PDA

View Full Version : insufficient power to run Nvidia graphics card

macdee
18th Feb 2009, 19:41
I've had an Nvidia 6600 graphics card installed for 2 +years in my PC running XP, This last couple of weeks an error message keeps popping up saying I have insufficient power to run the Nvidia graphics and they will be downgraded to prevent problems.I have not added any new hardware,there are only the monitor, and graphics card that would use any power, I disconnected the printer but still get the same message.The power loss seems to be so bad that a regular game cannot be played offline now.Any advice would be appreciated.macdee

terrain safe
18th Feb 2009, 21:24
Either replace your power supply or the power lead into your card has come loose. The second has happened to me.:ok::ok:

Saab Dastard
18th Feb 2009, 21:58
Take the opportunity to clean out the inside of the case to remove dust, and then reseat all the cables and connectors.

SD

macdee
19th Feb 2009, 08:53
Thanks will try both suggestions,and will let you know result or fault foundMacdee

macdee
21st Feb 2009, 11:29
Thanks to SB and TS for suggestions. All now back to normal. Refixed all sockets on drives and motherboard,one or two not fully home and probably the culprits!CheersMacdee

Loose rivets
21st Feb 2009, 15:06
Always make sure we define the problem accurately. I'm assuming that we're all talking about electrical 'power', and not that the computer is unable to support the card because of a lowered processing power.

A bad connection causing a significant power loss would be all too evident. To lose 'power' across an unwanted resistance would almost always cause fluctuating voltages on the device being supplied, with associated 'electrical noise'. This could be soaked up in the video card's smoothing, but I have my doubts.

However, years on the electronics workbench just makes one expect the unexpected. So, cleaning/re-seating contacts is a first and certainly cheap step.

For the PSU output - on one or more lines - to have dropped just a small, but stable amount, seems a little unlikely, but not impossible.

If it were a voltage problem, my gut feeling would be that the Nvidia sensing might always be right on the cusp of giving a warning, and has just gone into the 'react' bracket.

There is a Chinese Digital Volt Meter (with other usual functions plus a few) - being sold round the world now - $1.49 here! - and yes, that's not a mistake. It even comes with a free 9v battery. It agrees with my Avo and my Fluke almost exactly. Taking readings of the voltages shouldn't be too hard, even for someone with little experience. Voltages are always a good start to fault-finding.

Turning the unit to AC, and measuring again, should show zero in a perfect world. Any 'noise' might show up as an AC voltage. This would be a significant warning flag, though as I've implied, a 'rough' input supply to the card would probably have caused more chaos than just a voltage warning.

Mac the Knife
21st Feb 2009, 18:01
Usually happens to me when I forget to replace the card's power connector!

Evidently you have (with PPRuNe's help) figured it out.

:ok:

green granite
21st Feb 2009, 20:11
However, years on the electronics workbench just makes one expect the unexpected. So, cleaning/re-seating contacts is a first and certainly cheap step.

In the early days of video arcade M/Cs the program was held in anything up to 30 EPROMS all plugged into sckts on the mother board. Just slipping a screwdriver under each end of each of them and lifting them a bit and reseating them would cure most faults.

Loose rivets
22nd Feb 2009, 00:33
Yes, it was strange that such a well made socket could cause so much trouble. (I'm assuming a professional standard in kit like that.) In the days of the early mini and mainframes, a lot of gold was used. This caused problems of a different kind.

Gold contacts on memory became a no-no for a while, "tin" being the preferred surface. Generating micro-volts between metal types I suppose.

For a while, the de-commissioning of the old IBMs etc., was a nice little earner for the opportunist. I'm not sure of the total value of the gold however.

Aeronut
23rd Feb 2009, 16:08
Loose Rivets - Where can you buy a voltmeter for $1.49?????? :confused:

macdee
23rd Feb 2009, 19:33
Following on from my post regarding the low power.The " Nvidia graphics have been downgraded to prevent damage to your computer" message kept popping up even when no actual graphic was being displayed i.e. opening screen only. The rest of the 'troubleshoot' message referred to a supplementary power cable to be attached... see your user manual. The only power cable is that from the power module and there is no other socket on the graphics board to attach another cable and I have no manual for the card ,or the PC.So far the system is behaving itself but I still can't figure how it was 'cured' or why.... but grateful for the advice.....I'm very much a novice at the game.Macdee

green granite
23rd Feb 2009, 20:23
Daughter boards (plug in cards) get their power from the sockets they plug into, in the case of the more powerful video cards there is insufficient power available through those connectors so they supplement it by using an extra lead direct from the PSU if you lose one or the other supply then it keeps working but at a reduced level

Loose rivets
24th Feb 2009, 06:52
Loose Rivets - Where can you buy a voltmeter for $1.49??????

These are a small but easy to read 7 function DVM. I have to confess that they were on offer that day...normal price $2.25 :}

They have a socket for testing transistors, a high current plug and a very handy battery tester that loads the cell while testing. Reading in milli-amps.

I keep one in each car, give them to the children, and a couple in the hobbyshop.

I'm a member of a radio and t/v restoration forum in the UK and they've mentioned what must be the same unit. Doubtful they'd be sold in Radio Shack cos it would conflict with the more expensive ones, but cheap tool shops will have them.

Yes, they're made in China. :( As is the pen sized blowtorch - fueled by lighter fuel, that freed a bearing shaft on my car. I used them for soldering big joints on house wiring. $1.23...but I had to buy the gas. Mean #%

Aeronut
18th Mar 2009, 14:00
Where from ? Loose Rivets old boy.

Loose rivets
18th Mar 2009, 19:00
I got mine from a company in Texas called Harbor Freight Tools. Pretty well everything Chinese. Other than spotting a radio forum member talking about them in the UK, I don't know. But, I notice our local Thursday market at home has stalls selling all these cheap tools. No doubt one of them will have these meters.

taxydual
18th Mar 2009, 20:37
Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices (http://www.harborfreight.com/)

No idea if they will export to UK though.