PDA

View Full Version : Jumpseat trips - are they actually as rare as people think?

Quintilian
16th Feb 2009, 19:40
Hi!

Over the last few years I've gotten the impression that cockpit-visits aren't really allowed anymore. However during the past 14 months I've had 20 jumpseat trips out of a total of 23 flights.

I'm an ATC student in Sweden, but I've only been asked to show my student-ID on approx half the occasions I've flown.

Usually I just enter the cockpit after asking the Flight-attendants if I "may ask the pilots a question?", and ask the flight crew for the JS.

So long I've JS'ed in 737 (classic + NG, MD80, A319, BA146 and hoping for the Q400 next weekend :)

Have I been unusually lucky, or is it still generally possible to get the JS-experience out there?

/TH

5Y NJB
16th Feb 2009, 19:48
I think it's largely a question of luck. As far as I am aware, the "cockpit visit" rules are airline-dependent (although I am happy to be corrected on this); my boyfriend's a skipper and I know that even he is not allowed to jumpseat on flights he isn't crewing - that's how stringent the rules are in his company. Cockpit visits during flight = instant dismissal. However, other airlines appear to have different rules.

I fly a lot with a certain (East African) airline and am always jumpseating :)

Maybe your "luck" in this department is down to you being an ATC student? If I recall correctly, quite a number of airlines are happy to allow ATCOs and ATC students to jumpseat.

raffele
16th Feb 2009, 20:21
I'm not a professional but I believe I'm right in saying that when overflying the UK, only the flight crew actually on duty are allowed to enter the cockpit, meaning jumpseating's impossible. Which leads me to say you're incredibly lucky...

aviatordom
17th Feb 2009, 08:08
I'm not a pilot (yet)

But i'm almost certain that no-body is allowed to enter a flight-deck whilst in UK airspace. Not too sure about the rules for off-duty Pilots, Cabin-Crew and Engineers, but for Pax, it's a no-no:(

Nearly every UK airline has banned Jumpseat rides, regardless of where their aircraft are in the world.

Never the less, many European carriers still allow Jumpseat trips, not too rare i don't think, so we're all still in luck:ok:

I would jump at the opportunity to sit in the Jumpseat for a flight!:}

TightSlot
17th Feb 2009, 13:30
So...

You are apparently aware that what you have been doing (if you have really been doing it) is forbidden within the industry that you are presently training to join. Despite that, you feel that publicly boasting of your adventures and asking others for advice as to how best circumvent the rules on an industry forum is a good idea?

Worrying!

Katamarino
17th Feb 2009, 14:16
Tightslot, I think that is very harsh on the OP. If he has indeed been doing it, then it is obviously not forbidden. It's not like he's forcing his way onto the flight desk; he's asking the pilot, and *they are saying yes*. He also only said that he had 'gotten the impression' it was not done, and his own experience very obviously refutes this impression for him.

I don't see how that is in the slightest bit worrying?

strake
17th Feb 2009, 16:46
I think the point is that given the OP is training to be in ATC, he/she should have a very clear idea about what is and what is not allowed onboard a/c in the UK, quite a few European countries and the USA following 9/11.
Therefore to start a thread suggesting that commercial jumpseat rides are not "rare" could be seen as somewhat naive or, perhaps disingenuous.

Bealzebub
17th Feb 2009, 17:37
Under the posters name it says: Location: Norway. A clue perhaps? The poster also clearly states: I'm an ATC student in Sweden. Nothing to suggest any of these events are occuring in countries such as the UK or USA, who expressly prohibit unauthorised persons in the flight deck, while flying within their territory.

Presumably those scandinavian countries see no need for these measures?

Quintilian
17th Feb 2009, 18:09
Hi and thanks for the replies.

I didn't start the thread for "boasting" in any way. I was frankly curious concerning that I've gotten lucky so many times, while I seem to read everywhere that it is "strictly forbidden".

I don't think that there are any regulatory rules in Scandinavia prohibiting jumpseat trips as such. Most of the legs I've flown have been domestic Norwegian flights, or to and fro Copenhagen (I attend college in Malmö, and thus it's most convenient to fly to EKCH).

Cheers
TH