PDA

View Full Version : Heading to SE Coast any Suggestions?

HLloyd26
19th Feb 2009, 22:27
Hi,

Weather permitting I am hoping to fly down from Denham to somewhere on SE coast over the next few days. Well not necessarily the coast but that neck of the woods, seems to be plenty of smaller grass strips inland but I’m am a bit apprehensive about using them in the winter months. At first glance looks like my main options for hard r/ws are Lydd and Manston. Was wondering if someone could recommend either of these or somewhere else in the area?

Thanks very much.

p.s. I'm a novice PPL so not looking for anything too challenging at this stage.

belowradar
20th Feb 2009, 08:00
I recommend Bembridge on the Isle Of Wight

Good runway and just a short hop over the Solent and easy to find (due south of Denham) , great day trip destination with nice pub just a short cab ride away (ask in the tower).

Good confidence builder and fun. Remember to bring a life jacket just in case.

Duchess_Driver
20th Feb 2009, 08:29
...Please, don't head south from Denham. Head West first, then south. Heathrow tend to get a bit upset otherwise!:)

Try Shoreham......Hard runways and taxiways. Nice cafe at the airport. Lydd also, but haven't been there since the new bits were open!

Midland Transport
20th Feb 2009, 10:27
I suggest Shoreham.Very good tower and nice facility. You can also get a Radar service from Farnborough who are very excellent which as a novice will be really helpful to you. If you do go to Bembridge make sure you read the Solent/Southampton info and stay well clear of the Southampton Zone.

mattuk1
20th Feb 2009, 11:36
Shoreham's definitely the place to go ;)
Think a full-stop is around £17.50 and there's a nice cafe/restaurant as stated.

FYI grass runways are u/s at the moment so you'll be on the hard surface 02/20. :ok:

Genghis the Engineer
20th Feb 2009, 12:24
Noting the novice PPL bit, I'd avoid Bembridge - lovely place, but never knowingly far from your aeroplane's crosswind limits!

Not tarmac, but Old Sarum is pleasant, does a good lunch, and the grass runway is generally pretty good in Winter.

Lydd, I'd have no hesitation in recommending - nice place, good runway, good food, some pleasant strolls from the terminal.

Shoreham can be a bit busy and you want very sharp RT, but again a nice place to visit and an interesting terminal to have a walk around.

G

mattuk1
20th Feb 2009, 13:20
I know what you mean about Bembridge...nice views of the cliffs if you can get in on rwy 30 though

mattuk1
20th Feb 2009, 13:22
actually is it open at the moment with all the rain we've had?

belowradar
20th Feb 2009, 17:17
Note others concerns about Bembridge but still recommend it as a good novice destination - I assume that you won't take me literally as far as heading south from Denham.:ok:

Mike Parsons
20th Feb 2009, 17:49
which airfield - Bembridge is the tarmac one! Grass parking, but shouldn't matter too much

mattuk1
20th Feb 2009, 19:08
yeah you're right!

Fuji Abound
20th Feb 2009, 19:49
HLloyd

- are you wanting to "do" anything when you get there - or just turn around. If you are, what might you want to do.

One suggestion - you will enjoy going there and back for a while, but if you are going to enjoy a "lifetime" flying you will need to find a purpose. Perhaps get into the habit of going places not just to go there and back.

Spotthedog
20th Feb 2009, 20:06
Nobody's mentioned Goodwood - grass r/ws but hey it's spring soon.

HLloyd26
20th Feb 2009, 21:29
Thanks very much for all the suggestions.

Bembridge is high on my list. Was thinking I might wait until summer though and make a day of it.

Fuji Abound-Ideally just looking for nice places to have a stroll, interesting airfields with things to look at and maybe some picturesque scenery. I'm afraid I am still at the stage where my main focus is improving my flying and gaining experience, so the focus has tended to be on the simply flying there and back with a short browse around the field and surrounding area if time permits. I don't have a night rating and with the short winter days time is never on my side for really making the most of my trips. Its definitely my aim to visit places for a purpose if I can.

bellend
20th Feb 2009, 22:17
Hlloyd

I fly from Denham TPC and would suggest you go to Lydd, I did this trip a few times, head out over Lambourne down SE over the Thames into Rochester with plenty of VORs to use and then onto Ashford . On the way back head round over Dover getting a service from manston, really nice flight. Takes about 45 mins outbound and the long way back up the Thames about 90-100 mins with superb views of Blightys white cliffs,Channel Tunnel, windfarms and London City on the nose

will fly for food 06
21st Feb 2009, 19:41
I would second Goodwood. The ground has dried out quite well over the last week.

Fuji Abound
21st Feb 2009, 22:25
No problem with that.

I'd go to Shoreham in that case.

You can wonder round to Transair and have a browse in the shop. Alternatively, or as well, arrange to arrive around lunch time and make the very short walk along the road into the airport, cross the dual carriage way and take lunch at the Pad - you will get a really good lunch.

All within 10 minutes walk and there are always a few interesting aircraft at KA and a decent hard runway.

Bembridge would be better for the Spring or Summer. Lots of good trips out from the airport and even a stroll up too the beach (through the carvan park) gives some interest between the flying. There is really nothing at the airport. Forget the Crab and Lobster if you go there in the summer for lunch - it has gone down hill dreadfully in the hands of the new owners.

Goodwood is fine - the tea bar is OK and if you are lucky there will be a track day or some such in progress.

I know you are going mainly for the flying but even then its worth enjoy a short time at your destination.

DavidHoul52
22nd Feb 2009, 08:27
I've never had a problem landing at Goodwood.

Arundel Castle is a great sight. Flying over to Isle of Wight and then over the Needles and back around the other side of the Southampton CTZ is good too. Theres a guide to the Solent (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/299/SOLENT%20GUIDE.pdf) from the CAA.

Interesting flight I did a couple of weeks ago - Stapleford - Whitstable, Canterbury (circle overhead at a safe height and see the cathedral) , Sandwich (nice view of 747 taking off from Manston) , Dover (watch the ferries going out, white cliffs), Folkestowe, Hastings, Battle (great view of the battle site), Cranbrook, Tilbury Docks, Stapleford.

Fly close to Dunsford airfield and see the famous 747 parked there. The countryside south of there is pretty.

http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/qq182/DavidHoul52/DSCN3427.jpg