PDA

View Full Version : Confusion!

CraigyD
19th Feb 2009, 18:12
Hi all, just a quick thing I need clearing up......

In about three months time, I will hold an FAA PPL with approximately 150hrs TT with 100hrs P1. I then plan on starting an ATPL DL course when I return from California :O.

My question is with regards to converting my PPL to its JAA equivalent before I begin a CPL course, not how to convert, but whether or not it is actually neeeded.....

According to LASORS:

The holder of a PPL(A) issued in accordance with ICAO
Annex 1 (excluding the NPPL) with at least 150 hours
flight time as a pilot, may commence an approved JAR
CPL(A) Modular Course

However, a few flight schools I have spoken to have said I have to convert my licence before I start training with them, even though the websites of some of the said schools state the quote from LASORS above. Others have said I can train without converting. Are the schools saying I have to convert in order to get more money out of me or am I missing a point here?!

Craigyd

chrisbl
19th Feb 2009, 19:25
I think you have answered your own question

Whirlygig
19th Feb 2009, 20:00
Your FAA PPL will be sufficient for you to enrol on a distance learning ATPL theory course. Then, when you commence the CPL training under a JAA school, the school may require some extra training to get you up to speed with the JAA stuff.

Cheers

Whirls

TheGlide
19th Feb 2009, 20:18
Once you have a certain amount of hours on your ICAO licence you are entitled to a JAR Licence .
so thats it you might just need to call the PLD to send you out one ...

Whirlygig
19th Feb 2009, 21:17
It's more than 150 hours though :}

Cheers

Whirls

TelBoy
21st Feb 2009, 18:50
An FAA PPL with 100+ hours TT you can "convert" to JAA PPL by taking two of the PPL written papers + RT written and practical and do the JAA flight test.

Is it worth it - you decide.

Artificial Horizon
21st Feb 2009, 19:06
you don't need to convert to undertake the JAR training. When I did my modular course for a JAR CPL/ATPL (frozen) I had a New Zealand licence, I never bothered converting it as this was an ICAO licence. Infact from memory I could even fly recreationally in the UK on my New Zealand Licence as long as I didn't cross any national boundaries. Don't bother with the conversion, it is just unrequired expense.

For you info, here is the latest regarding flying in the UK on your ICAO licence.

"It is still the case that non-UK ICAO licence holders may exercise the privileges of their licence in UK registered aircraft, albeit subject to restrictions, without the need for any verification. Details of the restrictions imposed on non-UK licence holders can be found in our FAQ's and in Section A, of LASORS publication."