PDA

View Full Version : Sully speaks. Will the industry & their puppet regulators listen ?

JimBall
24th Feb 2009, 16:45
In the light of Uncle Ian's struggle to stay working after the age of 60, it's worth reading the following from "The Hudson" pilot, Sully - giving evidence to the US Congress today. This man would be too old to be a solo CPL next year if he ever had the misfortune to work in the UK and seek a license. He has 42 years flying experience.

The bold underline is mine - it's like a neon sign.

Any sign of BALPA stepping up, Ian ????

The pilot of a plane that ditched into the Hudson River in New York has called on US airlines to invest more in recruiting and training pilots.
Capt Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger told Congress his pay had been cut by 40% in recent years, and the industry might not attract the "best and brightest".
"The single most important piece of safety equipment is an experienced, well-trained pilot," he said.
He was hailed as a hero after January's landing, which all on board survived.
At the hearing, an air traffic controller recalled the captain telling him he would land in the river, and thinking this was a "death sentence".
Controller Patrick Harten said it felt like hours before he heard of the plane's "heroic landing".
Earlier, Capt Sullenberger told the House committee he and other pilots had seen their wages cut, and that this was deterring potential recruits.
He said it was necessary for companies to refocus on the recruitment and training of pilots, and that this should be "at least as important as their bottom lines".
"We've been hit by an economic tsunami: September 11th, bankruptcies, fluctuating fuel prices, mergers, loss of pensions and revolving door management teams," he said.
Capt Sullenberger said his decision to stay in the airline industry had come at "a great financial cost to me and my family", with his pay cut and pension downgraded.
"It is an incredible testament to the collective character, professionalism and dedication of my colleagues in the industry that they are still able to function at such a high level."

heli-cal
24th Feb 2009, 19:25
I have always thought it odd that airlines pay vast amounts of money to buy, install and maintain seatback entertainment systems which add to the complexity, weight, fuel consumption and maintenance costs of aircraft.

By not providing such systems, airlines would have a far greater budget, some of which could be diverted to pay for training and/or safety equipment over and above the legal minimum requirements.

Are passengers really going to avoid flying a particular airline if entertainment systems are not fitted, especially if they knew that the airline invested the money in better training and equipment?

Perhaps mine is an overly simplistic viewpoint!

DOUBLE BOGEY
24th Feb 2009, 20:36
BALPA,

Please Give Mr Sully a job as Advisor/Negotiator/Hero.

The man is a Gem!!!!!

One of the best posts I have ever read on pprune!!!

DB

Gypsy_Air
24th Feb 2009, 20:48
Will the industry & their puppet regulators listen ?
No, probably not. :(

airborne_artist
24th Feb 2009, 21:00
Airlines are run by accountants for the benefit of shareholders. Pilots do not really come into the equation until they save the lives of customers - the accountants allow them their 15 mins of fame and then try quite hard to get them back in the box.

unstable load
25th Feb 2009, 00:10
airborne_artist,
Too true, but consider that pilots are seen as a necessary expense that brings in the income whereas maintenance on the other hand is this deep endless hole that sucks up cash and never stops.
Beancounters really do not like Engineers.

krypton_john
25th Feb 2009, 02:04
Where are these pilots going to? Where can a pilot on a 6 digit salary go to outside the airlines with his experience and qualifications and get a job that will offer similar renumeration?

Um... lifting...
25th Feb 2009, 02:27
The point is that he can't go anywhere to do that, so he'll do something else, and from an earlier age. This isn't about Sully, the individual.
Many potential pilots won't enter the industry at all for that very reason.
That's essentially the crux of the testimony. Those people who would get themselves trained with a large financial investment that will never pay off won't be able to justify it. Those who were military officers in the U.S. who have other university education and training (a very large proportion) will pursue those other paths. More than once I've seen a 45-year old F/O on a regional in the right seat, and I know that guy is pulling down $18K per annum.