PDA

View Full Version : Hour building around Orlando, FL. Sharing flight time in MArch 09

mattia_70
19th Feb 2009, 12:17
Hi
I will be around Orlando starting from MArch 10th for four weeks to build up 100 flight hours on my PPL.

Anyone interested in sharing the hours? Either the whole 100 hours or less.

I already have all the info about flying and the logistics but I am open to rearrange the details if needed.
Let me know
cheers

Longfinals
19th Feb 2009, 20:16
Hi Mattia,

some years ago i would have jumped at the possibility to do this but got my own a/c that i fly whenever i want but i know someone looking at doing exactly what you plan to do but on the west coast. He is open to ideas so if you pm me i will put you in contact with this guy. He is just finishing his FAA ATPL and needs to build 100 hrs like you, maybe you can share the time..

Richie82
21st Feb 2009, 09:45
Are you talking about splitting the cost of the 100 hrs between 2 people and flying say half each? Is that allowed? I thought you needed to do 100 hrs as PIC, ie as you in sole control of the plane.

DaveD
21st Feb 2009, 09:53
The idea behind sharing is purely to have someone with you for company and maybe a few extra skills.. It's not possible to log PIC hours with 2 people in the plane.
If anything it's actually less beneficial to have someone with you cause you can't go as far for the money :ugh:

Rodders the great
21st Feb 2009, 10:21
well a mate of mine split the hours. He flew 50, the other guy flew 50 and they both claimed all the hours. Whether or not this was legit I don't know, but it shouldn't be!

(he is currently paying me protection money the stop me from informing the CAA!)

worldpilot
21st Feb 2009, 10:22
That's Right as mentioned by DaveD. Only the PIC can log hours when both seats (left and right) are occupied by pilots. Dual logging is only possible when e.g. an instructor is on board. However though, I find the idea of having a fellow pilot accompanying you a good one because it is an opportunity to learn from one another. At the same time, if both pilots are going to fly a total of 200 hours, they could negotiate a good price per hour form the FBO. Have fun.

WP

DaveD
21st Feb 2009, 11:51
well a mate of mine split the hours. He flew 50, the other guy flew 50 and they both claimed all the hours. Whether or not this was legit I don't know, but it shouldn't be!

This is illegal as far as the CAA are concerned... fantastic way to save money, but he'll never be a pilot if he gets caught..:=

mattia_70
24th Feb 2009, 06:21
I agree.

It's only valid for FAA (see link below)

Rod Machado's Learn to Fly Page (http://www.rodmachado.com/Articles/Logging_Flight_Time.htm)

but not for JAA

cheers

malc4d
24th Feb 2009, 15:08
But the safty pilot can only log the time the other is under the hood.........in other words, they can not both log the whole block time.........

nick14
24th Feb 2009, 15:51
I will be out there from 15th March to the 24th march on holiday.

I will be taking a scenic tour at some point but only looking at an hour or 2.

Incidentally what school are you going to rent from? Im probably going with sunstate aviation or Orlando flight training as they are closest to my partners house.

Nick

piper 884
25th Feb 2009, 00:46
I would be interested in spliting the time with you. Where are you planing to rent and how much per hour is it going to cost?

S-Works
25th Feb 2009, 07:59
I will be out there from 15th March to the 24th march on holiday.

I will be taking a scenic tour at some point but only looking at an hour or 2.

Incidentally what school are you going to rent from? Im probably going with sunstate aviation or Orlando flight training as they are closest to my partners house.

Nick

I will be there from the 14th, my birthday on the 15th. Can I suggest you stay away from the Kissimee sausage factories with the fuel surcharges and extortionate check outs. I was a little unimpressed with a couple of the based operators.....

Try Tailwheels at Winterhaven only 20 minutes drive from Kissimee, cheaper, no surcharges and a really great bunch of guys. Not to mention the other side of the airfield is Jack Browns Sea Plane base. Awesome, I did my Commercial Sea Plane rating with them.

nick14
25th Feb 2009, 09:56
Bose-X

Thanks for the tip, they are actually closer and cheaper than the others!!

Nick

S-Works
25th Feb 2009, 09:57
What tailwheels or Sunstate were cheaper and closer?

When I flew from Kissimee last year the final bill was very different to the advertised rate as the 'fuel surcharge' appeared from nowhere.

nick14
25th Feb 2009, 10:05
Tail wheels,

They are advertising $108/hr for a PA28, and OFT are $119/hr so its cheaper from the start.

Have you any experience with plant city airport guys? They have some nice looking 172's for rent.

Nick

Fright Level
25th Feb 2009, 10:23
'fuel surcharge' appeared from nowhere

I had the same issue with a club based at FXE. They applied a fuel surcharge to their wet rates but any fuel I uplifted away from base was only refunded at their old (much lower) rate so I effectively paid twice :uhoh:

S-Works
25th Feb 2009, 10:29
Tail wheels,

They are advertising $108/hr for a PA28, and OFT are $119/hr so its cheaper from the start.

Have you any experience with plant city airport guys? They have some nice looking 172's for rent.

Nick

Great! The tailwheels guys are superb. When I walked into the Kisimee bunch it was credit card and passport, we are going to take payment up front - now what can we do for you.... At Winterhaven it was, what can we do for you sir, oh don't worry just pay us when you are done. Impeccable service and a really nice fleet, G1000 Garmin 172 is very nice, I did a lot of hours in that one touring around Florida and the southern states.

I have no experience of the plant city airport or any of the schools their. I found a place I am comfortable with and keep going back! Hence the trip next month.

nick14
25th Feb 2009, 10:34
Brilliant,

Il deffinatly pay the tail wheels guys a visit, that is if my licence gets validated and all the paperwork sorted bit concerned that it wont and it will be a waste of time, ah well my partner will be happy she doesn't have to put up with me taking her flying.....:}

N