PDA

View Full Version : Australian ATPL/market

blackbox123
14th Feb 2009, 12:21
I am interested in converting my South African ICAO ATPL to Australian ATPL.
Can anybody refer me to a flight school in Sydney area/instructor or an ex South African pilot who may be able to assit with the process to follow and possible work opportunies in ozz? Thank you.

helopat
16th Feb 2009, 07:06
Just a little bit of additional information for you...better that you're prepared.

On the plus side, there is no ATPL flight test here in Australia. But...

To get an aircrew license here you must:

a) get an ARN (license number) - costs money and requires a background check
b) take a language proficiency test - costs money; can be conducted by an ATO (testing officer)
c) taken an air law exam (relatively easy) - costs money
c) provide documentation of your ATPL andgo through the application process for recognition of that ATPL before having your license issued - application andlicense cost you and can take some time

Needless to say, there are some hoops to jump through. You can research this online through the CASA website....it has all the rules and requirements of converting licenses.

As to your question about working in Australia...that a whole new kettle of fish. I'm assuming you're a fixed wing driver, but regardless there are issues of work visas or immigration and then securing employment (or, perhaps, getting a promise of employment THEN seeking to get the relevant documents to allow you to work here.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but there are some obstacles to be overcome and a flight school may not be the answer to all your potential issues. Like I said, the CASA questions can be answered online, but employment issues are the bigger of the two obstacles.

As an expat myself I wish you all the best of luck...just want to make sure you go into this with your eyes wide open.

HP