PDA

View Full Version : FAA v CAA and Hughes 500 for hire

s1lverback
23rd Feb 2009, 15:58
Hi, I'm new to the forum and also relatively new to rotorcraft.

I am working on my PPL H in the US, training on Hughes 500A. I started some years back at Redhill (EBG) on their 500D.

Question 1: Once I have my FAA ticket, is there any retriction in flying G registered helicopters in UK airspace?

Question 2: All my time is turbine. How many hours are required to satisfy insurance for SFH on Hughes 500? (I will have around 40hrs by the finish at least).

Question 3: Where can I SFH a H500 in South East? ( I am based near Thurrock / North weald / Stapleford)

Question 4: How different is the Gazelle to Hughes (except for fuel burn) and are they more readily available (civilian version) for SFH?

Thanks in advance,
D

HillerBee
23rd Feb 2009, 16:24
No, hope for renting a Turbine with 40 hrs. I'm afraid. Insurance requirements are usually 1000 hrs TT, 100 on type.

s1lverback
23rd Feb 2009, 17:44
Does that have to be 1000 Rotary Time?...I have 400hrs fixed wing.

If that's the case, then I'll have to buy something or just fly in the USA :hmm: until I have the hours - it's half the price there anyhow and mostly no landing fees.

John R81
23rd Feb 2009, 18:32
S1lverback

You might get self-fly turbine time on an EC120 out of Redhill (after type conversion) more readily. PM me if interested.

firebird_uk
23rd Feb 2009, 19:04
I think you will find that the insurance requirements seem to change from organisation to organisation. Whether this is a reflection of the claims history seen by the insurance company, or hard bargaining by the helicopter hirer I do not know.

What I do know is that I was signed off to fly a JetRanger BIII with less than 250 hours TT and 8 hours on type. No safety pilot required, no insurance caveats.

However, I do think you'll get nowhere with 40 hours, an FAA license and the school / hirer having no knowledge of your (undoubted) abilities.

As you may have guessed the BIII was hired to me by the facility that I had flown consistently with. I think this is one of the disadvantages you'll find trying to hire in the UK with all your hours logged in the US.

krypton_john
23rd Feb 2009, 19:06
Presumably you can hire any turbine if you are rated and pay them for a safety pilot.

HillerBee
23rd Feb 2009, 19:58
Fixed wing time doesn't count. With 40 hours and a FAA ticket schools won't even let you rent a piston. You definitely want a 100 hours, then convert to a JAA PPL(H) with a school, and then they might allow you to SFH.

nigelh
24th Feb 2009, 00:00
Out of interest if there was a 206 or 500 available for SFH near London how many people would want to use it ? If it was say £350 or so an hr dry with min 1 hr per day and 2 over weekends ? How would people feel about a £5,000 deposit in case of damage to just cover the excess ? If there were enough people and you could get 200 hrs pa min it may be worth it . Or maybe a syndicate of say 10 people @ 18k each and buy one ?
If enough express interest i would do it :ok:
There must be a reason why nobody wants to do it !!! ( i know you are going to tell me )

krypton_john
24th Feb 2009, 00:06
Sounds like a fantastic idea, Nigel.

As to why not... I think it would just be hard to find 10 pilots with 18k spare at the moment!

Did you check out that auction for a job lot of 10 AB206A's? I understand they are going for around USD$200K (GBP140k) each and are sitting somewhere in Euroland.

chopperpilot47
24th Feb 2009, 03:07
You can fly a G registered helicopter on your FAA licence. There is no requirement to convert it to a CAA or JAA licence.

Whirlygig
24th Feb 2009, 06:30
A good idea Nigel but I suspect that finding ten pilots, with £18k and who all live near enough each other might be tricky but, nearer East Anglia and I couldbe interested.

You can fly a G registered helicopter on your FAA licence.Maybe, but who would let you?

Cheers

Whirls

s1lverback
24th Feb 2009, 07:34
Thanks all for responses.

Nigel, I would certainly be interested in SFH with deposit (focusses mind)and also the purchase option for the right aircraft. My preference would be 500. I only have 2 hrs on the 206, but have had more fun with the 500, hence my search for a training facility with one.

HillerBee, I am too large for an R22 (19st) and the cost differential between R44 and turbine is negligable, hence opting for the turbine route. EBG (Redhill)requirement when I started training there (16hrs - 2005) was 20hrs turbine time. In the US I need to do 30hrs for insurance prior to solo. It makes me wonder then what the purpose of the turbine transition courses are?...most are only 5 hrs. How then does one get 100hrs turbine in UK without spending £50K+?

I have found a couple of sites online and will update if I find anything new, else it is the US. Over there I am paying £300/hr for the Hughes 500 versus nearly £600+ with landing in the UK. If it comes to it, I'll just fly fixed wing here and rotary there. With the cost of flights, etc., it's cheaper for me to have a long weekend and do 4 hours in the US incl flights, accom, spending money (@£2K) than to do 4 hours in the UK £2500 (inc landings) - so the more I fly there, the more i'll save ;)

HillerBee
24th Feb 2009, 08:16
I never suggested you should fly a R22 (even if you would fit in one), and I can fully understand as to why you train on a 500. I'm wondering would they let you rent a 500 in the US with a PPL and only 40-50 hours?

Chopperpilot47; the only reason to convert was for purposes of getting the foot in the door with a UK school. You don't have to convert but in the UK a lot of schools have a grudge against the FAA license. (Totally ridicilous)

nigelh
24th Feb 2009, 09:35
The 10 AB 206.s are in N Z and are worth no more than say half that or less . I bought 5 of them a couple years ago and they cost a fortune to re reg onto the G. I am amazed at what people are hanging out for on their aircraft in a recession and hundred sitting unused inhangars !! I sold my v nice 206 1977 5,000 tt in 2000 for £160k ....it should now be worth £140 tops but i see people asking £200k !!!!! Just wait a month or two and you will pick up a lovely AB ( which should go for a hefty discount compared to bell ) for little over £100k . Combine the SFH with the maintenance using my stockpile of parts and you could be looking at £10k per member and fly for £200 hr dry . Tht would be more interesting ??

s1lverback
24th Feb 2009, 09:46
Popping down to EBG today to have a chat with Ken about their EC120.

Update:

I don't need to switch my FAA for JAA license - see Lasors
Though I may elect to do so later.
I can fly the EC120 at EBG post my PPL following a 10hr course for their insurance (5hrs is the usual type conversion).So I have a UK solution for now. Thanks all

krypton_john
24th Feb 2009, 18:44
Nigel, I have expected prices to drop as you describe but it just doesn't seem to be happening (yet).

Will be interesting to see how things move from here.

Are you talking an AB206B or A in your numbers?

Cheers
JohnO

nigelh
1st Mar 2009, 17:37
I may have found an AB 206 that would fit the bill . It will have new head,and new t/rotors and will need a paint job and new interior but may poss be bought for circa £150 -160 K. Could be v cheap flying so pm me if interested in joining a syndicate to either buy or take a block of hrs .
ps i would keep a share for fun :ok: