PDA

View Full Version : Flight Instructor!

sainty21
14th Feb 2009, 20:04
Hi all,

First post here so I apologise if it is in the wrong section,

Anyway, I have just started out on obtaining my PPL and am looking to complete it in about a year or so. My question is, Once I have obtained my PPL what route would I have to take to become a Flying Instructor?

How many exams? How many hours would I need? Age limitations etc

Many thanks, any info is appreciated!

Reluctant737
14th Feb 2009, 20:33
sainty21,

Congratulations on entering the world of aviation, the road will be fun!

In simple - do you want to become a career instructor? Or do you wish to move on to the airlines later on in life?

If you want to instruct as a career, after attaining your PPL you will need a commercial pilot's licence (CPL), and to get that you need to take the CPL theory exams. Following your CPL you will need to work towards an Instructor's Rating. Doing this will enable you to teach the PPL syllabus and earn money, daytime in good weather conditions. Of course it would be highly advisable if you wish to instruct in the long term to invest in an Instrument Rating as and when you can afford, because there's no telling where students will take you!

If you harbour ambitions to fly in the airlines, it's as per above, except you must complete the ATPL (air transport pilot's licence) theory instead of the CPL theory (it's harder and more in depth) and you must have the Instrument Rating. What's called a Multi Crew Cooperation (MCC) certificate is normally required also.

IIRC you require 200 hours total time to gain your CPL (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, it could be 150), but that gives you a rough idea.

There are no age limitations, I know a chap instructing who's 18.

And all of that is only applicable in the UK, but should be the same in all JAA states. May vary elsewhere though.

Whatever you decide,

BEST OF LUCK AND SAFE FLYING!

Ad :ok:

belleh
14th Feb 2009, 20:35
IIRC you require 200 hours total time to gain your CPL (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, it could be 150), but that gives you a rough idea.

It's 150 to be eligible to start the CPL course, but it wont be issued until you've completed 200.

Reluctant737
14th Feb 2009, 20:45
Cheers for that, thought they may have been it :ok:

sainty21
14th Feb 2009, 20:53
Reluctant737 Top reply, thank you very much :ok:

Reluctant737
14th Feb 2009, 21:09
Just remember -

PPL - Allows you the privileges therein

CPL - Required for ANY flying that will result in you being financially rewarded for it. Technically, if you take three friends flying and through all their inputs you will end up, say, 50 pence better off, you need a CPL. Extreme example, but just so you understand.

Instructor's Rating - This makes it legal for you to safely and accurately teach the PPL syllabus to others. You don't need a CPL to get this rating, but you just wouldn't be able to earn money unless you had the CPL.

So what I described aren't necessarily stages. They are all separate, but added together allow you to earn money as a flying instructor.

Any other info, do ask :ok:

sainty21
15th Feb 2009, 15:27
No that's pretty much a spot on answer,

once again thanks!

I-LICC
23rd Feb 2009, 12:59
Hi, sorry, i'm thinking to do the FI course when fiinish the ATPL,. i'ts necesary to do the ME/IR, or i can do the FI holding only my CPL ?

thanks

pd: sorry about my english, i'm learning ? :)

Charlie Zulu
23rd Feb 2009, 13:17
You can undergo the FIC course as long as you have one of the following:

1) PPL with at least 200 Hours (including 150 Hours P1)
2) CPL

and ONE of the following:

1) CPL theory exams passed.
2) ATPL theory exams passed.

You do not require an Multi rating or Instrument rating unless of course you wish to go on and gain additional instructor qualifications to teach IR's and Multi Class Ratings.

Of course if you wish to carry out instruction for remuneration, i.e. get paid to instruct then you will need a CPL.

I-LICC
23rd Feb 2009, 13:29
thank you very much CZ for your answer