PDA

View Full Version : How/When did you apply for that 1st Job?

skyhighbird
19th Feb 2009, 08:16
I'm a little way off before I have to follw the advice you will hopefully give in response to this thread so this if anything, is just somethign to satisfy my curiosity.

Put simply, how/when do you apply for that first job. I'm sure you send your CVs out to any establishment that flies a plane. Not just the airlines. But do you send out your CV based on whether their website says they are recruiting or do you sent it out anyway so that "they have it on file"?

The same with the likes of easyjet/RyanairFlybe etc. Do you check their website twice a day and only send your CV once they say they are recruiting or do you send your CV to them anyway?

Did you send your CV to the likes of etihad, gulf, emirates, cathay, OMAN air! even though you know they are likely to have citizen requirements - in the slim hope that you get a reply saying that they are recruiting and will waive this or whatever?

Lastly and this is probably the most interesting question for me, is there anyone out there prepared to admit that after training, said to him/her self that they will apply ONLY to the airlines, if they get nothing back after 6 months, only then will they be realistic and look for non-airline flying jobs?

Cheers guys

CAT3C AUTOLAND
19th Feb 2009, 08:43
I applied for my first job, back in the days of sponsorship, tried and failed numerous times.

After putting myself through the training, qualifying, I did pretty much exactly what you mentioned, to get little response. I did not only target airlines (I think this would be the wrong attitude, to only target airlines). The CV went off to every operator I knew of. One thing you have to realise is, every man and is dog with the same credentials is doing the same thing. I remember a few years ago, myself a couple of friends went down to Europen when they were recruiting and took our CV's personally, thinking it may make a difference if we showed our faces, only to be greeted by the receptionist, to say, oh thanks, you can put it over there with the rest. The rest just happened to be a pile around 4 feet tall of CV's :eek:.

There are numerous ways of getting your first job. From my own experience, unless you are very lucky, it will prove a difficult task. In order to maximise your chances, you have to think of ways to enhance your experience and skill. This can be in the form of towing gliders, instructing, doing survey work etc. It also shows you are determined and are not just stting back and waiting for the job to come to you. Another key point is to network with people. Having someone to have a word in the right ear, or place your CV on the right desk, has tremendous strength. But this is not something that will just happen overnight, you have to know the right people, and have their respect.

I wish you all the best, when you get your first break it's worth all the hard work believe me.

skyhighbird
19th Feb 2009, 09:14
How long did it take you to get that first job CAT3C? In a normal market, i've heard it could be anywhere between 6 months and 2 years.

G SXTY
19th Feb 2009, 10:57
Interview largely thanks to a recommendation from my FTO (yes, I was lucky) but that's when the hard work started:

http://www.pprune.org/interviews-jobs-sponsorship/333092-zero-hours-airline-pilot-my-story.html

nick14
19th Feb 2009, 11:25
As soon as I had my MCC completed and signed I started to look.

Basically I used PPJN as a guide and blasted the CV's to anyone who had an email address. I also contacted gliding and flying clubs to see if I could do anything that involved flying/ground instruction or the like. Aerial photography companies were the most helpful but still didn't provide any flying.

In the end I got an email from my FTO saying that x airlines had contacted them to open the recruitment. The job offer came from the subsequent interview and sim check.

Good luck

Nick

Mach086
19th Feb 2009, 11:32
G-Sixty,

Amazing story. I noticed that you did your hours building before the ATPL ground school. Now I know a lot of personal stuff happned but was that advised to you?

I've been saying to other threads that I would do the exams first before hours building so that when you start the ME/IR, you have not ahad a gap in your flying.

Does it matter what you do first?

G SXTY
19th Feb 2009, 11:56
It was actually around 50% before the ATPLs and 50% afterwards. It doesn't really matter, but as you say it helps to go into the CPL/IR reasonably current, so best to use the time constructively.

Bearing 123
20th Feb 2009, 10:02
After training and with all the right tickets, I started hounding companies with CV's and phone calls for about three months to absolutely no avail, and this was when we were in the boom time of hiring.
A friend of mine just happened to be speaking to a maintenance company who were looking for a pilot on both a Seneca and a Chieftain. I was put in the frame and flew with them for a private owner (Non AOC) for about 18 months and amassed 800 PIC multi time. Single Pilot IFR flying is no fun and can be at times bloody dangerous, so again, this time loaded up with sensible hours (Circa 1500TT) out went the CV's and I felt confident that something would come in............Nothing!!!!
Someone had mentioned a name to me of a guy who had a management company and who had been around in the business for a long time, so in desperation, I wrote him a letter. I didn't attach a CV, I just asked for his advice. Two days after posting the letter, the guy called me for a chat, which lasted for about 20 minutes. He then invited me into the office the next day for an interview, and 3 months later I was flying a mid to long range bizjet.

As has been said above...... there are no set ways to getting the first job, but be prepared to take anything to get your hours to a sensible level. Also CV's are good but don't just rely on them, get out, network, be prepared to buy lots of beer for people, even beg if you have to, but don't sit back and think that the job will come to you by just sending out loads of CV's.

Good Luck:ok:

nick14
20th Feb 2009, 10:08
Wow single pilot IFR as your first one!!

It was always made clear to me that no way would anyone hire me with 250tt as single pilot IFR ops.

sounds like you have had an interesting start!!

N

Bearing 123
20th Feb 2009, 11:48
You're not joking Nick it was a complete baptism of fire and you learn as you go extremely quickly!! You are right about the hours, but I had about 700ish at that time and if you're flying for a private owner as far as I am aware there is no restriction as long as the insurance company are happy.
It wasn't all bad, in fact there were a lot of really great times, but when it all starts to go wrong, i.e. weather, tech probs etc it can get pretty intense, but fantastic training for the bigger and faster stuff.
Cheers:ok:

CAT3C AUTOLAND
20th Feb 2009, 14:36
skyhighbird,

To answer your question, from the time I finished my IR, to the time I was employed by an airline was just over 3 years.

Cheers.

jamestkirk
21st Feb 2009, 01:44
500 CV's, three years (two of which instructing), one interview.

I was lucky and got the job on heavy TurboP with glass cockpit.

I was over 30 when I started (37 now).

Not sure why we all do it but glad to meet/fly with some incredible flight deck/cabin crew people.

I am sure at the point of retiring, it will all make sense but the current climate gives me pause.

Strange bloody industry.

Artificial Horizon
21st Feb 2009, 08:21
Year 0 - Licence gained
Year 1 - Instructors rating and first Instructing job
Year 3 - First Airline job on Turbo-props
Year 5 - First Jet Job on A320
Year 7 - First Long haul job 777

Just hang on in there, it is different for everyone, I had some mates who went straight from flight school into the first job, others kept telling me how lucky I was as they looked for years for thier first break. Generally though as soon as you have the licence in your hand use every resource available to get your c.v's out or applications in.

Der_Fischmeister
21st Feb 2009, 09:13
Year 0-Faa licences Flight Instructor
Year1 -Jaa Conversion,First Job Trislander Uk
Year2- Dornier 228 cargo
Year 3- Learjet 60 -Gulfstream 150

Hang in there ...gain experience...qualify....be yourself..

BE A CAPTAIN EVERYTIME YOU GET INTERVIEWED,THATS WHAT THEY ARE LOOKING FOR---> POTENTIAL (FUTURE) CAPTAINS.

CHEERS

Cecco
21st Feb 2009, 16:55
Skyhighbird, keep trying, although the current climate couldnīt be worse there are still jobs out there. I used the function on the homepage of "European Business Air News", where you can look up every operator in Europe. Some of them have jobs advertised.

bfisk
22nd Feb 2009, 11:26
Started on a combined FAA and JAA programme in oct.2005, started instructiong 10 months later in august 2006. Went back to europe in october 2007 with 1870 total hrs. Did the ATPL theory, morse, mcc and skills test. First applications sent later that day (april 2008). Dashed out applications and CVs in all directions, mainly to all norwegian/swedish/danish operators, then later some UK ones and a particular irish carrier.

No response for a couple of months, then got an interview with said irish loco carrier. Got accepted but in the mean time got interviews with two king air operators in norway and a norwegian regional carrier. Played it cool with the irish company and got an offer from one of the king air operators before my last scheduled interview, which I then cancelled. Started TR course less than a week later and I'm now on the line and enjoying every bit of it. So glad i decided to play it cool and not fork out 30k€ for a TR.... Better to have salary during training :}

The only thing I'm even more happy with is the fact that I finished training when I did; 6 months later and I think things would not have been as easy. There were a couple of nervous months before things got sorted out, but in hindsight I see that I've had a great deal of luck with timing :)