PDA

View Full Version : Digital Video cam to mpeg format.

Defenestrator
26th Feb 2009, 05:31
I have dropped all the footage from my JVC digital Video Camera onto my computer and have no idea how to reduce it in size so that I can email some of it. Any ideas.....and is mpeg the best format or is there something better?

With Thanks

D.

Background Noise
26th Feb 2009, 06:45
There are format-changing programs available free on the web. as well as programs specifically for making eg ipod compatibility etc.

However, you can do it in Windows Movie Maker, which is included in XP. Import your video, edit it if required, and then play around with the 'finish movie' options. In the save to my computer option, having named the file, there are many size and quality settings avaialble (under show more choices). There is even a send-as-email option which produces a wmv file.

Jofm5
26th Feb 2009, 07:20
As well as different compression algorithms you may want to look at the pallete size your using - if you are in true colour (24bit per pixel) then reducing the pallete size can substantially reduce the size without serious loss of detail.

But as always you wont get something for nothing, to reduce the file size you need to reduce the detail being stored. Either by resolution, pallete or alogorithm