PDA

View Full Version : Downgrading IR to IMC ??

pipertommy
24th Feb 2009, 19:45
Hi all,
I have my 12 month reval coming up for the ME/IR, I feel that paying all that money for the next 12 months worth of not much hope on the job front will makes sense to go use a SEP/IMC. I instruct part time so I would prefer to an IMC minimum.

My question is regarding the reval. If I leave it for 12/18 months and then renew the ME/IR will it require a full on IR-test or just the slightly more relaxed check?

Thanks
PT.

MIKECR
24th Feb 2009, 20:11
If its your first reval then you can do it in the sim. You would obviously only be able to 'revalidate' the MEIR rating rather than the MEP though. If you go passed the expiry reval date then you have no option other than to do a 'renewal'(rather than reval) if you decide to renew. It would aslo have to be done in the aircraft, at significantly greater cost.

As for the renewal test, its quite similar to the original IR test, not quite as intense though. I found mine more of a lesson rather than a test. The original test profile is still loosely followed though.

p.s.

renting an SEP to go and get your IMC rating could prove roughly similar cost to the IR reval in the sim. Remembering of course, a current MEIR rating is all thats required for that first Type rating course. The MEP rating isn't. In your shoe's, I wouldnt bother doing an IMC, I cant see what purpose it will serve.

Canada Goose
25th Feb 2009, 08:27
Pipertommy I posed a similar question a couple of days ago on the Instructors forum. I think you will reliably find Keygrip has the facts!

http://www.pprune.org/flying-instructors-examiners/363382-help-please-converting-meir-imc-rating.html

As Keygrip states you can apply for an IMC rating whilst your IR is still current (valid?). This is what I probably do and then renew my IR when the IMC expires or before 5 years is up after the last IR test. That said, I may revalidate my MEIR if the I can do it cheaply enough when I’m over in Florida in April on a family holiday and then in 2010 apply for the IMC rating.

However, on another note, a mate of mine told me last week that he heard a rumour that the IMC rating was going to be scrapped and indeed Keygrip eludes to this in his post (Thanks JAA-Eurozone !!!!!) This should prove to be a real stumbling block if it happens as there are many jump (paradrop) pilots who hold PPL and IMC that are given a dispensation and are allowed into CAS above drop zones. Nice one EASA !!! :D :ugh:

Cheers,
CG.

pipertommy
25th Feb 2009, 08:42
Thanks. I revalidated the IR in the sim last year so it is the aircraft for me this time.

I will be concentrating on instructing this summer and feel and IMC in the back pocket as a safety net would be wise.

I wondered if there is a time limit on the renewal side of things( basically leave a 12 month gap and renew it next year) ie as you state 5 years from test. Can this be taken as 5 years from last revalidation requires a IR test? Including a test fee?

PT

nick14
25th Feb 2009, 09:29
Don't know about you guys but in my licence it say IMC exempt.

I take that to mean that I can exercise the rating??

any thoughts

Nick

KFTW
25th Feb 2009, 09:42
Hi,
Where can you renew your MEIR in Florida?

Regards,
KFTW

pipertommy
25th Feb 2009, 10:14
UK CPL is automatic IMC rating, if thats what you have?

Canada Goose
25th Feb 2009, 11:01
It believe it is only the old CAA National CPL that grants you automatic IMC privilege. The Chief Pilot at my drop zone luckily has this and it enables him to fly SEP in CAS as his current IR is only valid for multi crew jet (757), poor thing ;)

Pipertommy, I believe you have 6 years (according to Keygrip) from date of renewal before you would have to completely retake with written exams and CAA examiners.

KFTW - Check your PM's. :ok:

Cheers,
CG.

pipertommy
25th Feb 2009, 11:55
Thanks again CG.:ok: