PDA

View Full Version : Twin Turbine Type Rating

Singe25
16th Feb 2009, 20:40
Having gained a PPL (H), can somebody confirm if there is a minimum of hours needed as PIC before starting a Twin Turbine Type Rating? Having read LASOR, I think I'm right in saying you need 70 Hours PIC.

:confused:

miket_68
16th Feb 2009, 21:26
You are correct 70 Hours PIC, but there is also a theory requirement check out Capts adverts on this site,

Have you checked out the prices too, sorry just a jealous R22 Pilot

Cheers

:-)

Singe25
16th Feb 2009, 21:55
Thanks for the quick response, can you guide me to the Capts advert that you mention?

I don't really want to go abroad to hour build, know any good rates (Cheap) for an R22 to hour build on?

R44-pilot
17th Feb 2009, 07:21
You want to hour build (for cheap) yet want to get a twin turbine rating with a ppl(h)?

That makes very little sense to me......

If you looking into going cpl(h) I dont think getting a twin with a ppl(h) will benefit you much.... its shear hours you want, so your gonna go SFH hire a AS355? should imagine there gonna charge you a grand an hour for that so you could probably have 6.6 hours on a R22 for 1 hour twin time..:ugh:Plus I cant see any owner/operator letting a ppl(h) pilot with less than 100 hundred hours take a £1.2 million helicopter for a ride around on there own can you? safety pilot for maybe 50-100hrs......? just a guess though.

Please let the pro's correct me if i'm wrong.........

Either way here CAPT online.... Caledonian Advanced Pilot Training - Multi-Engine (http://captonline.com/ME.html)

nigelh
17th Feb 2009, 09:03
1,000 hrs pic min on mine for SFH .:ok:

R44-pilot
17th Feb 2009, 09:25
1000hours? :eek::eek::eek: I'll call in in a few years!!

What would the SFH cost then once he has 1000hrs......

idle stop
17th Feb 2009, 15:55
Sorry to add another gloomy note, but in order to add a twin-engine type rating to your PPL(H) you will need to have completed the CPL(H) ground exams or be certificated as having demonstrated knowledge to that level. The latter means that if you don't do the formal exams you would have to undertake an approved groundschool course to gain that proficiency level before starting your type rating course. There may be TRTOs out there who have this approval: but check first.
Sorry, this is off the top of my head: it's in LASORS.
It was, of course, much easier in the days before JAR-FCL came along....

wobble2plank
17th Feb 2009, 16:11
Might I also suggest that running into a turbine twin with minimum hours might not be the best way to approach it?

Unless you have a mate who happens to own a twin Squirrel or maybe an A109 then the best course of action, in my humble opinion, would be to look for something a little smaller, cheaper and less complex. Then get used to flying helos in different weathers, airspace, airfields etc.

Also, will your 70 hour race include an IR rating and a night rating? If not then hours in a twin are about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

if it truly is a CPL(H) you are after then, as has been sensibly suggested earlier in this thread, hour building on a machine where you can get 5 hours for the price of 1 twin hour seems far better. When you have the CPL and our little finacial spat is over then look for an employer who will pay for the conversion.

1,000 hrs pic min on mine for SFH

How much would that be then per hour and what type? (4500 hours rotary, 4000 PIC in twins now getting bored flying pressurised aluminum tubes ;) )

Enjoy, don't run before you can walk, you'll trip up.

Whirlygig
17th Feb 2009, 16:11
or be certificated as having demonstrated knowledge to that level. Hence posts #2 and #4 :) CAPT do a multi-engine course (not to be confused with the type-rating theory).

Cheers

Whirls

Singe25
17th Feb 2009, 16:19
Thank you for all the advice. There is a lot of food for thought.

windowseatplease
17th Feb 2009, 16:50
Get an FAA PPL and then fly an N-reg twin.

Singe25
17th Feb 2009, 18:53
Somebody else was telling me do to the same. Are there problems with going that route. Also is it easy to convert a JAA PPL H to an FAA (H)?

collector
17th Feb 2009, 19:48
Also is it easy to convert a JAA PPL H to an FAA (H)?

It's easy. File a form and send it or fax it to the FAA, together with copies of your documents. They will check you JAA PPL(H) status with your CCA. You should decide in which FAA FSDO you want to be issued your FAA PPL(H) and state so in the form. They do not send it by mail so you'll have to show there. You should allow at least 90 days for processing.

There are an aditional requirements for UK applicants though...take a look.

Airmen Certification: Verify the Authenticity of a Foreign License, Rating, or Medical Certification (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/)

choppertop
17th Feb 2009, 21:20
1,000 hrs pic min on mine for SFH

And you'd be cool with him flying it 30ft agl at 100 kts over moorland, yeah, nigelh??! :}

(see Colin McRae thread)

HillerBee
17th Feb 2009, 22:42
You need a full or stand alone FAA PPL(H), with a based on license you're only allowed to fly the types that are on your JAA PPL(H), so useless.

To get a FAA PPL(H) you need to sit a written (computer) exam, and do at least three hours of training with a FAA CFI(H), then you 'might' (depends on your skill level, an instructor won't sign you off if it's marginal, because if you fail his pass-rate will be down, and can get the instructor in trouble) get an endorsment for the checkride, which you take with a DPE, after that you will have a temporary license issued on the spot. Furthermore you'll need TSA clearance which is not to hard to get, but takes a bit of time. www.flightschoolcandidates.gov

As said before nobody will let you fly a twin-turbine or any turbine for that matter with low hours, so it makes absolutely no-sense

collector
18th Feb 2009, 10:29
You need a full or stand alone FAA PPL(H), with a based on license you're only allowed to fly the types that are on your JAA PPL(H), so useless.

Hiller Bee,

Are you saying that holder of FFA PPL(H) issued on basis of JAA CPL(H) with B206 TR on it, is not allowed to rent, let's say R-22, make a flight rewiev with FAA CFI (one hour), and fly solo after that, even though the pilot has logged 100+ hours in R-22 (but no current TR in JAA license) :confused:

jemax
18th Feb 2009, 11:34
Hillerbee is correct your FAA license issued on the basis of the JAA is only valid if you have a current and valid JAA type rating on the type you intend to fly.

It is only the stand alone FAA license that allows you to fly any Rotorcraft category helicopter. Although, you may be legal to fly any of the aircraft in the rotorcraft category, if you had an accident or incident you would need to demonstrate that you had appropriate training to make you competent to fly that type.

So in theory, you could jump straight into a A109 from a robbie legally using a full FAA license, but if you had a prang you would be taken to the cleaners by the solicitors unless you had conducted appropriate training and had appropriate experience.

You also need to comply with the requirements of SFAR No73 to Part 61 if you are going to fly a R22 or R44 under your FAA license.

Where having a full FAA license is handy is for example last summer when I neeeded to position an aircraft. My JAA Typre rating had expired, but I was still able to position the Aircraft under my Full FAA license.

In real terms no-one in their right mind will let you jump into a bigger heli using the FAA license unless you have appropriate experience to that type, even if you have a license which says in principal you can.

collector
18th Feb 2009, 15:28
Hillerbee is correct your FAA license issued on the basis of the JAA is only valid if you have a current and valid JAA type rating on the type you intend to fly.

Thank your guys! :ok:

You also need to comply with the requirements of SFAR No73 to Part 61 if you are going to fly a R22 or R44 under your FAA license.

It seems to me that it's better to forget about flying the R-22 overthere :uhoh:
If you have the R-22 TR in your JAA license, do awareness training (or manufacturer's safety course) and annual flight rewiev by a FAA CFI requirements still apply?

To get a FAA PPL(H) you need to sit a written (computer) exam, and do at least three hours of training with a FAA CFI(H), then you 'might' (depends on your skill level, an instructor won't sign you off if it's marginal, because if you fail his pass-rate will be down, and can get the instructor in trouble) get an endorsment for the checkride, which you take with a DPE, after that you will have a temporary license issued on the spot. Furthermore you'll need TSA clearance which is not to hard to get, but takes a bit of time. www.flightschoolcandidates.gov (http://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov)

Is there the same procedure for a FAA CPL(H)?

If someone already has a FAA PPL(H) issued on the basis of the JAA CPL(H) does he still has to take a written exam prior to familiarization flying part and checkride?