PDA

View Full Version : Computer does not "see" digital camera

Rwy in Sight
22nd Feb 2009, 07:44
I was trying to connect my Nikon digital camera with my laptop but it does not work. The usb port works fine and it seems the computer does not see the camera. Any ideas how to correct it?

Many thanks in advance.

Rwy in Sight

dazdaz
22nd Feb 2009, 08:39
Have you loaded the software/driver cd that came with the camera?
Or you could try inserting the camera memory card into the laptop multiple card reader slot, if card reader slots are fitted to your laptop.Doing this with xp the camera wizard program starts up.

Rainboe
22nd Feb 2009, 09:01
Suggest you completely uninstall whatever program may have been installed, check latest programs added to the Start/Programs list, and check Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. Start again, install camera software, then attach camera and turn it on (you did turn the camera on when attached, didn't you?). If that still fails, go buy a USB card reader for the appropriate card- that is usually failsafe.......and read the instructions!

BOAC
22nd Feb 2009, 09:06
My Nikon requires the camera to be switched on BEFORE connecting

Bushfiva
22nd Feb 2009, 09:12
Without knowing which Nikon it is, and whether it works with other computers, and whether it has ever worked, I'd suggest checking the Nikon's menu to see whether it is set to MSC or PTP.

green granite
22nd Feb 2009, 09:26
Try the 'windows key' +E is it shown as a drive?

capewrath
22nd Feb 2009, 10:00
Don't know your OS, but this is based on XP:-

Check that you have wiaacmgr.exe (that is the picture aquisition wizard - [when opened it can call itself Scanner and Camera wizard]).
It should be in C:/ Windows/ System 32 folder.

When you connect any camera to a USB port for the first time Windows should tell you it has has found new hardware and automatically prepare for it to be used.

Just a chance the solution here is simple - make sure your camera is set to playback and switch it on when plugged in.

I have several cameras one of which is a Nikon and have no bother.
Because I have a few different cameras with different memory cards I use a multi card reader to avoid numerous cables lying about.

Other thing you might try is to use a different USB port. I have had hardware work in one port, but not another, but don't know why.

BTW, I never install the software that comes with cameras, but simply use XP camera wizard to download pics and an independent editor to fiddle about with them.

If you install the camera software to download pics it will simply reside in the same folder as the OS tool and you'll be offered a choice of what to use. Therefore if the OS is not automatically appearing then the camera software may not either or even not install.

capewrath
22nd Feb 2009, 10:05
Bushfiva wrote:-

"Without knowing which Nikon it is, and whether it works with other computers, and whether it has ever worked, I'd suggest checking the Nikon's menu to see whether it is set to MSC or PTP."

Yes - I forgot mention that too.
Since I only use a card reader now that camera setting does not matter to me, but if the camera is directly connected to the pc then it is vital.

Rwy in Sight
22nd Feb 2009, 20:04
Thank you fellow ppruners.

The problem did solve itself. I think the issue was about missing the memory card, thus the camera memory was "invisible" to the laptop.

I put the card back I copied the pictures and it worked.

Thanks again.

Rwy in Sight