PDA

View Full Version : Help Please - Converting an MEIR to an IMC Rating !??

Canada Goose
23rd Feb 2009, 13:54
For the past 3 years since getting my MEIR in April 2005 I have been diligently renewing my IR (and multi rating when not in the sim). However, as I have now pretty much drawn a line under trying to get in with ‘the airlines’ and moving on with my life I now question the logic and cost of renewing my MEIR, which since it was done in the sim last May would have to be done in a twin this year !

I fly 100+ hours per year but never IFR. I do however, regularly encounter IMC as I paradrop and we often need to transit cloud layers or fly in marginal conditions. Now here is the slight twist. During the course of our high altitude drops we must enter controlled airspace and so the IR allows me to do this legally. However, for the purposes of paradropping only, pilots with an IMC rating are allowed into CAS.

So, I was wondering what is involved in converting an MEIR into an IMC rating. Another option would be to convert it to a SEP IR, but from what I gather there are only a handful of these issued each year ! As an aside I’m off to Florida in April so would be in a position to renew my MEIR at a cheaper cost (though thanks to pummelled £ - not so cheap !!) than in the UK. Indeed, this was my initial intention, but I’m now thinking what is the point, and IMC rating is really all I need !

I was going to pose this in Wannabes but on reflection feel that this or ‘Private Flying’ is perhaps a more appropriate forum. Your thoughts please.

Thanks.

CG.

Duchess_Driver
23rd Feb 2009, 15:21
Check PM's

Parson
23rd Feb 2009, 15:31
When I passed my MEIR, I got IMC added - lasts for 2 years I believe. No conversion costs, unless I've missed something.

bingofuel
23rd Feb 2009, 16:29
If you hold a UK issued CPL you have IMC privileges automatically, but not if a JAA CPL

tunalic2
23rd Feb 2009, 17:33
I thought it was UK CAA ATPL gives you IMC not UK CPLIR but am happy to be corrected

flightlevel1985
23rd Feb 2009, 17:34
My UK CPL/IR does not mention anything about IMCR privileges ...

Keygrip
23rd Feb 2009, 17:58
It's true - a UK CAA NATIONAL CPL that does not have the letters JAA stamped on the front has inbuilt IMC privileges. The JAA does not.

As to "converting" the IR-SPA-ME (multi I/R) to IR-SPA-SE (SEP I/R), it's all the same creature - the multi is valid on the single, but not vice versa.

If you have to renew/revalidate in an aircraft then you are looking at just the price difference between an MEP rental and an SEP rental. £100? $100 (about £60?) if you go with your USA option - though no landing fees or aproach fees.

If your I/R is still current, perhaps you could apply for an IMC rating, through the usual channels of the CAA, and have that issued for 25 months. When EASA comes along and kills it off, then renew the I/R to full strength?

You have six years from date of last flight test to renew your UK issued JAA I/R without any additional hassles....so just renew sporadically.

Canada Goose
25th Feb 2009, 08:37
Thanks for all your posts, especially Keygrip. Unfortunately I have a JAA CPL so don't automatically have a default IMC !

Does anybody have any idea roughly when the IMC may be killed off ?

Cheers,
CG.

pipertommy
25th Feb 2009, 08:54
Hi,
Quick question- I completed my initial ME/IR test May 2007, relavidated May 2008( IN SIM). If I leave a 12 month gap and complete a renewal in say May 2010 (3 years since initial/aircraft based test) will it still be the same "check style test/renewal" or the full on IRT??

Thanks
PT

nick14
25th Feb 2009, 10:17
My JAA licence has IMC exempt stamped in it.

Nick

TurboJ
25th Feb 2009, 17:55
Its said the IMC rating has a 4yr reprieve -

a lot can happen in 4yrs -

it was also mentioned about splitting the IR into basic and advanced - the basic being the equivalent of an IMC rating

TJ

Whopity
25th Feb 2009, 19:18
My UK CPL/IR does not mention anything about IMCR privileges ..Licence privileges are given in the ANO Schedule 8!Privileges:
(1) The holder of a Commercial Pilot’s Licence (Aeroplanes) shall be entitled to exercise the privileges of a United Kingdom Private Pilot’s Licence (Aeroplanes) which includes an instrument meteorological conditions rating (aeroplanes)Additionally the UK CPL does not contain the limitations that need an IMC rating to get around!

My JAA licence has IMC exempt stamped in it. Thats about the most meaningless stamp I have come across. The licence is subject to the conditions and restrictions specified in paragraph 1.175 of Section 1 of JAR–FCL 1.

Chucking a ME IR away is rather silly after the initial investment. Just renew it as SE. Make sure you don't let it lapse more than 7 years or the exams evaporate. You can go back to ME at any time by doing a renewal test on a ME. No conversion its just a signature on the revalidation page.

ewsd02
26th Feb 2009, 07:34
If you can find the examiner who gave you the IR, he/she might sign your IMC form for you if he remembers you. When I passed the IR I also presented him with an IMC form and have was happy to sign it, but that was the same day as the test. The IMC is valid for 25months each time, and once on your licence, can be revalidated automatically by the examiner each time you do an IR test.

Whopity
26th Feb 2009, 13:38
As I see it no signature is necessary, simply complete the application form http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG1125FF.pdf apply for the exemption in Section 6 and pay for the issue of the rating. The CAA should issue it based upon the date of the last IR renewal.

BEagle
28th Feb 2009, 07:07
The IMC is valid for 25months each time, and once on your licence, can be revalidated automatically by the examiner each time you do an IR test.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Internet/zxzxz.jpg

This no longer applies to holders of multi-pilot IR(A)s, thanks to the CAA.

When I asked them "Why did it change", they mumbled something about "Limited panel UPs are not tested during a multi-pilot IR test".

"And how about the UK ATPL(A) holder who never needs to revalidate an IMC rating?".

"Ahh....errrm, err, well.....hmmm.....nice weather today, isn't it?"

In other words, an ill thought-out change which hadn't even been subjected to industry consultation, let alone a regulatory impact assessment, being a change to national law.........:hmm: