PDA

View Full Version : Thomson-Questions, comments, bouquets & brickbats (Merged)

rm2242
20th Feb 2009, 12:24
Hi all

Booked to fly the TOM4242 on 23rd June 2009 (returning 4243 2 weeks later) from Gatwick to Skiathos. Originally the flight times suggested a stopover at Thessaloniki on the way home, so im guessing B738 equipment (i.e. not a 757 which does it non-stop, and no ex-FCA A320's based at Gatwick for S'09).

Now when i try and book the same holiday, the flight time on the way home is about an hour shorter.

So my question is - has the equipment been upgraded to a B757???

Also, used to have access to the TOM flight schedules on the ANA cargo website, but this no longer seems to hold them. Would love another source if anyone knows....

Regards

rm2242

anengineer
6th May 2009, 15:58
I just tried adding in-flight meals to my holiday flight, (having booked the holiday weeks ago but not choosing meals at that time). Two of the three in our party want meals, the other one doesn't. Thomson have just told me that either we all have meals - or none, giving me some bizarre explanation about the meals all being located at one end of the aircraft (well, I didn't think the Captain kept them under his seat !).

I can't think of any justifiable reason for them to refuse to take meal orders for only part of our party. It smacks of rip-off tactics to me.

Are there any genuine reasons why this would be so ?

G-BPED
6th May 2009, 17:19
I think this is due to the fact that all passengers that are having meals will be seated in one part of the aircraft to make the meals service easier.

The system may only be able to cope with Meal or No Meal for an entire party and not individuals in the party because of the seating arrangements.

Of course I stand to be corrected.

Regards,

G-BPED

sagered
6th May 2009, 18:50
G-BPED You are correct, last time I flew with Thomson that was the case, all passengers with meals were seated together on the plane.

Sage

Saintsman
6th May 2009, 20:56
Similarly with excess baggage. It was either 6 of us pay or none at all. That was something like £90. Now I'll make sure I'm under the limit.

anengineer
6th May 2009, 22:14
Thanks for the replies. It seems rather a silly practice to me. However, I coughed up and paid for all three of us - the 'non eater' can still have nothing - and I can have double :ok:

A2QFI
7th May 2009, 05:55
Eating two airline meals voluntarily! That is true desparation!

Envoy320
7th May 2009, 08:32
aircraft meals for passengers are ticketed.....the lead passenger saying yes or no to a meal generates a reference for the whole party.

if everyone chose what they wanted in every group of passengers on a plane - it would never work.

WHBM
7th May 2009, 13:09
if everyone chose what they wanted in every group of passengers on a plane - it would never work.
Hmmm ... I would guess you've never worked for a major scheduled carrier. :)

Envoy320
7th May 2009, 13:37
WHBM - the meal or no meal option, when pre-booked, is for charter operations.....an altogether different "type" of operationand flight.

It would not work.

I believe the thread was in erlation to a Thomson holiday....charter carrier.

al446
7th May 2009, 14:05
and I can have double http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

So you might even end up with almost a decent quantity.

Dropline
7th May 2009, 16:12
Why would anyone pay extra for an airline meal???

Michael SWS
7th May 2009, 17:58
Why would anyone pay extra for an airline meal???Indeed. You can pick up a much tastier (and more nutritious) take-away meal from Pret or Eat in the departure lounge for about the same price or less.

Gulfstreamaviator
8th May 2009, 14:11
How stupid can aviation be...

All those who want to eat must sit together.

All those who drink red wine must sit together, and beer drinkers must sit in back three rows, to be near the toilet.

Have we all gone mad.?

Dont tell MOL.?

jetset lady
10th May 2009, 21:37
Not that simple Gulfstreamaviator! The flights in question are with Thomson. Take their normal 757 aircraft. That's 235 seats, unless it's changed, and provisionally 235 passengers. Say,for example, that around half of those passengers have decided to book an inflight meal, thats 117 passengers to find from the list, assuming that none have swapped seats.

Now what is going to be quicker? Seating those 117 people in the same section of the aircraft or scattering them about all over the place and having to look for them one by one? I was priviledged enough to be working for Britannia, as it still was back then, when the joys of "Your Holiday, Your Choice" first came into being. During those first few days, passengers that had ordered a meal were scattered about the cabin, while the system glitches were worked out. It was, frankly, a b****y nightmare! Those that hadn't chosen to eat had to wait while we served the meals before they could get a drink, due to the meal carts being in the aisle, while the poor souls at the back of the aircraft that had paid for meals, were sat for ages waiting for them and then being offered tea and coffee before they'd even got the lids off the starters. In the meantime, those at the front were stuck with empty trays in front of them for far longer than should have been neccessary.

By grouping the passengers together, those that are eating should get their meals promptly, whilst those that have chosen not to eat, are able to have their drinks and snacks from the bar in the meantime. Much simpler, I think you'll agree, for everyone concerned.

As for suggesting that those drinking beer should be separated from those drinking wines etc? It's not quite comparable, seeing as the bars contain a mix of drinks...but then again, maybe it's not the same in your Gulfstream world! :rolleyes:

anengineer,

I hope this gives you some idea of why the seating is arranged as it is.

Jsl

P.S. I have to admit to not having worked for Britannia/Thomson for some years now so I apologise to all if things are done differently now or if I have remembered anything incorrectly! :O

13 please
12th May 2009, 09:24
Great explanation jetset lady..!

I always wonder why some people when they don't understand something just completely condemn it, without just asking politely,

"why..?"

denachtenmai
14th May 2009, 15:44
We are booked to go on TOM 030 to Montego Bay in June, I am assuming that it's operated by a Thomson 763, does anyone have any idea of the best seats to go for?
I have tried seatguru but Thomson Airways doesn't come up, I would like to get an exit seat as my wife had a total knee replacement in December:ouch:
Regards, Den.

eliptic
14th May 2009, 15:59
exit seat as my wife had a total knee replacement in Decemberhttp://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/shiner.gif

:= against regulations

Lightning5
14th May 2009, 16:02
Try 08701900737. This is Thomson airways and you can buy extra leg room seats, mainly at the overwing exits. Or Premier seats if you have lots of "dosh". However seat pitch has been increased to 32 in. and they are not to bad. Hope this helps.

**777lover**
14th May 2009, 19:06
You'll be on a 757.

denachtenmai
16th May 2009, 13:35
thanks Lightning 5 will give it a try:ok:
regards, Den.

strid
18th May 2009, 07:07
Hello,

I fly from Man on 29th May to Sharm El Sheikh.
Flight Code TOM 576 @ 09:00.

What aircraft type please.

Thanks

StoneyBridge Radar
18th May 2009, 07:13
I fly from Man on 29th May to Sharm El Sheikh.
Flight Code TOM 576 @ 09:00.

What aircraft type please.

SSH FRI 09:00 16:35 FRI 75W TOM576 weekly 22/05/2009 - 18/09/2009

strid
18th May 2009, 07:19
Thanks for a swift reply - 757 nice, what does the W denote?

busz
18th May 2009, 08:58
With winglets methinks.......

MUFC_fan
18th May 2009, 09:24
Do you know what the Monday schedule is throughout the summer? Would LOVE a 767 simply for the IFE but I think it will be a 757, if so I hope the 75W!:ok:

Thanks

oldart
18th May 2009, 09:49
StoneyBridge Radar
Is there still a site where you can find the seasons schedules? I am flying back from Bridgetown in November on a P&O charter, TOM 47. Could this be a 763 aircraft?
Cheers for any info.

Envoy320
18th May 2009, 09:56
There isnt a lot else it could be really with Thomson....

oldart
18th May 2009, 10:02
Understood.:)

J-Man
19th May 2009, 13:42
Ive noticed ive had my post deleted YET AGAIN for placing the website to the schedules. Is there anything you can do on here? :ugh:

TightSlot
19th May 2009, 18:06
Ive noticed ive had my post deleted YET AGAIN for placing the website to the schedules. Is there anything you can do on here?
I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. I haven't deleted any of your posts. Your personal posting history does not show any deletions. May I ask you to explain further please?

oldart
21st May 2009, 08:07
J Man
Are you going to try again? I would be interested in using that web site.:)

bear1971
4th Jun 2009, 12:25
Hi Everyone,

I don't know if this question is answerable but we're flying on the above flight for our honeymoon and i wondered if anyone knew or knows where I can find details of the a/c type we will be on?

Thanks

Bear

aidoair
4th Jun 2009, 13:04
This flight will be operated by a B757 over the summer. It could be operated by either an ex Thomsonfly aircraft or an ex First Choice airways aircraft, but this is unknown until almost the day of departure and shouldn't make any difference to the service, other than having different seats between the two ex fleets.
The majority of the flights so far have been operated by ex FCA planes so these are more likely on this route.

Hope this helps . . . :ok:

bear1971
4th Jun 2009, 14:03
Thanks for that

For some reason I thought it would be a 767 - only as we went 3 years ago with Thomson on one.

I don't think I'm the brightest spark in this arena though :O

Thanks

Bear

geordiejet
4th Jun 2009, 18:50
Hi. Just looking for a bit of advice. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post.

Booked a last minute flight NCL-SFB this Sunday and it's too late to reserve seats on the plane. Apparently all of the window seats are "not bookable" at this time, but the girl on the phone said this may be due to the short notice.

Does anyone know - are seats really allocated on a "first come, first served" basis at check in (as stated on the website), or are all the seats pre-allocated long before the flight?

I'm travelling with a nervous partner, who will freak at the idea of sitting in the mid section. Plus, I like a view!

We're debating going real early to check in, but if all the seats are taken, then we may as well not rush. Any advice?

Thanks.
GJ

WATABENCH
4th Jun 2009, 18:58
Pax that have pre-booked seats together are sent through from airline to handling agent(s-air or whoever) any seats left are done on first come basis usually, I would check in early as poss and advise the check-in agent that your a nervous pax. The only other thing to do would be ring the handling agent the night before, names are usually put in 12-24 hours before flight and they could possibly help you.

geordiejet
4th Jun 2009, 20:07
Hey, thanks for your reply. ANyone know who handles TOM at Newcastle?

ImPlaneCrazy
4th Jun 2009, 20:15
Thomson pre-allocate all passengers that have either paid for 'Select your seat' or 'Together Seating'. Obviously with the select your seat option, the pax choose their own seats but as far as I can remember Thomson usually preseat 'together seating' passengers in windows.

As for passengers that haven't paid for these I believe that seats are allocated at check in, and remember extra leg room seats probably won't have sold out so you might be able to get those at a cost of £25 each?

Hope that helps! :ok:

ReadyToGo
4th Jun 2009, 20:53
Swissport handles Thomson at NCL

RTG!

plaincrazy
4th Jun 2009, 21:14
Thomson also allocated seats to pax who have not paid for meals, groups travelling with infants and children, so you may find even if you get there early you might not have alot to choose from.

As WATABENCH said advise the check in agent that you have a nervous pax and im sure they will do there best to help.

You may be able to buy extra leg room aslong as these are not located next to the emergency exits doors as Thomson will not sit nervous pax right next to the doors.

PC

BYALPHAINDIA
5th Jun 2009, 01:45
Only 763'S ON SSH at the moment.

Think there's only 1/2 flights to TBA a week.

Have A Nice Time.

UniFoxOs
5th Jun 2009, 07:58
And if you are adventurous try the quad-biking through the Sinai desert. Great experience.

Cheers
UFO

geordiejet
5th Jun 2009, 09:01
Hi guys, I've made some progress with Thomson - they actually allowed me to select a window seat - seats 18F/G (for £60 extra! - but worth it in this case I feel).

Is the 767 configured 2-3-2 on TOM?

TSR2
5th Jun 2009, 09:43
Only 763'S ON SSH at the moment

The Friday Thomson flight to SSH is a B752.

clipstone1
5th Jun 2009, 12:54
NCL/SFB is normally a former FCA config 763 (which positions in from GLA) which means its 2-3-2. Former Thomsonfly 763s are 2-4-2 but this route appears to be a former FCA aircraft planned.

ddanny04
5th Jun 2009, 14:32
hi im flying to BjV on the 23 july and the flight number is TOM 886 but on the booking form it does not tell me what aircraft ill be on.. does anyone have any idea ?

TSR2
5th Jun 2009, 15:30
TOM886 is listed to be operated by a B763 aircraft.

wanderingdon
11th Jul 2009, 13:47
Flying out of bournemouth to Rhodes on wed 19 august. Assuming its on one of their 733's.

Any ideas of legroom and whether its def a 733.

Cheers

Airbus Girl
11th Jul 2009, 21:05
ddanny, I'd be very surprised if it was a B767 operating into Bodrum. I don't know which airport you are flying from but usually would be B757 or A320.

Cooleo
26th Jul 2009, 14:36
Whats the premium cabin like on Thomson? I've booked a flight for August 14th and want to know what i'm getting for my money! :). Any idea of food/drink as well? The page on their website is very basic about premium..

Thanks

TFlyguy
26th Jul 2009, 18:17
The config is 2-3-2 with 36" of leg room and individual PTV's

If you are flying long-haul theres is pre-take off fizz, comp drinks throughout, 3 choices of hot meal and AVOD

scudpilot
26th Jul 2009, 18:34
flew them to Montego Bay back in Feb... well worth it imho!

( I am 6'2 and a little on the heavy side, so the legroom made a huge difference to me!)

jongeman
9th Nov 2009, 16:33
Do any of our friends at TOM have any idea what MAN - RAK is due to be operated with on Mondays and Fridays in February? I'm guessing that with such a diverse fleet post FCA merger, it could very well be anything....?

sam1993
9th Nov 2009, 17:03
Mondays are down to be operated by an Airbus A320 whilst the Friday flight is listed as a Boeing 737-800

hope this helps! :ok:
Sam

WATABENCH
9th Nov 2009, 21:32
Bit of a long shot, but does anybody know if the LGW-MLE this sunday coming 15/11 is on a TOM a/c or ex FCA? departs about 7pm i believe.

Captain Capstan
9th Nov 2009, 22:35
Should be ex FCA

RJS1987
19th Aug 2010, 15:50
Hi All,

I am going to Florida (Sandford) in September flying with Thomson and I have chosen the premium seats. Has anyone got any views or experiances of this. Is it worth it? What should I expect?

Thanks,
RJS

fincastle84
19th Aug 2010, 16:42
It looks ok, please see below.

Thomson Fly Reviews | Airline Reviews | Review Centre (http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews98026.html)

OltonPete
13th Mar 2011, 11:06
As the Thomson summer aircraft allocation is still not online could someone tell me what aircraft to expect of BHX-RHO 27/07/11?

I have booked Thomas Cook but they actually use Thomson on a Wednesday.

Previous years it has been a 757 but the long-haul 763 now does short-haul on a Wednesday, which in the past has been for the Luxor but with the recent troubles I would be amazed if it goes there.

Also does anyone know if the high-density 763 is coming to BHX this year to do the Med flights?

Pete

devon_guy
2nd May 2011, 18:50
Hi,

I'm shortly to fly with Thomsons to Tenerife and have booked extra legroom seats on their A320. Does anyone know what the seat pitch is for those seats please?

Dazbo5
3rd May 2011, 22:11
You can't really give a seat pitch value on extra legroom seats as there's nothing to measure to in front of the seat on many rows. It also depends on which extra legroom seat you look at. The ones at the front, behind the screen give you a little more room but with having the screen in front, you can't stretch your legs out. The over-wing exits give you more room as you have the space in front as well as room under the seat to stretch out in to, probably 45 inches of seat pitch.

aer lingus
10th May 2011, 17:04
Airline seat guide website just gives 28'' for shorthaul in Y class. Long haul is 33'' in Y and 37'' in PY. Hope this helps.