PDA

View Full Version : FAA ATP vs JAA ATPL

londonPilot
20th Feb 2009, 12:32
Hi , my name is David I am 29 and live in London.

I started flying in early 2006. I've built up some complex single hours, done an IMC , a bit of flying round europe etc.

in the last year I managed to get a Single engine turbine rating on a Cessna Caravan and am doing my PDRC (Parachute Drop Rating Certificate). I also did my MEP.

I am building Turbine hours while parachute dropping.

Last week I passed my FAA CPL/IR exams (lasergrade) which now entitles me to do the FAA CPL/IR training and work towards a frozen ATP.

I really want to do the JAA syllabus as well ; but there is one sticking point. I am happy to study at home during the evening and weekends and classes during those times. I cannot and will not take 4-6 weeks off of work to do brush ups which are required.

I simply want to do my course in the evenings and weekends and then take time of to do the modules (3 probably for me)

This is the main reason a low (300 hour) pilot beginning their journey towards commercial job is struggling.

Anyway thought this thread would be useful as a resource. I've seen lots of Negative threads on flying, jobs etc.

Flying needs to be a Passion not a burden, you can never stop learning and you can never stop knocking on doors. Unfortunately it is expensive.
for all you guys who have been through the mill and got the bill

DO SOMETHING WITH IT !

No airline will take you seriously unless you show determination.

If anyone has any bright ideas , or wants to make a shed load of cash. Offer evening classes for JAA ATPL theory .

Happy Landings

David

nick14
20th Feb 2009, 12:38
Im pretty sure that the ground school instruction has to be given by approved instructors, which would mean asking around at a FTO for someone willing. Try OAA I know of one instructor who used to do extra for a fiver each.

Nick

Richie82
20th Feb 2009, 18:24
It really annoys me the way they force you to attend an "approved brush up". I much prefer to use my leave from work to go and do something nice, not sit in a classroom.

Anyone with a brain in their head can figure out the ATPL stuff just from the books, the brush up I attended last month taught me absolutely nothing that I didn't already know.

Whirlygig
20th Feb 2009, 19:37
JAA rules are such that you need to enrol with an approved groundschool provider AND that your studies encompass a prerequiste number of hours, a number of which need to be in a classroom environment. That's just how it is.

However, whilst Bristol (good school that they are) have a system whereby you spend two weeks for brush up courses, other schools may have more flexible arrnagements. By sitting the exams in smaller modules, you could break up the number of days off but time off work will still need to be taken. This will, however, give you less leeway in the number of sittings since all exams must be passed in six sittings but maybe a higher chance of passing since there is less pressure at each sitting.

Call some schools and disuss your requirements.

Cheers

Whirls