PDA

View Full Version : JAA Single IR to Multi IR

Prophead
17th Feb 2009, 08:04
Hi

Could someone tell me what is invloved in converting a JAA SE/IR to ME/IR.

Has anyone done this route and how did it go?

Regards

Linda Mollison
17th Feb 2009, 10:30
LASORS Section E 1.2 reads:

Holders of an ICAO SE IR(A) wishing to obtain a JAR-FCL ME IR(A) will be required to attend an approved IR(A) training provider. There are currently 3 alternative approved courses of training to obtain the JAR-FCL ME IR(A). Applicants should consult with the IR training provider as to which course of training they have been approved to conduct. In addition they shall either hold a multi-engine type/class rating, or have at least completed an approved course of training for the ME class rating. The 3
options are:-

Option 1: Complete a minimum of 15 hours SE IR flight instruction, of which 5 hours may be in a FNPTI or 10 hours in a FNPT II or Flight Simulator. In addition, applicants must hold a multi-engine class rating and complete an additional 5 hours instrument flying instruction in multi-engine aeroplanes, of which 3 hours may be in a Flight Simulator or FNPT II and pass a ME IR(A) Skill Test; or

Option 2: Complete a minimum of 13 hours ME IR flight instruction in a ME FNPT II. In addition, applicants must hold a multi-engine class rating and complete at least 7 hours instrument flying instruction in multi-engine aeroplanes; or

Option 3: Complete a minimum of 15 hours ME IR instruction in a multi-engine aeroplane (no instructional time will be allowed in a FNPT or Flight Simulator).

I would personally recommend option 2.

Prophead
17th Feb 2009, 11:23
Thanks Linda.

Ive just been reading your piece on PPL/IR and now you answer my post on here.:)

Keygrip
17th Feb 2009, 17:39
Whoaa, prophead,...."Insufficient data to formulate reply". (with thanks to K9).

I appreciate your profile suggests Berkshire as home, but an important question would be "What is the state of issue of your current IR-SPA-SE".

By that I mean, is your current single engine I/R issued by the UK CAA - or some other JAA member state?

Rules are different abroad.!!

Prophead
17th Feb 2009, 20:05
I dont have an SE/IR. I am thinking of getting the SE/IR then converting to an ME/IR later. Id like to fly IFR into europe etc. I have access to a complex touring aircraft which is single engine.

As part of my hour building id like to make use of this. However although the fATPL is my goal. I dont think there will be any jobs anytime soon so may as well get some quality hours in the book and enjoy it.

Rodrek
3rd Feb 2012, 09:49
Guys I've found this on LASORS in section E 1.2

SE IR(A) to ME IR(A)*
a. 5 hours instrument time under instruction in ME
aeroplanes, which may include (b);
b. 3 hours in FNPT II or Flight Simulator if approved by
CAA;
c. Pass a ME IR(A) Skill Test with a UK CAA Staff
Flight Examiner.
* The holder of a SE IR(A) wishing to upgrade to ME IR(A)
shall either hold a multi-engine type/class rating, or have
at least completed an approved course of training for the
ME class rating.

it's sounds cheaper :D did they change the rule? or maybe I got the wrong section?
I'm very interested because I'm going to start the IR soon and I'd like to know if it's worth paying a little more for both the ratings:single and multi IR.

Thanks.

BillieBob
3rd Feb 2012, 13:17
The original question was how to convert a JAA SEIR to MEIR and Rodrek found the correct reference in LASORS. The source requirement is in Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 1.205, except for the requirement for CAA approval of the FSTD and for the IR Skill Test to be conducted by a CAA staff examiner, which are peculiarly UK requirements.

The requirements for conversion of an ICAO (i.e. non-JAA) SEIR to a JAA MEIR that Linda found are a UK interpretation and may well not be the same in other JAA member states. This should not be the case when Part-FCL comes into force.

felixflyer
3rd Feb 2012, 13:22
So does that mean, in other JAR states you can convert without the need to do a test or have I read your post wrong?

Is the ME/IR test a full test or an abbreviated one when converting from JAR SE/IR?

Regards