PDA

View Full Version : Automobile Engineer To A Pilot

turbolader
26th Feb 2009, 22:01
hey guys,

I am an automobile engineer, have completed my masters in the US in automotive systems n crash safety, and have worked with Toyota Racing Development and have also done proving ground testing for the same.

Now i have gained a lot of interest for planes n flying, i am 23yrs old and am thinking of shifting to flying by the end of 2009. Now i have no clue about the procedures to go about to get into a flying school n which would be the fastest mode to get a pilot license and how much would it cost. Do i have to take an ground skool training before i join any flying skool?? And since im 23yrs old, is it too late to start a career in this field??

Will my masters degree in the above mentioned, by any way help me in this field or make it easier to get a job?

I would greatly appreciate if u guys could giv me ur feed back, as i guess a lot of experienced or trainee pilots in this forum could help me make the right decision.

Regards,

-turbolader

Nathan1986
26th Feb 2009, 22:57
Hey there,

I myself currently work as an Engineer for Mitsubishi in the UK, I think that if you search this forum you will find a lot of useful information on the first steps to take and things to consider before setting off on the long, twisting road of becoming a pilot. The first licence/qualification you will require is a PPL (Private Pilots Licence). If you contact a local flying School/Club they will be able to point you in the right direction and answer many questions you may have.

As for your qualifications, I dont think the actual qualification will benifit you in a great way but at the very least it shows that you have done something productive since leaving school and gained qualifications in that field. A lot of pilots (especially at the moment) will tell you that its all about flying hours experience. A fresh out of Flight school guy with 250 hours and a boeing 737 type rating who also has a degree would not be chosen over a guy with a few thousand hours on a 737 without a degree.

Good Luck with whatever you choose to do and i hope you found my input helpful.

Regards
Nathan1986