PDA

View Full Version : B737 NG Decel Point

Wings of Arabia
26th Feb 2009, 19:18
The Decel Point shown on the ND of B737 NG sometimes just vanishes. In a constant decent approach, I noticed that, depending on the approach type, the Decel point may or may not be on the screen. Although the airplane still slows down as scheduled with no problems, I was wondering if someone could tell me why this happens and what conditions and/or parameters make the Decel point invisible.

Thank you,

hoover1
26th Feb 2009, 23:40
it does this since it does not need to level off to decel. it can decel while decending at a lower rate and still make the profile. most likely because the forcasted wind you entered were different from actual.

Rainboe
26th Feb 2009, 23:43
Well I never knew that! I wondered why the darn thing came and went. But at that stage, you shouldn't really be using it! Fly your own approach. Revolt! Throw away the computer! Slow down when you want, not when it tells you!

john_tullamarine
27th Feb 2009, 00:06
But at that stage, you shouldn't really be using it! Fly your own approach. Revolt!

I think we might end up becoming dinosaurs, my friend. Only time I used the autopilot/FMS for descent was if the coffee was better than usual ... but I fear the younger folk see it all through different coloured spectacles ?

Speedwinner
27th Feb 2009, 08:42
Well, i use it as a backup. Doesnt mean that i cant fly but the fmc calculates a pretty good descend profile into fields which have no restrictions. so i fly approaches with nearly no power. ive seen fellows who dont like this feature, always ending up with setting much more power or doing about 6-8 nm level flights. well, they planned their descend on their own. but used much more fuel. good airmanship is important but hating computers in out time is stupid especially in modern airline cockpits.

work together, not against the computers. And keep it simple. Thats my message

howdy

john_tullamarine
1st Mar 2009, 01:29
work together, not against the computers. And keep it simple. Thats my message

Well said, sir. While I liked to play pilot the FMS was always there for me to test my thoughts and strategies against, and the A/T was always ready to tell me if I did something particularly stupid. I just didn't like the idea of letting them run the show .. useful servants was the limit of their competence.

BUGS/BEARINGS/BOXES
1st Mar 2009, 08:18
I just didn't like the idea of letting them run the show

then switch off the A/T and revolt once more!! :E

of course an explanation to company bean counters may be in order :}

I have now returned to the land of all things auto throttled.

try the embraer 145...fly by N1's.....you set 'em, itflys 'em. :eek: