PDA

View Full Version : MEDEVAC down in souther Poland

jacek_flying
19th Feb 2009, 05:36
MEDEVAC crashed after picking up a patient on the side of a highway in southern Poland killing 2. I would suspect icing as their was a blizard at the time does anyone know if these MEDEVAC copters have any de-ice or anti-ice onboard?

rotorrookie
26th Feb 2009, 17:32
What about S-76?? aint some them equipped with anti-ice?
In Sweden they use S-76
Norrlandsflyg AB (http://www.norrlandsflyg.se/)

AAKEE
26th Feb 2009, 17:58
Nope, Norrlandsflyg´s S76 don´t have deicing for flight in icing conditions.

kiilik
26th Feb 2009, 18:53
MI-2 has electrical anti-ice system on main and tail rotor blades. It's practiclly smaller version of MI-8 all weather machine. EC155 may not have any anti-ice systems, but Mi-2 certainly has.:=

tecpilot
27th Feb 2009, 07:28
EC155pilot

you are talking nuts. You seems to be a real expert.

Mi-2 is surely not really one of the best helicopters ever, it's an very old and heavy ship but it's one of the best de-iced helicopters.

Fully deiced main- and tailrotor, windshield deicing, engine deicing, pitot deicing coupled with an automatic icing indicator. Due to the engine oil tanks filled with warm oil in the air intakes the engines are additionally protected.

I have flown the ship in heavy icing without any problems. It's quite impressing during flight to see ice plates coming down the windshield with working deicing system.

The only problem i found ever is the failure of the russian built ADF under icing condition due to iced sense antenna.

Lt.Fubar
27th Feb 2009, 14:04
That Mi-2+ went down not because of icing, but terrible weather in mid flight to the casualty (no pick up performed). Pilot, and paramedic died in crash, doctor survived, called for help, and after an hour of search for the wreckage was transported in heavy condition to hospital.

At takeoff site weather conditions were good, and should be the same along the way. But weather suddenly changed with heavy snow fall and fog restricting visibility, as for today there is no proof of other causes.