PDA

View Full Version : Oxford VS Bristol ATPL distance learning

katua
24th Feb 2009, 07:44
Does anyone has experience in Oxford or Bristol ATPL distance learning.
I still decide which one is better in term of instructor, question bank , training material ,pass rate and well-known school.

I heard that a cost is slightly differ which is not big issue.

Thank you

edmooriginal
24th Feb 2009, 07:49
I studied at Bristol a couple of years back. One thing that was clear when meeting Oxford and Cabair students was that they all subscribed to the Bristol question database. It is home study but I banged all the exams out in 5 months so if you can be strict with yourself you can do it alot quicker than the Oxford/Cabair courses.

The 2 week brush up courses are the best part I would say. You get alot of hints and up to date exam questions (not available on the database).

OneIn60rule
24th Feb 2009, 09:45
Bristol had some very good notes and CD's. (And always updating questions)
Their brush up course at least 2-3 years ago was rumored excellent.

Their price is very fair.

As for Oxford, I don't know.

1/60

m_cudin
24th Feb 2009, 10:05
Hi, I'm actually studing with the Bristol DL and I can say that the course is very good. I have also a copy of the Oxford books and the main difference is that on Bristol one's you will have only the basic concepts, without loosing time reading stories, while in Oxford ones the topic is more descriptive...I hope this is enough clear...

Good Luck
Marco

Frankly Mr Shankly
24th Feb 2009, 10:48
I did Bristol and they were excellent.

However as has been said before, no-one is really going to have experience of both due to the nature of you choosing one training school.

From what I have read previously, the Oxford lads also speak highly of their course, so I think with the right individual work ethic, all the reputable schools will do a good package to get you through.

I went to Bristol to visit the school before I decided, Alex was very helpful, the material looked good, hey presto, that was me decided, and no regrets at all.

Good luck.

Flying Beancounter
24th Feb 2009, 13:32
The excellent learning material is split into Modules (1 & 2) both using quality written notes and computer CDs which get right to the point.
Both two week Brush-up courses at Cheddar are delivered by enthusiastic and dedicated instructors who really know their stuff. Plus lots of question practice using the latest available question areas.
The Bristol QuestionBank is really excellent and good value. As a result Oxford, Cabair, London Met, etc, etc students use this QB.

The Bristol Groundschool distance learning approach means that it is possible to knock out the ATPL writtens in under 6 months with high averages (in my case over 95%). All thanks to the dedication and professionalism of Alex Whittingham and great his team.:D

If only Bristol GS ran airlines.......

Rugbyears
24th Feb 2009, 13:53
In my opinion, Bristol each time – What Alex and Bez don’t know, is simply not worth knowing. The little bit extra you pay going to Bristol virtually ensures you a pass, as long as you fulfil what is expected of you and there is a lot!:ok:

katua
24th Feb 2009, 13:55
Thank for all of replies,As previously, most of you done at Bristol and make me confirm Bristol is excellent.
However I am waiting who ever done at Oxford or someone heard about this school.

Thanks

flightlevel1985
24th Feb 2009, 13:57
I did the Oxford DL course, PM me with any questions you have and ill do my best to help you :ok:

Halfwayback
24th Feb 2009, 19:27
How great to have a good response to a genuine enquiry without the usual bickering!:O

Overall there is little or no criticism of Bristol and plenty of plaudits.

HWB

redcapflyer
24th Mar 2009, 22:12
Everyone says Bristol is very good for Distant learning, the only thing is if I join them then is it still possible to start the modular flying with OAA? As I am sure that if you want to join OAA you have to do the ATPL's with OAA! Anyone ????:rolleyes:

Cirrus_Clouds
25th Mar 2009, 00:28
If you do any of the exams with Bristol, then you cannot proceed with OAT's modular Waypoint Programme - this is what OAT told me about a year ago.

If you want to do the modular Waypoint Programme with OAT, you also need to have done "Oxford's" groundschool and not any other.

I went with Bristol, who wants to pay an additional £15k on the same training which you can get else where for just as good training, when you could use that money instead on a TR!!! lol :ok:

I hope this helps.

redcapflyer
25th Mar 2009, 21:40
hey Cirrus, thanks for your help. I think your right, why not save the money and spend it on a TR. Have you done a TR?

I'm now thinking of doing the ATPL's with Bristol and then the modular route with CABAIR. :O

Cirrus_Clouds
26th Mar 2009, 11:44
No problem, I would recommend you phone up OAT to confirm this is still so.

I'm studying for my ATPL's at the moment, the TR is down the line eventually.

Make sure you do lots of research, choose either modular or integrated, visit each college and decide what's right for you - this is what I did. No need to rush things right now and make silly mistakes.

I would also recommend you do spreadsheets with "hidden costs", so you clearly work out everything before jumping into this expensive training, so you can see the "true" picture.

e.g. I found out that it actually costs MORE to go to the USA to do hour building for example (after pricing everything together), after licence conversion, accom., food etc etc... than it is here in the UK. I don't have to pay for other aspects, but the weather is the negative aspect here, so it's a case of timing it right.

The ATC/RT in the USA i've heard is basic compared to that of the UK, so best train where you want to fly in the future, to keep the experience for your future training.

tropicalfridge
26th Mar 2009, 20:00
The best thing to do just now, in my opinion and baring in mind the totally hopeless job market, is to use Bristol for the groundschool, then do the rest modular.

An integrated course will spit you out in a year with zero job prospects, regardless of what the sales person has told you. Modular will put you in control, train you just as well, cost you a lot less, and allow you to time completion to meet the upturn in the market. (which will come eventually)

liam548
27th Mar 2009, 15:14
The best thing to do just now, in my opinion and baring in mind the totally hopeless job market, is to use Bristol for the groundschool, then do the rest modular.

An integrated course will spit you out in a year with zero job prospects, regardless of what the sales person has told you. Modular will put you in control, train you just as well, cost you a lot less, and allow you to time completion to meet the upturn in the market. (which will come eventually)

when though, i know it is slightly off topic but (I have already decided on Bristol TBH) do you think we are talking 2years, 3 years, 10 years??

suppose how long is a piece of string comes to mind..

Cirrus_Clouds
27th Mar 2009, 17:41
In short you just have to do it and be optimistic.

Just by completing the ATPL groundschool, will then give you 3 more years to play with, in such time the economy should have improved. IF not, then well at least you haven't spent £20,000 on CPL/ME/IR! ... but you've put yourself in a position to be ready for when times improve. :cool: