PDA

View Full Version : Friends of Tony Hoyle pse Rally Round

4PON4PIN
25th Feb 2009, 22:04
It is with great regret that I recently learned that Tony (ex 46 Sqn Andovers) suffered a stroke a fortnight ago and is still hospitalised. However his wife Leslie hopes that he will be able to return to their Lechlade home 'ere long. He was totally paralysed down one side but is now able to walk a few steps but is unable to talk and has a very very short memory span.
Leslie is obviously spending all her time with him and doing all possible to get him back on the golf course!
The professionals caring for Tony have advised that such patients need continual input to revive old memories so this is where those of you who are old chums of Tony & Leslie can possibly help.
If you could spare a few moments to put pen to paper with a few anecdotes, memories, (especially useful if accompanied by piccies), then Leslie can read these to him over and over.
I hope to get an e-mail address within the next day or two but you can always pm me and I will reply only to genuine chums who are unaware of their current home address for "snail-mail"
Just a thought, but..It being Lent, I think it always better to do something positive rather than continual denial of ones "treats".
In anticipation, many thanks to all who respond. :ok:

Farfrompuken
25th Feb 2009, 22:50
I wish Tony a speedy return to good health and thoughts with his family at such a difficult time.

A true gent; I recall one IRT where, having passed, he stated in the debrief "you were in the safety lane - once. Nice approach"!

kaikohe76
27th Feb 2009, 05:57
Very sorry indeed to hear the news about Tony. I remember him as a superbly professional Andover Captain & Trainer, it was always a pleasure to be on his Crew. In particular, at all times he treated us with great consideration, tact & understanding, while we were all wrestling to get the job at the time done, a real gent through & through.
I do recall one nightstop Jan 1971! in Karup of all places, we were certainly rather well looked after by the Danes that evening & then there was an exercise in Pisa, Flt Lt `Luigi Hoyle` was the detachment Commander I recall. I do hope that memories such as this can come back to Tony as quickly as possible & hopefully assist along the way with his recovery.
I will certainly put pen to paper & see if I can unearth the odd photo from the album, anything at all to help under the circumstances.
We are all thinking of you Tony & of course Leslie & your family as well.

Graham Laurie
27th Feb 2009, 10:13
Thanks for the news, very sorry to hear. Thoughts are with Leslie and family. Remember him on the early days of 46 and as everyone mentions 'what a trainer'. I also remember him on 84 and Forces Radio Sharjah as a very sophisticated broadcaster. Met up again at Brize, so will write.

Rgds to all

4PON4PIN
28th Feb 2009, 13:05
Spoke with Leslie yesterday and Tony is likely to remain hospitalised for another 3 weeks at least. Good news is that Tony's mobility improves but on the down side is the frustration of inability to talk and short-term memory. Leslie is pleased with the very kind sentiments expressed through this means and also DB of 46! I have an e-mail address for Tony & Leslie which will be sent via D.B. for forwarding to 46 members but other friends may p.m. me and I will respond with contact details.
I have used this media as a "one-off" means of advising folk of the situ and means of making contact. I do not intend it as a "bulletin board" of Tony's progress but you are more than welcome to append amusing anecdotes should you wish. Sincere thanks for your responses.

theblackduck
28th Feb 2009, 20:47
Saddened to hear of Tony's problem. I too remember him as a superb pilot and a pleasure to be in his crew. I also dimly remember the Pisa exercise!
Best regards to his family and old friends.
Des Skinner
:ok: