PDA

View Full Version : Choosing your TRAINER AIRCRAFT

Aerocadet
15th Feb 2009, 02:15
Good day!

I have been wondering on what trainer aircraft to use. I have thought of the following:

(FAA)
PPL - DA 20
Instrument - 172 G1000
CPL time build - DA 20/172 conventional/172 G1000
ME - DA 42
CFI - DA 20
CFII - DA 40 G1000/172 G1000
MEI - DA 42
(I have not included the complex.. Piper Arrow)

Can anyone give me advice on choosing your trainer aircraft? Would it be better if I stick to one type of aircraft?

Thanks a lot!!! :ok:

Luke SkyToddler
15th Feb 2009, 03:58
Whichever one's cheapest, as long as it's properly maintained then it really doesnt matter at all. If you can find a good school and an instructor you are happy with, then you certainly shouldn't worry about the type of aircraft they use.

If you're tall (over 6' 2 ish) then you'll probably struggle to fit into the katana or a C152, you might need to go for something like a C172 or PA28 from the start.

Kerosine
15th Feb 2009, 05:40
As a 6'3"-er I can vouch for the 152 being too snug, although the Katana is suprisingly roomy; that being said still nothing like a 172 however for pure spreading-out room on those navs. 'Best trainer aircraft' type discussions ultimately lead to no clear winner.

The 172/152 are tried and tested aircraft which most non-exmilitary airline pilots will have trained on (citation required!).
The Diamond DA-20 is used by my training organisation (we have about 7) and is a nice aircraft to fly and very economical given it's cruise speed of 120ish knots... 22L/Hr!
The DA-42, also manufactured by Diamond, is the twin built on the same principles as the Katana. Lightweight, sleek, economical. It cruise slightly slower than your average twin but the flying costs are considerably lower in fuel terms. Also they are equipped with G1000 displays; so full glass cockpit, moving maps and FADEC (you decide if that's an advantage in training or not!).

In regards to your question around consistancy of a/c while training, I don't think it affects training massively. I was switched from 172 to Katana and back again and found it took only a flight or two to get to grips with the differences in feel/characteristics. Even the transition from yoke to stick is a background mental process. The only disadvantage is learning a new POH every time you switch!

Aerocadet
15th Feb 2009, 10:29
Hello!

Thanks a lot for your reply!

I am really wondering what trainer aircrafts to use because I plan to train and finish with FAA PPL to MEI licenses. Afterwards, hoping to teach in Australia or SE Asia flight schools/academies.

I do have an additional question:

What's better in learning instrument procedures? In a G1000 or Conventional?

If I choose G1000, I plan to build time also on the Conventional so I could be able to teach just in case the flight school I plan to apply in has no G1000 equipped aircraft.

Thanks! :ok:

Kerosine
15th Feb 2009, 10:57
I couldn't speak from experience, however common sense would dictate that you learn to fly on the same aircraft you would be instructing on in Asia/Australia.

A bit of research on schools there might reveal the obvious choice of a/c.

ford cortina
15th Feb 2009, 11:41
One very important point here, why do you want to train on efis equipped aircraft?
If you go straight to a Airbus then okay, but, you are young and might end up on steam gauge equipped turbo props.

I fly two different types of Aircraft, one is Glass and the other is partial glass, which requires a scan, not unlike the one I used on the Beech Duchess. The aircraft..... Boeing 737-400 and 800.
If you can fly on basic instruments then you will find the transition to glass easier.
The standby instruments on our aircraft are conventional type, so you would need to able to use them.
just a thought

Aerocadet
15th Feb 2009, 22:40
I was thinking EFIS equipped light trainers could help me adjust in transitioning to larger aircrafts of today.

That was just an idea.. But I do prefer to start conventional then to glass.

Schools in Australia/Asia utilize mixed fleet right? (according to my research) Perhaps it would be better to get familiarized with those two systems.

Well, that is true, I'm still young and maybe someday I'll start flying in steam gauge equipped airplanes.

Thanks everyone for your inputs!

preduk
16th Feb 2009, 00:12
I started flying the DA20 but prefered the PA28 and switched over, I'm 6ft3-4ish so it gave me more room and the extra seats for my mates to come along :}