PDA

View Full Version : IRT Debriefing Technique

EESDL
24th Feb 2009, 19:40
"That was some of the worst flying I have ever seen"

was opening phrase to a young/inexperienced pilot in debrief of 2-hr ME rotary test flight.

Subsequently, after misquoting numerous regulations and procedures went on to give pilot a 'partial pass' - having dipped below outbound min ht on procedure.

Would like to redress conduct of debrief and test.
Not disputing result - pilot has since passed - but do not feel test fee justified.

Next step anyone?
Conduct/debrief was witnessed by school instructor - personally, I'm flabbergasted that such an examiner could hold such a position and behave in such a manner.

FlyingForFun
27th Feb 2009, 08:11
There are official ways of filing complaints about the conduct of a test (but not the result). However, as you say, this probably isn't appropriate in this case if the student has already gone on to take his Attempt 2 and passed.

My suggestion would be to have an informal chat with the CAA Chief Examiner (Helicoptors). Make sure that you have a list of specific things which were said which you feel were incorrect or unjustified, rather than just generalities, and definitely don't make it personal. It might also help if you have examples from more than one test, since all of us have off days (whether we like to admit it or not) and the examiner might have just been having one of those days. And if you have other instructors who will give similar examples from other tests with other candidates, that might help too.

Once you've presented the evidence, the Chief Examiner will, I would imagine, decide whether he should have a quiet word with the examiner concerned.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

FFF
-------------