PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft targets FAKE copies of OFFICE

Gulfstreamaviator
24th Feb 2009, 09:28
I have been advised by Microsoft that my copies of office 2003 are fake.

As I bought these two computers many years ago with pre loaded software, I have no way of disputing this claim.

So they are advising me that I am running fake copies of office.

Is there any way I can resolve this without buying more copies of office. ???

Thinking of any open equivelent software.

Thanks in expectation., but not hope.

glf

Saab Dastard
24th Feb 2009, 12:23
There's also free online alternatives such as Google Docs, Ajax Windows, Edesk online, Glide, Peepel, Thinkfree and Zoho Personal.

PCW has a review of these in the current (April) edition - Thinkfree got the editor's choice award.

SD

Jofm5
24th Feb 2009, 12:51
Quite often if you actually get in contact with Microsofts fraud department and explain to them what you have to us they will treat you like a victim and in return of details of which vendor was passing off their software as legit they will furnish you with licences for what you already have gratis.

MacBoero
24th Feb 2009, 12:55
When Microsoft pop the message up to say your running 'fake' or illegitimate software, there is usually a button you can click to resolve the issue. Very often doing this gives you an option to pay for the software at a price that is very hard to match anywhere else.

PPRuNe Pop
24th Feb 2009, 12:57
GSA, good advice that. I got to the end of loading XP Home on a friends computer and it turned out to be duff.

I called Microsoft and it was as if they were watching it load! Anyway within 5 minutes they gave a MS licence key that is still in use today. That you have a copy bought in good faith will, I am sure, get you a MS licence in minutes.

PPP

Gulfstreamaviator
24th Feb 2009, 14:22
I will investigate the free alternatives.

I will also try to communicate with the master of the universe, and see if that route is viable.

Many thanks.

glf