PDA

View Full Version : Fire Heli help in Greece - Ionian Islands

spice island
20th Feb 2009, 02:31
Could anyone offer any help on finding flying work in the Ionian Islands of Greece, in the realms of extinguishing fires that often rage during the hot summer months. I have seen helis fly in with the underslung facility to help stop the fires. In addition commuter flights or pleasure flights are high on the list in these lovely islands but it is knowing who to contact. :confused:
I have my commercial licence and over 300 hours, with time spent on Jetranger, R44 and Gazelle.
Looking for life outside the rat race!

R.OCKAPE
20th Feb 2009, 04:40
You might want to try for a co-pilot position first and then work up from there.

whoateallthepies
20th Feb 2009, 05:12
That question gave me the best laugh of the morning! http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m412/omanjohn/2637784011.jpg

spencer17
20th Feb 2009, 11:09
With only 300 hours I wouldn't even think about fire fighting.:=
Did you do suicide attempts before ?

Martin Barclay
20th Feb 2009, 11:37
As a pilot in a similar position and with an interest in the same area I have to agree that fire fighting is out of the question. Most of the fire fighting that I have seen in the Ionian islands tends to be done with fixed wing, crop dusters for small fires and big water bombers for the extensive fires. You need loads of hours and experience for fire fighting as alluded to earlier in the thread.

The Greek authorities are reluctant to encourage single engine operation due to the amount of time you spend over the water. This makes the costs prohibitive for tourist business.

Feel free to PM me as I have looked into this in some detail already.

Martin.

Heliringer
20th Feb 2009, 11:59
300 Hours, mate you are really in demand. Don't listen to what they say on here.:ok:

Big Fella your are a dreamer, 300 Hours and chasing fires. You have no idea.:ugh: Have a look at you tube fire fighting and if you think you can do it with 300 hours, then I should retire.
Anyone got next weeks lottery numbers?
Cheers
Ringer

handbag
20th Feb 2009, 13:40
Now fire observing, that is a different story. You may be able to get a 100% refund on any flight time used for fire spotting on some of the islands.

MartinCh
20th Feb 2009, 14:00
'fire spotting'.
Now that's reasonable and helpful way of getting extra hours under belt.
Though not sure they'd rather pay heli pilot than fixed wing one.

fayslag
20th Feb 2009, 14:11
Go easy guys, remember you weren't all born with a CPL/ATPL were you? Spice Island - your enthusiasm is commendable, don't get too disheartened by some of the negative posts mate.

whoateallthepies
21st Feb 2009, 07:33
Spice
Sorry to laugh. I agree with Fay and I hope you find an outlet that lets you escape from the rat race and fly for a living. Good luck. http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m412/omanjohn/2637784011.jpg

spice island
21st Feb 2009, 19:59
Well thanks to those guys who have given the genuine response hoped for, the others, well say no more that's so typically expected as the response and reason for wanting to leave the uk, DICKS. After all this is shallow minded UK and some of you guys have just confirmed it. Think hard as you may want to stand corrected.!! Cheers to the guys who have spoken admirably, great respect, In actual fact the hours are 800, the post was incorrect if that makes any difference to those air rage riders out there................:8
I would love to ride as a co pilot, and talk privatley to anyone who has the interest as I do to move forward, I don't have to do this for money just as a personal goal and help for those who need it. Those giving negative comments - get a life you are wasting all of our time and you would prob
ably want a job from me in the furture anyway !!! Engage tongue and fingures before typng.....!Have a good day.....

alpineflyers
21st Feb 2009, 22:46
Hey Spice Island, apparently there is a chance as a co-pilot on twins doing fire fighting in Spain. If you speak Spanish, send me a PM

spinwing
22nd Feb 2009, 05:11
Mmmmm ....

Spice ... old darling .... I have quietly watched this thread since you started it as I was not too sure whether it was a "piss take" or not.

As I suspected ..... either you have not a clue what is required to undertake "real" commercial operations or you seem from your last post to have a somewhat bloated opinion of yourself.

Certainly it would seem you only really want to hear something positive that aligns with your wishes re the "fire fighting" tasks ... and your opinion that the naysayers "will probably want a job from you in the future" is sheer arrogance.

The reality is ... that at your experience level you really don't have any idea what you don't know!

Fire Fighting is DANGEROUS not only to yourself but also others in the area and no operator in their right mind will let you near that kind of op without you proving you "know your ****".

Perhaps the knowledgeable here were a bit caustic in the advice initially given but I suspect that they too could not believe the naivety of your post ... do not castigate them ... it is those experienced heads that you NEED to pass on to you the "savvy" of survival in the heli industry DO NOT PISS THEM OFF.

Good Luck :E

R.OCKAPE
22nd Feb 2009, 06:29
spinwing

Why are you trying to wind the guy up?

No need for such arrogance in your posts.
Fire fighting requires far less skill and is far less dangerous than precision long lining in a SE helicopter.
If you say otherwise you are only trying to big note yourself or intimidate other pilots to ensure your own job security.
The guy has made an genuine enquiry from people he respects highly enough to ask their opinion about getting a start in the fire fighting industry I don't see where he states he wants to command a medium or heavy to do so
I respectfully suggest if you can't be more civilised here then go to JH where insults abuse and arrogance is the norm .. with one difference, a lot of them are funny

Whirlygig
22nd Feb 2009, 08:12
R.Ockape, nothing arrogant in spinwing's post - I thought it was rather avuncular. and certainly more benevolent than calling other posters, "Dicks"? :}

However, it does beg the question; if you need fire-fighting experience to get a job fire-figting, how do you get the first job?

Cheers

Whirls

spencer17
22nd Feb 2009, 08:16
Hey Spice,
calm down mate. With more than 18.000 hours including fire fighting, mountain, arctic, HEMS etc. etc. I known what I'm talking about.

1st: you need a lot of experience on bigger machines
2nd: at least 2000, better 3000 hours with lots of external load
3rd: fine judgment of your own capabilities

Grow in the business and be patient. I lost some friends because of their overconfidence in their capabilities. Try to become an old pilot some time. The bold ones don't make it.

@R.OCKAPE: <<Fire fighting requires far less skill and is far less dangerous than precision long lining in a SE helicopter.>> You're kidding :ugh:
It requires different skills than longlining.
And for the danger.
-What's about: plumes of hot air,
-density altitudes far away from normal,
-smoke and reduced visibility,
-coordination with other aircraft,
-hovering over water.
To me it seems you did not a lot of fire fighting, sorry.

spinwing
22nd Feb 2009, 09:24
Mmmmm ...

....... "how do you get the first job?"

Whirls .... Is that not the great conundrum of the Heli Industry?

The answer as always is ...

Get lucky.
Know someone.
All of the above!

:ok:

This aint Jim Beam
22nd Feb 2009, 20:24
When i was in Canada the magic number was 600 hrs.
Those were the minimums for Fire Service work.
Didnt need multi engine or thousands of hours of long line.
Most guys and gals i worked with had been hired with a basic licence, did a mountain course then some forestry work until they got the minimums for fires.
That was 10 years ago though, maybe its a lot harder to fly 206s and Astars now....

spice island
23rd Feb 2009, 19:49
Well Thanks to JimBeam, Martin, Fayslag, Alpine Flyers, Spencer17, Spinwing and R.Ockape for your positive replies, I will research further.
I was some what dissapointed, by some of the replies hence my abrupt response, apologies if it offended. We must remember how we all started and have a direction towards our future goals, help and positive comments from fellow pilots is respected, I'm sure nobody would expect to be laughed at if they asked the same question at the local flying club, as surely some have!! :=
With regards to hours, I have known pilots some with thousands of hours and killed by reckless flying/taking to many risks and some with few hours destined to go far, we all deserve a chance, There is never a wrong question to ask, it's having the nerve to ask it, this is in my mind how we learn....
I will keep an eye on the post and contact those direct for further info in due course, cheers guys...