (which I doubt).

In any case, come Easter, when I need to take the kids and all their gear for Easter to EDI, I shall be paying a bit more and travelling longer in order to have a reasonable level of convenience.

And for the poster that said he/she has seen lots of Europe for a pittance thanks to Ryanair, you must either be one of the ones whose contirbution to the local economy on arrival is lamentable or one of the ones I see being regularly dragged off by the local constabulary for p1ssing in the fountain in the main square.

draughtsman99
2nd Mar 2009, 23:18
And for the poster that said he/she has seen lots of Europe for a pittance thanks to Ryanair, you must either be one of the ones whose contirbution to the local economy on arrival is lamentable or one of the ones I see being regularly dragged off by the local constabulary for p1ssing in the fountain in the main square.How the hell do you get to that conclusion. I know at least one minister of religeon and a medical Doctor who do the same. Their comment is that if they don't waste money on the carrier they can spend more on Hotels and food at their destination.

Selfloading
3rd Mar 2009, 07:14
And for the poster that said he/she has seen lots of Europe for a pittance thanks to Ryanair, you must either be one of the ones whose contirbution to the local economy on arrival is lamentable or one of the ones I see being regularly dragged off by the local constabulary for p1ssing in the fountain in the main square.And you must be the kind of insufferable ignorant idiot who makes sweeping statements about people you know nothing about :mad:

danielson81
3rd Mar 2009, 07:52
I think this (http://s2.b3ta.com/host/creative/38688/1235740297/card.jpg)sums up things to come.

Old Photo.Fanatic
2nd Jun 2009, 13:57
I realise this post may be moved.

My wife has just informed me that it was on the News that MOL
WILL introduce a £1 Toilet charge in 18 Months time.
Its bad enough when on a long Road jouney with my Wife,its planned around regular Toilet "Stops".:O

I will now have to factor in extra charges if its a fairly long Flight!!!!!!:{:{
I am sure I am not alone in this situation.

Dysag
2nd Jun 2009, 14:00
Being an Irish airline, I suppose it's a bog charge.

An old story, by the way.

Nearly There
2nd Jun 2009, 14:04
It was in the news many weeks ago and has been covered on numerous threads on here already, google 'Ryanair toilet charge pprune'
It started tongue in cheek when he mentioned it during a TV interview after he started a competition on the FR website as to were/what the airline could charge for in the future.

hellsbrink
2nd Jun 2009, 14:05
Ryanair, the worlds first "pay as you go" airline...........

Old Photo.Fanatic
2nd Jun 2009, 14:09
I realise this is an old Chesnut, but I thought in this case the statement was I WILL introduce the charge.
As opposed to I MIGHT charge.

OPF