PDA

View Full Version : R/T Practical after GST?

Pilotdom
17th Feb 2009, 12:12
Can the GST be done without having passed R/T practical? Obviously R/T practical would be done a.s.a.p after GST and before issue by CAA. A friend of mine hasn't the time to do R/T practical before his GST which is booked for end of this week.

VFR Transit
17th Feb 2009, 12:15
GST can be done before the R/T practical, however you can't have licence issued until you have a valid RT licence.

VFR

Katamarino
17th Feb 2009, 12:18
Do you need to maintain your R/T license if you only fly non-radio aircraft? If so, why? (CAA fundraising perhaps?)

Whopity
17th Feb 2009, 16:15
Both wrong I'm afraid

however you can't have licence issued until you have a valid RT licence. They are separate licences and you do not need a FRTOL to get a PPL issued!

Do you need to maintain your R/T license if you only fly non-radio aircraft? If so, why? (CAA fundraising perhaps?) NO, but as its free to persons holding a pilot licence, why would you not want to keep it? How do they raise funds from a free issue? If you decided not to renew it, you would have to pay the examiner if you ever wanted to get it back again!

beatnik
17th Feb 2009, 18:32
I think (ergo I might be wrong) that if you apply for your R/T licence (a separate licence as Whopity says) at the same time as you apply for your PPL licence, then the CAA waives the R/T licence application fee of £67.

If you apply separately, then you have to pay £168 + £67

Eliteaircare
17th Feb 2009, 18:46
I managed to do my RT license almost 1 year after issue of my PPL (due to other commitments) and I didn't get charged anything. I just sent the form with 'license already held' written in the examination dates. No questions issued within 2 weeks:ok:

Katamarino
18th Feb 2009, 13:25
Ah, I had forgotten it was free. A sensible decision from the CAA then, I will give them credit where credit is due :ok:

Whopity
18th Feb 2009, 13:49
If you apply separately, then you have to pay £168 + £67 Wrong again! Read the application form: http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG1106FF.pdf Note 4
4 If the licence is required for use with an existing CAA issued flight crew licence or a UK issued medical certificate, no fee is
payable. In the case of holders of a valid medical certificate the, Section 5 should be endorsed by the FTO/RF and the certificate
enclosed with the licence application.

beatnik
19th Feb 2009, 13:21
Thanks Whopity :O

x933
21st Feb 2009, 16:51
On a slightly different tangent - does anyone know how long you have to send back the paperwork before you have to resit the tests? I completed both in December 2007 but moved house and flying training went on hold - i'm now in a position to start again and want to know if it's still valid before throwing £70 at the CAA...Thanks!

Eliteaircare
21st Feb 2009, 21:01
I think that the written exams are valid for 1 year, so in your case I think that you may need to re-sit them. I would check with your CFI first though.

batninth
22nd Feb 2009, 11:57
x933,

I concur with Eliteaircare on the 12 months. I'm in the middel fo the process, having taking my GST then followed up with the RT exams after I had been issued with my NPPL.

I missed something off the FRTOL application & the letter from the CAA asking for the extra stuff says that I have 12 months from the issue of the RT exam pass to complete the process.