PDA

View Full Version : Army Air Corps....Advice please!!!

Aaronhewit1980
20th Feb 2009, 18:03
Firstly I hope I haven't replicated any threads already on here ref this subject but had a trawl and couldn't find much about it. Secondly, can't believe I've been a member of PPRune for ages but never posted, i suppose it proves what a wealth of knowledge is already here. I am currently serving with the Royal Marines and have huge aspirations of becoming a helo pilot. At 29 yrs old I have missed the boat on Fleet Air Arm and the RAF option left with the titantic, (i think they cut off at 12 these days) but alas I hadn't realised that the AAC still allowed a)up to thirty and B) NCO Pilots. Having gathered the information I need to move forward, I am concerned that my "bootie" background may not conform to what the AAC is after. I do, however, match all the required standards otherwise stated in the paperwork. I've tried to get hold of someone at Middle Wallop but no answers as yet (everyone's allowed leave) so in the mean time I thought, why not utilize the knowledge here. Quite literally any advice or ideas, hugely welcome and appreciated. Jock

The Red Knight
20th Feb 2009, 20:36
Check PM's.

Dengue_Dude
20th Feb 2009, 20:50
Best of luck to you!

To every 'rule' there's often an exception, hopefully you'll get what you want.

Faithless
20th Feb 2009, 21:03
Posting on here may help :ok:

Army Rumour Service > > Forums > > Boards by Arm / Service (roughly) > > Aviation (http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewforum/f=24.html)

Hot 'n' High
20th Feb 2009, 21:07
When I was a serving NCO, a mate of mine did as you planned. He made it!

Best of luck to you too! Go for it if you can!

Blind Bob
20th Feb 2009, 21:28
I put on my wings a month before I was 32.

I got lots of 'brownie points' at my selection for being a glider pilot, and if you have the basic airmanship skills before the course it can take some of the pressure off.

You can then keep up with the youngsters.

Go for it. I wish you all the best. BB.:8

Aaronhewit1980
20th Feb 2009, 22:01
Cheers guys, at least I can be confident I'm not completely re-shaping the mould. The next week or so should show some decent forward progress so fingers crossed all round. many thanks for the advice and any additional is greatly recieved.

Gnd
21st Feb 2009, 12:03
The AAC has loads of RM, they are very good on the whole and bring much to the party. Go for it and good luck.

HEDP
21st Feb 2009, 15:46
Would you believe the reason you wouldn't get an answer from Wallop last week was that the guy in question who deals with recruiting and transfers was attending a transfer 'fair' in Colchester..............

HEDP

Aaronhewit1980
21st Feb 2009, 16:41
Thanks HEDP, yeah i was at the fair and met an AAC Captain, the SPSO I believe, as i understand it I am trying to get in touch with SO2 Pilot Selection, as spoken about in previous thread but thanks for the heads up. Aaron

wortom
5th Mar 2009, 18:07
As a RM NCO you would be very welcome in the AAC and your age is unlikely to be a problem. You are right that it is SO2 Selection that you need to speak to, an affable silver haired retired officer who runs all the selection boards and administers you going to OASC. You might have to be a bit canny about cap badge issues, will the RM let you do the Army pilot course as a RM or will you have to transfer to the AAC in order to do the course? I would recommend trying to a remain a RM until you get your wings, at that point you would probably have to transfer to the AAC. If you transfer before wings and you fail the course you may find yourself in a new life as an AAC groundie - probably not what you are after. If you cannot get hold of SO2 Selection try to find SO2 Flying Training in SAAvn. Cannot remember any numbers I'm afraid. Good luck.:)