PDA

View Full Version : Vista and my AOL rrr!!!!

dynamite dean
25th Feb 2009, 13:10
I bought a new laptop sony Vaio with Vista on it. ONLY AOL email do I encounter problems such as screen freezing , Email not downloading, and when after a number of attempts I finally get to read my mail and delete it I get a message saying something about is trying to close this window and so IE closes down....what on earth is going on?!

I normally can only get into AOL email by deleting all cookies then it works but then the screen still freezes and get a

Oh well back to my trusty Hotmail account that I have had for 11 years and had not one problem!

jimtherev
25th Feb 2009, 17:19
I'm not clear from your post if you are using the notorious AOL interface which is basically IE which AOL have 'improved'. Lots of problems with this inept package - even when you think 'Oh well, I'll use Internet Explorer', and get the same lame AOL version. It's stuffed. :{

At least Thunderbird or another alternative - 3 or 4 others out there - would confirm whether it's the AOL server or the b***ered IE which is causing your headaches.

Good luck.

hellsbrink
25th Feb 2009, 18:48
Does AOHell still allow you to set up your email via a pop3 server? It could be the answer, as then you would read your emails via Outlook/Outlook Express/any other mail programme

dynamite dean
25th Feb 2009, 19:52
Thanks so far, what I am trying to say is that I use IE already to access the internet and just simply tap in AOL on the address bar and I get to the AOL page. Then I sign in as normal and thats when the problems start!

cheers

hellsbrink
25th Feb 2009, 21:36
That sounds like the issue is with how the AOHell page is designed and scripted. They've screwed up the site.

call100
26th Feb 2009, 09:41
I thought AOL had finished support for their browser and were recommending Firefox to new customers....Might be worth a try. At least it would confirm for you it's their site....

al446
26th Feb 2009, 12:23
I was on AOL years ago and was so disgusted with them I have never touched them since. After I gave them the push I found that their software is like herpes, once you install it then try to remove it is where the headache starts. Thought I'd got everything off but would keep finding bits still there, buried, was worse than a virus and never did clean it out fully, only thing that worked was new computer. And I was a bit of a geek back then.
Take advice given, switch to Firefox and scrub AOL's stuff.