PDA

View Full Version : General Aviation Landscape in South East Asia

Potatoe
23rd Feb 2009, 09:08
I am a non pilot and was wondering why the General Aviation market in South East Asia is a bit quiet. I think Hong Hong has a larger share of the GA market in Far East and I am not sure if the wealth of nations in SEA got to do with the activities level of GA.

As said earlier, I am not pilot and please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks!

Potatoe
24th Feb 2009, 03:02
I am actually writing this thread for a feasible study for my academic report for developing and operating a GA flight company in SEA.

flatfilea4
25th Feb 2009, 10:44
There is no G/A market in HK - the HK Aviation club operates mainly on Sat, Sun, and Public Holidays from Sek Kong - the rest of the time the PLA uses the airfield. I am not aware of a single locally based g/a flight outside of HK airspace for years. Business aviation is blooming in HK though.

Very rare to have G/A arrive/depart HKIA - only at aerospace show time or the occasional (very, like years between) big trip visitor. Very high HK gov insurance requirements would put many off.

I think that Macau has a Cirrus based there but US reg.

Philippines has a lot of training - not sure about g/a point to point operations but I am assured that they are possible and without difficulty.

Thailand has a small g/a community with some trying hard to develop it more. G/A point to point flights can be made easily but in/out flights require approvals from the DCA. Light sport aviation building well.

Malaysia and Indonesia?? But I hear that both have quite a bit of g/a - last visit to Phuket saw 4 Malaysian g/a parked.

I fly g/a in Thailand and Philippines, work HK aviation.

Cheers