PDA

View Full Version : CAA approved calulator recomendations please

Dicky Birded
26th Feb 2009, 09:35
Hi,

I want to get a CAA approved calculator.
Their website states it should be scientific, non-programmable, non-alphanumeric without specific aviation functions.

Searching on the web Cranfield recommend the Casio fx-85WA, but this appears to have been discontinued.

Have anyone bought a calculator recently and can recommend one?

Thanks

DB.

midgie
26th Feb 2009, 10:15
Hi

If you go to WHSmith or similar you'll find the packaging clearly indicates if it is approved for GCSE exams. So that type would be fine for your ATPLs as well. (same requiermets & restrictions)

Mine was a CASIO fx-83MS. But that was a while ago.

Hope that helps.
midgie

Rugbyears
26th Feb 2009, 13:06
Dicky Birded I purchased mine from Amazon - May I quickly note for Mod purposes, that I am not endorsing Amazon as an outlet in any form, simply assisting poster!

Casio FX 85MS Calculator: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-FX-85MS-Calculator/dp/B0000C78O6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1235656897&sr=8-4)

:)

potkettleblack
26th Feb 2009, 15:03
Ditto on the above. The h/m/s function was a godsend. Saved my bacon on numerous occasions during the exams.

RudeNot2
26th Feb 2009, 17:05
After checking for recommendations on the Bristol forums I ended up getting the Casio FX83ES from Tescos for about a fiver. Seems to do all required - as much learning that as the course itself!!

Dicky Birded
27th Feb 2009, 09:37
Thanks for all the replies.

Ended up getting a FX-83ES from Tesco as I was passing a store.
Not sure what the differences are as they all loook very simliar.

Cheers

DB.