PDA

View Full Version : A320 Emergency Exit Availability

stezam65
17th Feb 2009, 19:49
TO AIRBUS 319-320 PILOT AND CABIN CREW.

Dear Mrs. and Mr.,
in the rows adjacent overwing emergency exits of A319 and A320, the hooks that close passenger tables must be operated only inward. This is because during an emergency evacuation, the passengers cannot accidentally unlock the hooks and doing so permit no delay in airplane evacuation.

My first question is: can anybody give me any official Airbus document where is written that these hooks can be operated only inward?

In my airline the backrest of passenger seats of the rows adjacent emergengy exits (in all A319, A320, A321) reclines just a little bit comparing other backrests in other rows. This is because even if the backrest doesn't return in normal upright position, during an emergency evacuation the passenger flow's not delayed.

My second question: is there any official Airbus document where is written that these backrests must be limited in the recline?

Thanks a lot for any answer!
Stef

minstermineman
18th Feb 2009, 17:28
Dont airlines select their own passenger cabin configurations / fittings - in which case it would have nothing to do with Airbus ? ?

Apart from that - it seems like common sense to me !

QA1
18th Feb 2009, 19:02
An aircraft interior design layout has to be approved by the relevant airworthiness authority; for new European aircraft today that’s EASA. The requirements for accessing emergency exits for new designs are contained in CS25.813.

The A320 family of aircraft was certified to JAR 25 at change 11 (I think) – pre EASA. As a general guide for over-wing exits, the opening must not be restricted by anything, including loose table, reclined seats etc. hence the requirements you note.

UK CAA document CAP 747 has nice drawings and simple language under Generic Requirement No.3 for access to Type III and Type IV exits.

stezam65
18th Feb 2009, 20:42
Dear Engineer,
thanks a lot for your help.
You gave me the correct informations I needed.
Just for anybodyelse info I paste all the pages concerning the data you gave me.
Thanks again. Grazie
Stef

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP747.PDF (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP747.PDF)
pag.752.
To achieve, where possible, an orderly
approach to the exit from the aisle, the CAA has decided that the seat backs of those
seat rows immediately forward and aft of the exit access route from the aisle shall be
restricted in both recline and break forward not only to maintain the minimum access
width but also to maintain the seat back in an essentially upright attitude

Pag 755
The seat back of each seat which forms the boundary of the access route to each
Type III and Type IV emergency exit shall be restricted in its movement (break forward
and recline, where fitted) so as to maintain the minimum access to the exit required
by paragraph 4.1, and ensure that the seat back is in an essentially upright position
(i.e. fully forward or fully back, but not exceeding ±35° from the vertical), without
overlapping the projected opening of the exit

Pag 756
It is a requirement that fold-up meal tables are correctly stowed for take-off and
landing. If, however, having increased the seat pitch, particular seat back meal tables
are no longer used, they must either be removed from the seat, or their function
inhibited to ensure that they cannot inadvertently obstruct the access to the exit.
Where tables are retained for use at seats adjacent to the access route, the latches
shall be sufficiently reliable and adequately protected against inadvertent release

http://www.jaa.nl/publications/crd/jar-25-change13.pdf (http://www.jaa.nl/publications/crd/jar-25-change13.pdf)
pag. 142
For, aeroplanes that have a passenger seating configuration, excluding pilot's seats, of 20 or more, the projected opening of the exit provided may not be obstructed and there must be no interference in opening the exit by seats, berths, or other protrusions (including seat backs in any position) for a distance from that exit not less than the width of the narrowest passenger seat installed on the aeroplane