PDA

View Full Version : Last minute questions.

Mohit_C
26th Feb 2009, 15:21
Hello everyone,

I am just a few days from my ATPL exams and have some doubts to which I would appreciate if someone could give me, not necessary long but, brief explanations to. They're not a lot so please stick with me. Thanks in advance.

Q1) What is the TUC following a rapid decompression at 20 000 ft?
A) 1 to 2 minutes.
B) 1 to 2 hours.
C) About 3 minutes. answer
D) 5 to 10 minutes.
I would have gone for D.

Q2) Assume a North polar stereographic chart whose grid is aligned with the Greenwich meridian. An aircraft flies from the geographic North pole for a distance 480 NM along the 110ºE meridian. Then follows a grid track of 154º for a distance of 300 NM. Its position is now approximately:
A) 80º00'N 080ºE answer
B) 78º45'N 087ºE
C) 79º15'N 074ºE
D) 70º15'N 080ºE
I work my way up to the first part getting the following coordinates: 82ºN 110ºE. I don’t know how to follow on from then onwards.
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5071/asdfq.png (http://imageshack.us)
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/asdfq.png/1/w692.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img27/asdfq.png/1/)

Q3) Given:
NDB position is 55º10'N 012º55'E Aircraft position is 54º53'N 009º58'E The NDB needle on the RMI reads 090º. Variation = 10ºW. The position line to be plotted on a Lambert conformal chart. The standard parallels of the chart are at 40ºN and 48ºN. What is the true bearing to be plotted from the NDB?
A) 262º answer
B) 242º
C) 252º
D) 272º
Absolutely no idea how to work this one out.

Q4) Given:
True altitude 9000 ft
OAT -32ºC
CAS 200 kts.
What is the TAS?
A) 210 kts
B) 215 kts
C) 205 kts
D) 220 kts answer
My CR3 manual doesn’t deal on how to solve this kind of problem. Could someone give me a hand or is there a quicker formula to calculate this?

Q5) In aeronautics, the most commonly used batteries are NiCd because:
A) Their output voltage is more constant than lead-acid batteries.
B) They weigh less than lead-acid batteries. answer
C) Their electrolyte is neither corrosive nor dangerous.
D) They are cheaper than lead-acid batteries.
Some notes I have clearly state that even though NiCd supply a lower voltage of about 1.2 volts, it is much more stable than lead acid ones, which starts off with 2.2 volts and decreases steadily.

Q6)About the turn-indicator, the measurement of the rate-of-turn consists in:
A) Measuring the roll rate for low bank angles.
B) Measuring the yaw rate for high bank angles.
C) Measuring the roll rate for high bank angles.
D) Measuring the yaw rate for low bank angles. answer
In some notes I have, the rate-of-turn only shows roll rate whereas the turn-coordinator shows roll rate plus yaw rate. So how comes this answer?

Q7) In automatic landing mode, in case of failure of one of the two autopilots, the system is considered:
A) "Fail passive" or without failure effect but with disconnection. answer
B) "Fail survival" or without failure effect with function always ensured.
C) "Fail hard" or without failure effect and disconnection.
D) "Fail soft" with minimized failure effect.

Q8) Maximum endurance:
A) Is the same as maximum specific range with wind correction.
B) Can be flow in a steady climb only.
C) Can be reached with the “best rate of climb” speed in level flight.
D) Is achieved in unaccelerated level flight with minimum fuel consumption. answer
Isn’t D also equal to C?

Q9) At a constant Mach number the thrust and fuel flow of a jet engine:
A) Increase with increasing altitude.
B) Decrease in proportion to the ambient pressure at constant temperature. answer
C) Are independent of outside air temperature (OAT).
D) Increase in proportion to the ambient pressure at constant temperature.
B and D say the same thing no?

Q10)
The discontinuity plane of a normal shock wave:
A) Is always perpendicular to the local air flow.
B) Is always normal to the local air flow. answer
C) Features a marked drop in temperature.
D) Features a marked drop in pressure.
What is the difference between normal and perpendicular? :S

->In Instrumentation there are quite a few questions asking the anticipation when using a direct reading compass. My book gives me a formula which never works out. What is the correct one to use?
->Has someone got the chart E(LO)1 in the Jeppesen Student Pilot Route Manual?

Thanks a billion.

Andy_20
26th Feb 2009, 15:52
Good luck for the exams,:ok: i have my exams hopefully in April, Not sure about a couple of those questions though. I havent had them on any Bristol QB test yet. Im guessing that in the endurance question it isnt really asking about climbing, your best chance for endurance is for minimal fuel consumption. So thats why its probably the answer.

With regard to TAS/CAS calculations if your Wizz wheel isnt good enough id get a CRP 5 ASAP.

I guess with some of the material you just have to accept it is what it is. Sorry im not more help.

Whirlygig
26th Feb 2009, 16:15
Mohit, shouldn't your ground school instructors be helping you with these now? If you're only a few days from the exams, you should be on your brush-up course? I'm afraid now is not a good time to be saying you've no idea how to do a particular type of question.

Q9) - Answers B & D are not the same; they are opposite.

Good luck.

Cheers

Whirls

quant
26th Feb 2009, 17:06
Hi Mohit, sorry i can't help as i'm at the ppl stage myself but i just wanted to wish you good luck :p

Mohit_C
26th Feb 2009, 17:21
Thanks for the "good lucks".

As for the questions:
Q3) This is the only one type of questions that appears in the exam so instructor have advised me just to memorize it...

Q9) Perhaps I phrased it wrong, but I say B and D say the same thing because if you say "Person A is taller than Person B" is the same as saying "Person B is shorter than Person A". Is this also applicable in this question?

EK4457
26th Feb 2009, 18:52
Way to build up confidence whirls!

I suppose you went into all of your exams knowing everything and got a 100% average?!!

Mohit - you are actually allowed to sit the exams and not be a genius. I know I'm not and I did ok.

Here's my effort:

1) Just learn them. Load of rubbish anyway - they depend on so many variables they are pretty much a guess.

2) Polarstereographs are eveyones favourate.

Can you not draw a right angled triangle with point 82N 110E having an angle of 26 deg and hypotenuse of 300? Find out the values of both sides, convert to degrees and add to original coordinates.

I worked it out to get 80N exactly. Didn't bother with longitude as I would have ticked that answer and moved on. Especially Gen Nav.

This is not exact, but the Q does say approximate. Usually for a reason.

Difficult to explain without a diagram.

3) Is this not a classic case of bamboozling you with far too much info? Wouldn't be the first time. I'm not sure what the Q is actually asking for, but if it is simply true bearing from the NDB to the A/C (QTE) you just need the coordinates and some simple trig. If the Q wants somthing else it beats me!

4) Sorry - no CRP to hand. Says it all really - not required!

5) JAR nonsense again. Just learn it.

6) From what I remember, the turn INDICATOR only measures yaw. So forget all roll answers. At high bank angles, the gyro is starting to measure rate of pitch and loosing the ability to measure rate of turn due to the fact it is at an angle. At 90 deg bank angle it is theoretically useless (although in realtiy it is much before this). Again, difficult to explain without diagrams.

7) To autoland, you need 2 servicable APs. If you have 3, you are fail operational. This means you can have an AP faliure and continue because you will still have 2.

However, if you only have 2 APs you can autoland, BUT if you loose one you cant. This is called fail passive.

Basically, any more than 2 APs = fail operational
2 APs = fail passive
1 AP = No autoland.

8) Best ROC speed (Vy) is where there is maximum excess power. This does not HAVE to be Vmp (but ususally is). Also, the Q doesn't specify Jet or Prop.

Basically, D is ALLWAYS right, but C is only somtimes right. A bit of common sense will tell you that D is pretty much THE definition of max endurance speed. C is a bit wishy-washy.

9) As far as I can see, you are correct. B and D are the same. They are both effectively saying 'proportional to the ambient pressure'. Weather it goes up or down is irrelevent. They are still proportional. Both could be correct.

10) There is no difference. They are the same thing. Another rubbish Q.

Thats my best!

Disclaimer: Trust me, I can be wrong. Just ask my wife. If I am, I apologise. Please feel free to correct me.

EK

Alex Whittingham
26th Feb 2009, 19:38
Q9 A badly written question that was taken out of the CQB years ago. If the DGCA are still using it you should appeal it.

Rodders the great
26th Feb 2009, 20:04
Alex, do you mind if I ask how you claim to know the contents of the CQB? I thought it was kept as a closely guarded secret, or do you have some kind of contacts on the inside?

Frankly Mr Shankly
26th Feb 2009, 20:07
Just one or two :}

Whirlygig
26th Feb 2009, 20:29
Perhaps I'm the only one who is a bit concerned that the original poster is not getting the support and assistance from his groundschool and has felt the need, over the last year, to ask this forum for explanations on questions from an out of date question bank.

Cheers

Whirls

Alex Whittingham
26th Feb 2009, 20:44
We don't know all of it, but we do know some of it. You can find old versions of the CQB yourself on e-bay like Mohit did. I'm holding back from agreeing with Whirls because of my obviously partisan position but it does look like you're making this harder than you need to, Mohit. I think Keith Williams desrves huge credit for doing the job your groundschool should have done for you on your earlier threads.

Mohit_C
26th Feb 2009, 21:19
Firstly, thanks for those replies and I guess I'll leave them at that.

Secondly, yes I know I should have asked my groundschool on all these questions, and over the past year or so that I have asked on these forums and the fact is that I have. By doing questions and questions I keep getting more and different doubts and I generally find posting on Pprune much quicker for solving those doubts than waiting for ground school instructors, which doesn't necessarily mean waiting till the following day as they turn up according to the classes we have.

Lastly, yes I know Keith Williams has been very generous in giving me very clear explanations on all of my doubts and that I appreciate a lot from him.

That's all I got to say.

Rodders the great
26th Feb 2009, 21:23
Whirly, perhaps Mohit has pissed off his ground school by asking too many questions! You gotta chill out man, the JAA exams are a farce and the question bank is plagued with dreadful questions, don't let them get to you.

Good luck by the way, I admire your persistance and desire to understand everything. A few too many students, myself included perhaps are relying on online question banks a bit too much and perhaps don't understand things as they should, but there is a happy medium to be found!

Alex Whittingham
26th Feb 2009, 21:24
Sorry Mohit, I didn't mean you to stop posting, you carry on. I was just questioning why the people you paid to help you weren't doing it. Keith can be found at EPTA in Bournemouth, incidentally, should you wish to send him a bottle of Rioja!

Mohit_C
26th Feb 2009, 21:31
No need for the apologies, I think you've misunderstood me. I will always keep posting.:ok:

The Terminator
27th Feb 2009, 04:00
just keep bristoling it do the banks learn the answers you´l do fine