PDA

View Full Version : Renewing my UK licence

whirleybloke
13th Feb 2009, 11:08
I got my PPL(H) in 1999 in the UK and last flew in 2001 and am trying to fathom out what I need to do to renew my licence - and work out the costs!

I'm rated on R22s with about 130 hours on type.

Apologies if this has answered before, but I can't find any up to date info.

Captain Gartmort
13th Feb 2009, 13:35
Read LASORS

LASORS: LASORS 2008 | Publications | CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=90&appid=11&mode=detail&id=1591)

ThomasTheTankEngine
13th Feb 2009, 17:29
I presume you have a UK issued PPL(H) if so as Captain Garmort said have a read of LASORS just to confirm things.

If your licence was issued by the UK is it a national PPL(H) or a JAA PPL(H)?

As far as I can remember a UK national PPL(H) was valid for life (I could be wrong though) but you would need to renew or revalidate your type ratings in order to fly, there may be other requirements.

If you have a UK issued JAA PPL(H) the licence it self would be valid for 5 years (See the expiry date on your licence, normally you have to apply for a new licence to the CAA before the old one runs out) But you also have to renew or revalidate your type ratings every 12 months (Type ratings last 1 year) There may also be some other requirements here.

Normally to renew a type rating you’d have to fly 2 hours in the previous 12 months on that type and carry out a LPC (Flight test) for that type with an FE(H) this would be the same for a national PPL(H) or a JAA PPL(H)

However if you haven’t flown for a while then you’d probably have to fly more than 2 hours with an instructor to come up to a good standard to pass the LPC. This would be at the discretion of the flight training school (FTO, TRTO or RF, not sure if this can be done with an RF)

My suggestion would be visit your local training school with your log book, licence etc and ask them, they should be able to sort you out.

Good luck.

Hangar3
13th Feb 2009, 17:46
LASORS Section F Part 8.5

Training needs to be done at a FTO or TRTO:

Pass Type Rating Written Exam

Training as required by to pass flight test, which must be at least 2 hours

Pass LPC with Examiner

Send all paperwork to CAA with the payment

CAA will send you back a new up to date Type Rating Page. Examiner should not sign off your Type Ratings page.

Check your licence - if it is JAA it may expired also, then when you submit your up to date Type Rating you'll also need to submit a licence renewal form (and don't forget the payment for that as well!).

You should also have a medical to cover the issue date of rating or licence, or at least evidence of an up coming medical test.

H3

whirleybloke
13th Feb 2009, 21:07
Thanks for the pointers.

It's a PPL(H). I should have looked at the actual licence before, but it says '... for the holder's lifetime unless revoked, suspended or varied.' I'll pop over the Cambridge - where I did my training - and have a chat.

I was recently sent an update to the licence which sort of stirred me into thinking about flying again. I feel the addiction returning.

ThomasTheTankEngine
14th Feb 2009, 09:35
Hi Wirleybloke

From what you've said you have a national PPL(H) so you should just need to renew your typerating as per hanger3's post.

Capt. Phuong
14th Mar 2009, 14:04
Hi!
I have the UK ATPL licence, it expared 3 year ago. Now I want to renew this licence. How can I do this subject? I did one time, send every my ducument to CAA UK, but for pong time after that, I receive the letter from them said: My Medical exam is Military type, not configuration with their system. Then I could't find out the way to get Medical of CV in Vietnam. Because I am flying in the Military now. Is the it can I get renewal my CAA licence more??