PDA

View Full Version : jumpseating in India

Turningtwo
17th Feb 2009, 21:03
Hey, I'm going to India soon and I'm wondering if someone can help answer my question. So I'm a pilot for an airline in America and I'm wondering if I can jumpseat within India. I'm trying to travel from Mumbai to Bangalore. Is this possible or should I just buy a ticket? I don't know how it works out there so I figured it was worth a shot trying to ask here before I look stupid trying to do it there. Thanks.

Sky Dancer
18th Feb 2009, 13:10
Don't even DREAM about it let alone think....buy a ticket.

Nevrekar
18th Feb 2009, 13:45
Jumpseating as we know it in North America does not exist here. You can travel on your own airline as an ACM (Additional Crew Member) and that might put you in the jumpseat either by choice or due to load factor.
The only way is to either get an ID90 prior to departure or else buy a ticket here. Some airlines here might offer buddy passes to their employees, and so if you know someone here you can try that. You can jumpseat all the way to India on any carrier that your current airline has internaional agreements with. But once you get here, you will have to shell out some dough.

jet_air
18th Feb 2009, 14:04
Buddy passes ...
that too in India ??:}

Best to buy a ticket..

Would have loved if jump seating existed.. my airline doesnt connect my base with my parent's place.. so almost every damn week i pay the guys who fly that sector to stay with my family.:hmm:

ibcd
18th Feb 2009, 14:09
I had been traveling on Jet Airways quite a lot using the ZED fares purchased from my current carrier in US. However, with the actual fares cheaper now than ZED fares, I have started buying the ticket. Ex. Mumbai - Ahmedabad ZED fare $90, whereas regular ticket on Kingfisher about $55.

justiceman
21st Feb 2009, 11:25
You say You are Pilot.then why do this jumoseating Bro.buy a ticket.Why bother looking for cheaper options ....

Schumi - Red Baron
21st Feb 2009, 11:35
You say You are Pilot.then why do this jumoseating Bro.buy a ticket.Why bother looking for cheaper options ....

Mate every pilot will go for this if given an option, esp. in this downturn....

Nevrekar
21st Feb 2009, 14:45
Jumpseating is a privilege that is offered by most airlines in North America & Europe based on reciprocal agreements in place and proper documentation.
Post 9/11, actual seating in the cockpit is restricted to those whose identity
can be verified positively.

Why jumpseat? For one it usually means a free ride. No pilot I know will turn that down! Secondly, if there is room in the cabin, you will normally be given
a seat in first/business class. Sure beats any other option that you would pay for.

It is a privilege and not a right. Common courtesy to the crew (cabin included) and having all the proper credentials will ensure a smooth ride.
Many pilots in North America do not live where they are based and commute to work. We had one pilot based in Atlanta who commuted from Alaska. Another lived in Paris (yep, France). Jumpseating is especially helpful for those individuals especially when their airline does not serve the city they commute from.

If you absolutely have to be somewhere on a particular day, buy a ticket.
And in India, buy a ticket or an ID 90.

Aravinth
22nd Feb 2009, 12:09
It is possible to jump seat in india If u hold a valid employee ID card of the particular airline.

condorbaaz
23rd Feb 2009, 04:29
not true...

Need to get have an all area orange c pass as well.

Then try to get through commercial and security without any documentation

Sky Dancer
23rd Feb 2009, 05:41
Like I'd mentioned earlier..DON'T EVEN DREAM ABOUT IT....I'll pay you a million if you manage to do it..:E

GoodGrief
23rd Feb 2009, 08:40
A ticket from Mumbai to Bangalore is only $75, so why go through all the hassles?