PDA

View Full Version : RAF detachable kneeboards - Fast Jet Aircrew

NDW
18th Feb 2009, 14:50
Afternoon all,

I have been watching : Fighter Pilot : Afghanistan on www.youtube.com (http://www.youtube.com) and saw that when the RAF Harrier pilot was briefing he had a what seemed to be a detachable kneeboard - olive green colour

http://media.monstersandcritics.com/galleries/1153196/0131108050085.jpg

The link above shows HRH holding one in his left hand.

Just wondering, why they are used?

Thanks

PPRuNeUser0211
18th Feb 2009, 14:54
Handy for keeping gizets and widgets in, handy for writing on in the FJ environment where you aren't walking round with writing pads strapped to your legs. As to why HRH is using one, anyone's guess;)!

Runaway Gun
18th Feb 2009, 15:08
It keeps your most important notes/docs in a handy place to refer to inflight. Especially handy if in a windy cockpit, or one that tends to go inverted.

NDW
18th Feb 2009, 15:18
Cheers for the reply's.

Do you know if they are available to buy? I appreciate that they are Military, but as a Air Cadet - I'm doing my ACPNS hopefully soon - It would be useful to have one :ok:

Thanks

Peter Carter
18th Feb 2009, 15:59
I use one of these:
Hendricks 9-G Plus High Performance Kneeboard.

'Works Good' as some say in the USAF

PAPI-74
18th Feb 2009, 16:20
Ask in the stores - I was given one but tried everywhere to get a second for a mate, but no luck. To be honest they are too small anyway for a nav flight as they are too small for a plog and useless if you are in the circuit as they get in the way.

KneeBoard with Eyelets & Clipboard (http://flyboys.com/kneebwiteycl.html#top)

These USAF ones are ok

Pilots Flightboards (http://www.transair.co.uk/Category.asp?SID=1&Category_ID=2762)

A non folding kneeboard is best for nav as they can be placed alongside your leg out of the way. This is big enough for a detailed plog and charts, with slots behind for rules and a douglas ptr.

scottyhs
18th Feb 2009, 16:40
For an ACPNS you wont need one, What they will give you will suffice and they will probably teach you to use the kit they will issue you/lend you for the week!

Save your money - If your old enough buy beer, if not buy chocolate!

Dunhovrin
18th Feb 2009, 18:39
Padded out a bit they made a very handy rest for the wrist whilst busy strangling the cyclic.

Good Luck, NDW. And keep up the fine standard of literacy. A pleasure to read compared to some of the output of the illiterate knuckle-draggers you find here.

FlightTester
18th Feb 2009, 20:03
If you have a refueling probe on your IDS Tornado, don't leave your knee board on it and then forget about it all the way up to the point when you see it disappear rapidly rearwards at about 80kts:O

If you're pushing minus X g in a Typhoon and you have the entire test card wedged into your knee board, don't forget to make sure that you closed the clasps properly, a cockpit full of floaty paper is pretty but it makes putting the test card back into some sort of order a tad difficult:O

Good luck NDW

Rigger1
18th Feb 2009, 20:44
NO NO NO

Unless things have changed very recently, these things have not been cleared for fast jet use and I am sick to death of jets being grounded, taking up valuable time and resources, because some jockey has taken his nice shiny 'un-cleared' knee board into the cockpit only to find that bits come of it / it disintegrates and becomes FOD a little too easily.

Please check it has been cleared for use before you buy one, because us engineers have enough to do without any old kit being taken into the cockpit.

NDW
18th Feb 2009, 21:19
cheers guys and thanks 'Dunhovrin' for the kind remark...appreciated:ok:

Does anyone know if they are specifically called anything...I'm trying to find one on google, however I'm limited to what I can search for, unless anyone has any websites that have any details.

Also is it worth contacting my local RAF station(flying of course):8 to see whether they have any old ones

thanks again

Bob Viking
18th Feb 2009, 21:42
Unless he's talking about the olive green issue version that has been in use for many years.
And yes, it has been cleared for fast jet use!
BV:8

Could be the last?
19th Feb 2009, 07:10
The olive green one is the only knee board cleared for use in FJ, and there is a mod to fix the issue with the rivets; however, is it really fit for the job?

Working with an OEU recently, they alluded to the fact that most use a privately purchased alternative knee board - if that is the case, then highlight the fact that the current one is C$%^ through your FSO or SEREO and get the kit changed. :ok:

PPRuNeUser0211
19th Feb 2009, 07:24
Let's just say that not very many of the fast jet aircrew I know use the green brain. Also, a significant proportion may own one of the above links. I'm not saying they use them in a fast jet cockpit. Just that they own one. Obviously with the little annoying rings that fall off replaced with zip ties...

FCWhippingBoy
19th Feb 2009, 08:00
Certainly in the ACO world (I know, hardly fast and certainly not jet!) the only kneeboard cleared for use is the MOD issue one as in the pic of HRH PW.

Bob Viking
19th Feb 2009, 09:53
Let's just say that I know lots of FJ aircrew that do use them. It's not the best but it does the job.
Maybe we're all just too tight to go out and buy one!
Or maybe we are all blindly obedient and possessed of the utmost personal integrity!
BV:E

PPRuNeUser0211
19th Feb 2009, 10:55
BV - true! Although if you are in north america they are substantially cheaper as the international postage is a bugger. I always found the "forwards flip" design of the green brain entirely irritating, vs the sideways flip of the commercially available product....

Professor Plum
19th Feb 2009, 11:38
They often crop up on ebay every now and then, although I doubt you'd need one for your course.

Rigger1
19th Feb 2009, 11:56
BV - I hope you are talking about the authorised one because if your not please pass on the ground crews thanks for the countless seats we've had to remove looking for unauthorised kneeboard bits, and I must say (If they are not the issue ones) that I am impressed by their total disregard for the rules and flight safety... how would they feel if I endangered their lives by leaving my own, and therefore unauthorised, tools in the jet .........

Ivor Fynn
19th Feb 2009, 12:07
Rigger,

Take a pill:ugh::ugh:

Ivor

Blacksheep
19th Feb 2009, 12:11
Ah, I see the RAF hasn't got round to giving you chaps the "Electronic Flight Bag" then ... :oh:

PPRuNeUser0211
19th Feb 2009, 13:21
Blacksheep .... tell me you're joking!? We might just about get something resembling the shiny stuff that some modern biz-jet crews get (wide angle hud with synthetic vision, EFB, etc etc etc) in about... oooh... err when we transfer to an all UAV force?

Rigger - there is an issue with people sticking their own things together with sticky tape and then losing bits. However, some of the linked items are indeed approved for use in one or two foreign air forces, so are probably relatively ok.... especially with a healthy dose of common sense injected!

Bob Viking
19th Feb 2009, 13:21
From reading my past posts I think it is obvious which kneeboard I am talking about.
The individuals in question are only ever risking their own lives so I wouldn't take it personally!
BV
PS. PBA you're right about the flip forwards idea, but to be honest I really only use it for the clip on the front to stop my map dropping on the floor! Oh and somewhere to keep my Brady to stop thieving gits from nicking it!:ok:

PPRuNeUser0211
19th Feb 2009, 15:31
What's a map BV?;)

K.Whyjelly
19th Feb 2009, 20:03
The one I liberated upon leaving was made by this lot..............................................

RFD Beaufort Ltd :: FAQ's (http://www.rfdbeaufort.com/rfd_Defence/about/faqs.asp)

Give them a phone call.....they will probably say no.

Bob Viking
19th Feb 2009, 20:38
You must be an Air Defender then?!
BV:}

PPRuNeUser0211
20th Feb 2009, 07:44
>Denies everything<

Jambo Jet
20th Feb 2009, 10:03
A few years back I mentioned needing one to the Squippers. They made one for me. Works a treat.

Why not just ask them ?

Mr Grimsdale
20th Feb 2009, 10:06
K.Whyjelly (http://www.pprune.org/members/169392-k-whyjelly)

I gave them a call last July, they said er... yes, but they only ever sell them to the MOD in batches so I would have to wait until next batch order and the price £88, I nearly had a heart attack. Seems the MOD is getting good value for money there!

Anyway, I found a brand new one on eBay for £19 including P&P... took about 9 months for one to appear though.

Fox_4
27th Feb 2009, 20:45
Flyboys kneeboards = vg
Issue OG kneeboards = utter crap

Ever going to be replaced?! No chance. Every year the FS bods say a new one is "in testing". Every year the lads buy Flyboys kneeboards.