PDA

View Full Version : ATPL theory after PPL ?

26th Feb 2009, 14:04
Hi!

I have a JAR-PPL(A) and I'm thinking if I should start studying ATPL theories now or should I first get CPL/IR/ME/FI etc and then study ATPL. Is it even possible to start modular training now if I only have PPL or is the integrated course only option for me at this moment ? JAR says that if one has PPL the "course length" is 660 hours but with CPL/IR 450h and CPL+IR 300h.
So the main issue is that I could get a job now and earn money for my coming studies versus study now full-time and pay back a loan as a flight instructor later. Thanks in advance.

-J.V.

BRS_flyer
26th Feb 2009, 15:36
You cannot take either the CPL or IR skills test without having passed the relevent theory first. The hours refer to the amount of study needed for the relevent theory for each part. Most people who are aiming for ATPL status do all the theory exams together before starting the CPL course as they are not much more than the CPL exams and cover the theory for the IR as well.

I think you may have Integrated and Modular mixed up! It is possible to start a modular course with a PPL complete but some integrated providers may make you start from scratch. My advice to you would be to begin the ATPL studies on a part time basis, while continuing to save via your work.

Best of luck

wannabe15
27th Feb 2009, 06:43

You're talking about the classroom hours. The full professional license can be obtained via the modular way at min 250 flying hours, assuming first time passes at all stages.

BRS is correct. Should get the ATPL theory out of the way first before commencing on the flying.

Captain_djaffar
27th Feb 2009, 07:14
ATPL first ...this will be a huge off-load prior to the CPL and IR.
And a pinch of confidence along will be added.

If you followed the industry trend, going modular is less risky financially.

Cheers and goodluck.

Mr. SkyRaider
27th Feb 2009, 07:25
I will use my example - perhaps it will help you.

Just after my PPL(A) I attended ATPL(A) theory course - in fact it was distance learning course (app. 150h in class room, rest self-study at home). It enabled me to have full time non-aviation job + build hours in the meantime. After I passed all ATPL(A) theory exams I started practical part of training: CPL, ME, IR.

Remember that ATPL theory/exams covers area of CPL and IR. So it's better to do it just once.

Good luck:ok:

Chasegood
27th Feb 2009, 09:27
Mr SkyRaider - do you mind me asking where you went for these?

Mr. SkyRaider
27th Feb 2009, 12:27
Turbo-prop regional operator in Central Eastern Europe

Whirlygig
27th Feb 2009, 12:35
It's not a case of, "it's better to have ATPL/CPL theory before you commence your commercial flying training" but a matter of, "you must have passed your commercial theory before you sit your skill test for CPL" :}

In JAA land anyway!!

On a modular programme therefore, you would generally commence groundschool after PPL and during your hour-building phase.

Cheers

Whirls

BHenderson
28th Feb 2009, 22:42
Just to throw a spanner in the works here:

It's not technically a requirement to have passed the ATPL theory exams to attend the modular CPL/IR courses. The FTO must only ensure that you have 'sufficient knowledge'. So you have to look in the FTO's manuals to determine their definition of sufficient knowledge. This will vary from FTO to FTO. You only technically need the theory to apply for your licence. Having said all that, I doubt an FTO would entertain your custom without the exam passes in hand.