PDA

View Full Version : I've lost icons in the notification area!

Screwballs
19th Feb 2009, 08:35
I seem to have lost volume and the wireless network strength indicator in the notification area. Any ideas why it would disappear? I have tried the help tool but it only gives advice on how to remove icons, not add any.

Thank for your time and help,

Screwballs.

Bushfiva
19th Feb 2009, 08:47
Right click on the notification area, properties, customize, select how you want each icon to behave. Also set the checkboxes how you want.

Screwballs
19th Feb 2009, 09:13
I've tried that but the volume and network icons don't appear in the inactive icons, they are nowhere to be found!

Thanks again,

Screwballs

BladePilot
19th Feb 2009, 09:18
Had the same a while back so I googled and disovered that it was a known problem with XP or XP Pro, I run XP Pro. Various remedies were suggested but I found that allowing my system to start up in it's own time was a simple solution, ie switch on leave alone for a few minutes to settle after start up before starting any apps and all my Icons appeared. If I was to dive in and start up any apps as the PC was going through its start up I would lose Icons. It's a simple resource issue which I fixed for good by getting rid of a load of crap that was activating with the start up menu.

stevef
19th Feb 2009, 11:22
Might be worth going to:
Start - Settings - Taskbar & Start Menu and then Customize (next to the Hide Inactive Icons check box).
Perhaps the item 'Behaviour' has changed for some reason.

Mike6567
19th Feb 2009, 16:21
I sometime loose the volume icon.
By going to Control Panel / Sounds and Audio Devices and then untick and tick Place Volume Icon in the Task Bar then the icon will return.